Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
what's your take on 2014? I was a Kopitar guy for 2014 over Williams. Yes Williams was Mr Game 7, but I think Kopitar did more to actually get those series to game 7s.

It always seems like a showhorse wins out over the packhorse. I agree with the comment that had Kopitar done more scoring in the Ranger series he probably would have won.

The other take I had on the 2012 run was the defense wasn't quite as "flawless" as I remembered. There were plenty of bad passes, missed assignments etc. at the individual level. What saved them was an amazing commitment to team defense -- one guy screwed up someone stepped right in to back him up or an insane Quick as a last resort. Good times.

Reactions: YP44

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
EnZPSLeHs8EumEsIP7siCSmSrso5FjNMBCdwH_HhywBpmlsLf91IkTG4JaFv0d4-S0So6Xe95hQWb8r4n05nMmM

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
nice comments on the kings in this round up article in the Athletic.

DGB weekend rankings: An outdoor debacle, a bottom 5 shakeup, and yes, the Leafs

The Athletic is really worth subscribing to if you can.

The kings bit is:

Not ranked: Los Angeles Kings – The Kings have been a bottom-five mainstay, not just this year but for the last several. Not this week, though, after four straight wins. That put them over .500 and into the playoff picture in the West. Now the question might be whether we see them back, or if this is finally a goodbye to a rebuilding team that’s ready for better things.
We won’t get ahead of ourselves and call the Kings contenders, but they do seem like a team that’s ready for the next step. And it’s the right time for it, because the prospect pipeline is flush and the veterans still have at least a little bit left in the tank. And oh yeah, there’s probably one playoff spot available in the West this year that shouldn’t take much more than .550 hockey to claim.
We’ve seen plenty of teams try to rebuild and end up spinning their wheels for years without ever getting traction. That could still happen in Los Angeles – they’ve been rolling for four games, not four months – but all the signs are pointing in the right direction. Nobody wants to spend much time in the NHL’s mushy middle. But when you’ve been in the basement for a few years, a quick stopover on your way to the upper half of the standings starts sounding pretty good.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
nice comments on the kings in this round up article in the Athletic.

DGB weekend rankings: An outdoor debacle, a bottom 5 shakeup, and yes, the Leafs

The Athletic is really worth subscribing to if you can.

The kings bit is:

Not ranked: Los Angeles Kings – The Kings have been a bottom-five mainstay, not just this year but for the last several. Not this week, though, after four straight wins. That put them over .500 and into the playoff picture in the West. Now the question might be whether we see them back, or if this is finally a goodbye to a rebuilding team that’s ready for better things.
We won’t get ahead of ourselves and call the Kings contenders, but they do seem like a team that’s ready for the next step. And it’s the right time for it, because the prospect pipeline is flush and the veterans still have at least a little bit left in the tank. And oh yeah, there’s probably one playoff spot available in the West this year that shouldn’t take much more than .550 hockey to claim.
We’ve seen plenty of teams try to rebuild and end up spinning their wheels for years without ever getting traction. That could still happen in Los Angeles – they’ve been rolling for four games, not four months – but all the signs are pointing in the right direction. Nobody wants to spend much time in the NHL’s mushy middle. But when you’ve been in the basement for a few years, a quick stopover on your way to the upper half of the standings starts sounding pretty good.

I'm sick of him crapping on the kings all the time. Nice to see him starting to change.

Side note, anyone see Toffoli hit Muzzin with his stick on a follow through of a shot. Broken jaw for Muzzin and he will miss time. King on King crime.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't think there's a right answer here, really. Every time I come back to the idea I struggle with it and basically flip a coin.

It really would just come down to what solid decision you make on philosophy--are we building Turcotte/Byfield/Vilardi/Bjornfot's team? Or are we going for it with Kopitar/Doughty/Brown for the next 5ish years? Unfortunately there's that huge gap in the middle really only occupied by like Roy and Kempe and Walker.

If it's really the second plan, that's a HARD NO from me, dog. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown will not contend for a championship ever again as the centerpiece core. Their ship has sailed regardless of who's around them. Otherwise, they'd still be dragging this team into a low seed instead of lottery picks.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
As long as the trajectory is up, I don't mind a season as the 7-10 seed. Becoming a contender the year after a lottery finish isn't going to happen.

We aren't the rangers with the fastest rebuild ever.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If it's really the second plan, that's a HARD NO from me, dog. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown will not contend for a championship ever again as the centerpiece core. Their ship has sailed regardless of who's around them. Otherwise, they'd still be dragging this team into a low seed instead of lottery picks.
But if you acquire Eichel, its a Kopitar Doughty Eichel core. More respectable. At the very least we’re running a Pittsburgh model for several seasons. Probably longer.

I dunno if I agree fully with pulling the trigger on Eichel but it’s tempting seeing the potential depth we can surround 2 wicked centres and a stud dman with. Gets easier to commit to as our draft slot diminishes with the all the wins too. Shrug.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
But if you acquire Eichel, its a Kopitar Doughty Eichel core. More respectable. At the very least we’re running a Pittsburgh model for several seasons. Probably longer.

I dunno if I agree fully with pulling the trigger on Eichel but it’s tempting seeing the potential depth we can surround 2 wicked centres and a stud dman with. Gets easier to commit to as our draft slot diminishes with the all the wins too. Shrug.
Who would the kings be willing to trade to get eichel

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
IF the Sabres consider trading Eichel, it's not going to happen until the offseason, likely at/or just prior to the entry draft (post expansion draft).

Sabres healthy scratched Jeff Skinner yesterday. He is in the second season of an eight-year, $72 million contract, has just one assist in 14 games this season. This deal is not going to age well at all. Jeebus.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
IF the Sabres consider trading Eichel, it's not going to happen until the offseason, likely at/or just prior to the entry draft (post expansion draft).

Sabres healthy scratched Jeff Skinner yesterday. He is in the second season of an eight-year, $72 million contract, has just one assist in 14 games this season. This deal is not going to age well at all. Jeebus.

Skinner has to be some damn frustrating for Saber fans. Guy has 40 goal potential some years and is invisible other years.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Having 3 players take up 31M in cap space probably isn't a great idea unless those players are the elite of the elite.

Acquiring Eichel would essentially result in the Kings being a playoff team that's not good enough to win the SC and has little cap space, no 1st round pick, and some of our best prospects gone. I'll pass.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Having 3 players take up 31M in cap space probably isn't a great idea unless those players are the elite of the elite.

Acquiring Eichel would essentially result in the Kings being a playoff team that's not good enough to win the SC and has little cap space, no 1st round pick, and some of our best prospects gone. I'll pass.

I think Eichel is in discussion for elite of elite. LA has a lot of cap space and by the time players need to re-signed off entry level or bridge deals some big deals will be off the books. 100% depending on cost I would do it.

Reactions: lumbergh

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

Brown and Carter account for 11 million freed up after next year. Quick over 5 the year after. Even if one or more of them return it will be a reduced salary. ELC talent and likely some bridge deals coming through the pipeline over the next couple seasons. Even if the cap doesn’t start rising a couple seasons down the line- and it should- I don’t forsee cap space to be a problem.

Also, if the Kings actually make a playoff push I think our 1st becomes more and more likely to be trade bait for an impact piece at the draft (I wouldn’t spend anything at this deadline).

IMO, it all comes down to 1)how the team acquits itself down the stretch and shows some growth, and 2) what combo of picks and prospects we can offer that Buffalo would consider. If we can get away with only one of Byfield or Turcotte in the deal it’s something that needs to be discussed. We should have a fairly full cupboard even after one of these trades to support the main core. But I would not make a habit of it, it has to be the perfect piece. Is Eichel that piece? Hard to say, but he’s close.

Reactions: YP44

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Brown and Carter account for 11 million freed up after next year. Quick over 5 the year after. Even if one or more of them return it will be a reduced salary. ELC talent and likely some bridge deals coming through the pipeline over the next couple seasons. Even if the cap doesn’t start rising a couple seasons down the line- and it should- I don’t forsee cap space to be a problem.

Also, if the Kings actually make a playoff push I think our 1st becomes more and more likely to be trade bait for an impact piece at the draft (I wouldn’t spend anything at this deadline).

IMO, it all comes down to 1)how the team acquits itself down the stretch and shows some growth, and 2) what combo of picks and prospects we can offer that Buffalo would consider. If we can get away with only one of Byfield or Turcotte in the deal it’s something that needs to be discussed. We should have a fairly full cupboard even after one of these trades to support the main core. But I would not make a habit of it, it has to be the perfect piece. Is Eichel that piece? Hard to say, but he’s close.

Eichel should also still be good when Kopitar's contract ends.

I think @KINGS17 mentioned earlier that an Eichel trade means they better be contending within the next three years. I agree but I also believe that they better be contending within the next three years regardless. Kings could be looking at this down the middle:

Eichel
Kopitar
Vilardi
Byfield/Turcotte (whoever doesn't go in the trade)

Kopitar could be very Bergeron-esque as he ages if they can get his f***ing minutes into the 18 range like Bergeron v. this 21 a night he has logged for years now. Eichel looks like he has a lot of tread on the tires and converting one of these lottery tickets into a known quantity has to be looked at.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Maybe. Hard to say, really. Pulling in a player like Eichel could reinvigorate all the veterans, theoretically. But really hard to say.

Personally, I'd rather wait and see how these prospects develop on our own. No easy outs are coming. Byfield, Turcotte, etc. are going to need to do what Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty did: take ownership of a losing culture and change it themselves.

I HOPE this current season is analogous to 07/08, with 21/22 being more akin to 08/09, and 22/23 being like 09/10 with our first real playoff birth. However, even that's difficult to predict right now with so many core pieces still yet to even graduate into full time NHL duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad