GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Eddie Olcyk just proclaims Nate McKinnon the best player of the world. Host offers up Mathews and McDavid with a little blurp said acknowledging Mathews. Silence on McDavid. Incredulously some in the league and its media are still sleeping on McDavid. For the record, my list is McDavid, McKinnon and then Draisaitl/Captain America.I love McKinnon's game and he carried an Aves team with substantial injury problems last year... but he's not Connor McDavid.

In Ontario the media push Nostrils as the best player in the world.

In BC the media push Diving Petey as the best player in the world.

In the USA the media push MacKinnon as the best player in the world.

We’re surrounded.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Eddie Olcyk just proclaims Nate McKinnon the best player of the world. Host offers up Mathews and McDavid with a little blurp said acknowledging Mathews. Silence on McDavid. Incredulously some in the league and its media are still sleeping on McDavid. For the record, my list is McDavid, McKinnon and then Draisaitl/Captain America.I love McKinnon's game and he carried an Aves team with substantial injury problems last year... but he's not Connor McDavid.

it’s pandering to the US audience for sure, combined with probably a bit of ignorance. The guy playing for a US team and the #1 American player will definitely get brought up more on a US broadcast than Canadian players (let alone German players) on Canadian teams.

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
it’s pandering to the US audience for sure, combined with probably a bit of ignorance. The guy playing for a US team and the #1 American player will definitely get brought up more on a US broadcast than Canadian players on Canadian teams.

No offense. I understand the context. I'm not surprise or ever surprised that we're subsumed pretty much all the time with 'Merica perspective living in the shadow of a giant. In context it is a quick, throw away sound byte but still reflects the narrow cast view. NHL needs to do a way better job of marketing its stars.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
No offense. I understand the context. I'm not surprise or ever surprised that we're subsumed pretty much all the time with 'Merica perspective living in the shadow of a giant. In context it is a quick, throw away sound byte but still reflects the narrow cast view. NHL needs to do a way better job of marketing its stars.

I agree. The issue is just that with America being so obsessed with America, the majority of fans getting into a sport that has never been overly popular there will probably remain ignorant of non-American players. Majority of basketball stars - American, football stars - American, baseball stars - American.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree. The issue is just that with America being so obsessed with America, the majority of fans getting into a sport that has never been overly popular there will probably remain ignorant of non-American players. Majority of basketball stars - American, football stars - American, baseball stars - American.

agree.

sorry the other point I wanted to make is I think a lot of media and peeps are sleeping on how much better Connor’s own zone game has improved. He’s been killing it this year.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
In Ontario the media push Nostrils as the best player in the world.

In BC the media push Diving Petey as the best player in the world.

In the USA the media push MacKinnon as the best player in the world.

We’re surrounded.

The league doesn't respect McDavid, as is evidenced by the constant clutching, holding and tripping allowed against him we see most nights. The media just follows their lead.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The league doesn't respect McDavid, as is evidenced by the constant clutching, holding and tripping allowed against him we see most nights. The media just follows their lead.

Yeah, if McDavid and Matthews were drafted by the opposite franchises, McDavid would be getting the royal treatment and Matthews would be chopped liver.

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That is Down Goes Brown’s opinion.

And my questions are who is Down Goes Brown any why should I give a f*** about what he thinks?

In the end if you don’t like it all I can suggest is don’t watch.

He's just poking some fun at it. He's a really good writer. I have one of his books, highly recommend it. Guy is really funny, and intertwines hockey and humor in a great way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad