Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eichel should also still be good when Kopitar's contract ends.

I think @KINGS17 mentioned earlier that an Eichel trade means they better be contending within the next three years. I agree but I also believe that they better be contending within the next three years regardless. Kings could be looking at this down the middle:

Eichel
Kopitar
Vilardi
Byfield/Turcotte (whoever doesn't go in the trade)

Kopitar could be very Bergeron-esque as he ages if they can get his f***ing minutes into the 18 range like Bergeron v. this 21 a night he has logged for years now. Eichel looks like he has a lot of tread on the tires and converting one of these lottery tickets into a known quantity has to be looked at.

I mean all other stuff aside that's the major reason I even waver on Eichel.

The idea of Kopitar as a 2C is just unreal. When Avs fans started a thread asking about him last year, it was like imagine a world in which either MacKinnon is free to run rampant (even more I guess) while Kopitar does the heavy lifting or loosening Kopitar up from his heavy responsibility even a bit.

It would be massive to have Eichel / Kopitar / Byfield-Vilardi-Turcotte down the middle in similar manner, and even better than Kopitar-Carter-Stoll. That's scary. It's hard to not think about it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I mean all other stuff aside that's the major reason I even waver on Eichel.

The idea of Kopitar as a 2C is just unreal. When Avs fans started a thread asking about him last year, it was like imagine a world in which either MacKinnon is free to run rampant (even more I guess) while Kopitar does the heavy lifting or loosening Kopitar up from his heavy responsibility even a bit.

It would be massive to have Eichel / Kopitar / Byfield-Vilardi-Turcotte down the middle in similar manner, and even better than Kopitar-Carter-Stoll. That's scary. It's hard to not think about it.

Kopitar-Richards/Carter-Stoll

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
If the Kings are going to empty the cupboard for a stud player it needs to be a big mobile shutdown Dman not another C.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
What if your cupboard is so full that you aren't emptying it?
What if you see the cupboard is full but the cans aren't labeled?

Its best to know what you have before you go shopping, lest you spend money on what you already have three cans of and you have to make another trip to the market to get what you are still missing.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Its best to know what you have before you go shopping, lest you spend money on what you already have three cans of and you have to make another trip to the market to get what you are still missing.

Sure, but what if you could hedge by getting something that is labeled perfectly for the mystery cans? Just depends on how much you believe in the mystery cans v. how much you like the labeled one.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Are you saying the Kings may have all lima beans, or creamed spinach.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Are you saying the Kings may have all lima beans, or creamed spinach.
Possibly, but they could also already have two of everything you could need. And I like lima beans and spinach, for the record.

Point is, if you trade multiple high end assets now you are risking moving out elements that could very likely be far more valuable to the end goal than adding a 3rd #1 center to a team that isn't even a solid playoff contender yet.

I am not opposed to adding now - I am the guy that thinks the Kings next first rounder should be in play - but I don't want to move out what it would take for Eichel. The Kings don't need any more high end centers.

Reactions: KINGS17

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
We are drowning in centers in the pipeline no doubt. I think Byfield is untouchable right now, though. The org is high on him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Possibly, but they could also already have two of everything you could need. And I like lima beans and spinach, for the record.

Point is, if you trade multiple high end assets now you are risking moving out elements that could very likely be far more valuable to the end goal than adding a 3rd #1 center to a team that isn't even a solid playoff contender yet.

I am not opposed to adding now - I am the guy that thinks the Kings next first rounder should be in play - but I don't want to move out what it would take for Eichel. The Kings don't need any more high end centers.
Yeah, I don't suppose we could interest Buffalo in a slightly dented can of Kopitar and various other dried sundries.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What if your cupboard is so full that you aren't emptying it?

Like a few years ago with the Ducks? Remember how stack on d they were and refused to move any of them to improve their team, only to either move them later for pennies on the dollar or just release them.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I think the odds are against either Byfield or Turcotte becoming as good as Eichel. Neither of those two players had the same amount of hype as him and he has lived up to it. He is arguably a top 10 center in the league right now. So, I can't imagine either prospect is untouchable in a deal for a player of this caliber. The question then becomes the price, if the Kings could move one of those two, along with a 1st and a young defenseman I think you do it. If it gets more expensive then that, then you really have to start being careful. The interesting aspect is that there are not a lot of teams with the capspace and the value to swing this trade. That means that if Eichel ends up wanting out they might be able to get him for around that value. It's honestly a good position the Kings are in and they should take advantage if the opportunity presents itself.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Alex Burrows? ok... All Julien has to do is sit around for a couple years and Montreal will hire him again.

Burrows and Perry on the same team...yuck

That said sure sounds like Burrows has made good waives coaching. I though Gallant would be brought in somewhere by now. Montreal needing a French speaking coach is just stupid and really limits them.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think the odds are against either Byfield or Turcotte becoming as good as Eichel. Neither of those two players had the same amount of hype as him and he has lived up to it. He is arguably a top 10 center in the league right now. So, I can't imagine either prospect is untouchable in a deal for a player of this caliber. The question then becomes the price, if the Kings could move one of those two, along with a 1st and a young defenseman I think you do it. If it gets more expensive then that, then you really have to start being careful. The interesting aspect is that there are not a lot of teams with the capspace and the value to swing this trade. That means that if Eichel ends up wanting out they might be able to get him for around that value. It's honestly a good position the Kings are in and they should take advantage if the opportunity presents itself.
The difficulty of life and decisions for Rob Blake as a GM are going to increase dramatically soon. He has run the easiest part of the course. From here on the degree of difficulty increases.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Alex Burrows? ok... All Julien has to do is sit around for a couple years and Montreal will hire him again.
agreed on both

With Burrows...seriously WTF. Is he going to teach them how to be a weasel?

And with Bill Dauterive. the guy is a good coach. I know it is easier to fire one guy than an entire team, but come on

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
agreed on both

With Burrows...seriously WTF. Is he going to teach them how to be a weasel?

And with Bill Dauterive. the guy is a good coach. I know it is easier to fire one guy than an entire team, but come on

they already have Perry to do that

Reactions: Lt Dan

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
pjEbaXPYza2uZDr6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad