Around the League 2020-21 Part 3, Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Canes fan here. Apparently Seravalli mentioned on his latest radio show that the Kings and the Canes were talking quite a bit about Sean Walker the last week or so. I don't know much about him, but I thought that the problem in LA's defensive group was MacDermid and not Walker. I know that he's been a -12 since signing that extension, but at least as far as the eye test is concerned, he's got a really nice set of skates, is locked up to a medium-term at a good cap hit, and seems like he would be a fit with us. It just seems like Faber and Grans are a few seasons off and therefore a Walker trade doesn't look to make a lot of sense barring a premium return.

That's a good read of Walker's game imo

there's probably a concern on our part about protection between him and others, and knowing we need an LHD upgrade. Are any of the folks you mentioned exempt from expansion pickins?

Otherwise I like the package above

Reactions: Lt Dan

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
nope he is on waivers for purpose of contract termination. he done

I think Gusev is looking to sign with somebody for the stretch run. Zach Bogosian did something similar last year, his cap hit was too much for somebody to trade for even with retention. He mutually terminated his deal with Buffalo and signed with Tampa a day later for number they could fit under the cap.

Gusev on a minimal deal for the remainder of the year is a low risk gamble. Although I do laugh that there's one guy on the main board posting KHL highlights of Gusev going coast to coast and still claiming him to be a Lamborghini. On the flip side, here's a Gusev lowlight from this season:

Tries to go coast to coast, loses an edge, drifts over to the left wing in the defensive zone even though he's the right wing on the line.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Canes fan here. Apparently Seravalli mentioned on his latest radio show that the Kings and the Canes were talking quite a bit about Sean Walker the last week or so. I don't know much about him, but I thought that the problem in LA's defensive group was MacDermid and not Walker. I know that he's been a -12 since signing that extension, but at least as far as the eye test is concerned, he's got a really nice set of skates, is locked up to a medium-term at a good cap hit, and seems like he would be a fit with us. It just seems like Faber and Grans are a few seasons off and therefore a Walker trade doesn't look to make a lot of sense barring a premium return.
i know my opinion is automatically written off as being a macdermid shill here but i don't think walker is immune from criticism for the +/-, but i also think his offensive talents are held back a bit systems-wise (or maybe he's just nervous to use them). when he activates he does it with purpose and i really like defensemen like that, but he does lose guys in the D zone a bit more often than i like

he burst onto the scene then kinda fizzled in some sense, but i do think he's a relatively valuable player, perhaps even moreso in a different system. contract is probably fair, and i don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth one bit, he's an undrafted NCAA free agent that literally took an NHL spot. that deserves a ton of respect

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Moving Walker makes sense for the Kings, his age kind of puts him in that no-mans land if the Kings are going to just wait for the prospects and not make a move for someone this summer. I would think the Kings would not be looking to add anyone who would have to be protected in the expansion draft, so the preferred return would be a draft pick(s).

The Kings go 7-3-1 with Doughty, Roy and Clague being protected.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Moving Walker makes sense for the Kings, his age kind of puts him in that no-mans land if the Kings are going to just wait for the prospects and not make a move for someone this summer. I would think the Kings would not be looking to add anyone who would have to be protected in the expansion draft, so the preferred return would be a draft pick(s).

I imagine that the package being offered to LA is going to be some combination of expansion-eligible and expansion-exempt assets. Something like, say, Fleury/Geekie/Sellgren for Walker/4th.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Here's a contrarian scenario -- Blake swaps Walker for a LHD and then protects 5D (Doughty, Roy, Clague, Strand, LHD) and protects Kopitar, Kempe and Grundstrom. Who is worth more to the Kings the D (Strand/Clague) or forwards (Moore/Anderssen/Lemieux/Lizzotte etc).

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i know my opinion is automatically written off as being a macdermid shill here but i don't think walker is immune from criticism for the +/-, but i also think his offensive talents are held back a bit systems-wise (or maybe he's just nervous to use them). when he activates he does it with purpose and i really like defensemen like that, but he does lose guys in the D zone a bit more often than i like

he burst onto the scene then kinda fizzled in some sense, but i do think he's a relatively valuable player, perhaps even moreso in a different system. contract is probably fair, and i don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth one bit, he's an undrafted NCAA free agent that literally took an NHL spot. that deserves a ton of respect

No, I think you're right, but I'd also add that the dip in play has mostly been since he got his face blown up.

Even last year he was playing with Doughty and looked good in that role too. Guy has some upside for sure, even if he's got some inconsistencies to edge out lately. But then again--everyone that plays with MacDermid has issues, even Roy, even Doughty.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Here's a contrarian scenario -- Blake swaps Walker for a LHD and then protects 5D (Doughty, Roy, Clague, Strand, LHD) and protects Kopitar, Kempe and Grundstrom. Who is worth more to the Kings the D (Strand/Clague) or forwards (Moore/Anderssen/Lemieux/Lizzotte etc).

why Grundstrom?

Reactions: KingLB

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Other than wanting to see a little more from Strand I don't think this is that crazy. Most of the exposed forwards are roughly mix and match otherwise.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Other than wanting to see a little more from Strand I don't think this is that crazy. Most of the exposed forwards are roughly mix and match otherwise.

And then you also have Moverare to think about. Only protecting forwards Kempe and Kopitar!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He goes to the net? He's still young and shows glimpses of real value. Not a no brainer though.

gotcha. He is in the mix for protection for sure. Was hoping Anderson would show more. Bad asset management to spend a 2nd rounder to expose someone the next year. I think he gets protection just so Blake can cover his own backside.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront

I think it makes sense for the Kings to trade Walker regardless of whether they wait for the prospects (most of whom are forwards anyway) or add pieces in the summer. With the emergence of Strand and Clague being comfortable playing RD, it’s good asset management to use Walker to bolster LHD depth. Unless Wolanin is it (who???).

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I really like your opinions here. They are well thought out and very accurate. Keep doing what youhave been doing
Good fellowship thread, hoping to have a visit in my private messages from a certain Spirit Uplifter poster for posting too much good will.

Reactions: Lt Dan

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
He goes to the net? He's still young and shows glimpses of real value. Not a no brainer though.

Is he though? I mentioned this before...he is only 6 months younger than Amadio..

People rightly started calling out Amadio last year, and this year was his “last chance”. I don’t see how Grundy isn’t in the same spot next year? Which would mean he definitely isn’t worth protecting.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Is he though? I mentioned this before...he is only 6 months younger than Amadio..

People rightly started calling out Amadio last year, and this year was his “last chance”. I don’t see how Grundy isn’t in the same spot next year? Which would mean he definitely isn’t worth protecting.

Mike Amadio: May 13, 1996

Carl Grundstrom: December 1, 1997

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I’m bad at math. I swear I looked at it 3 times, and still swapped the years/players or something!!

Point kinda stands...Grundy isn’t that young! And KingLB isn’t that smart...

I only checked because I thought Grundstrom was much younger than Amadio. 19 months is a gap but not a monumental one.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I know they are strong on RW's, but you have to figure Montreal is going to find a way to get Caufield up sooner rather than later. Their PP is very average and he could make a difference atleast in that part of the game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
gotcha. He is in the mix for protection for sure. Was hoping Anderson would show more. Bad asset management to spend a 2nd rounder to expose someone the next year. I think he gets protection just so Blake can cover his own backside.
Nobody would pick Andersson so there is no reason to protect him. It would be like protecting Alt. If Seattle did take him, then it is a win for the Kings.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

If they move Walker alone or as part of a package, I would prefer getting a prospect(s) or a young player who is expansion draft exempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad