AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Ageism challenge

66767583-2856794141060149-5264408970247798784-n.jpg

Reactions: glenwo2

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just red an article that the developing company now owns over 150 million people's faces and can use them however they want, whenever they want, basically forever.

free always has a * on it. to be honest though that information was probably stolen 5x over already. I'm sure everyone's information has been compromised at some point its just if/when they decide to use it.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I tried to share my face but the app rejected it saying that faces submitted had to be human.

Not gonna lie, I tried it on a few pics of our dogs just to see if it would do anything

I guess that will be the next one, PetFaceApp

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Just red an article that the developing company now owns over 150 million people's faces and can use them however they want, whenever they want, basically forever.
i saw the washington post article saying that dems are warning people or something to delete the app bc a russian based company made it

tbh, that's basically nationalistic/racist propaganda, and is no different than if we caught wind of the russian/chinese government saying not to DL facebook/instagram, strictly bc it's developed by an american company.

sick of this bullshit

Reactions: Dialamo and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
i saw the washington post article saying that dems are warning people or something to delete the app bc a russian based company made it

tbh, that's basically nationalistic/racist propaganda, and is no different than if we caught wind of the russian/chinese government saying not to DL facebook/instagram, strictly bc it's developed by an american company.

sick of this bull****

Exactly, it's media drive propaganda. Almost every single thing you do as far as APPs and stuff has VERY similar terms and conditions but because this a Russian based company.

Reactions: Dialamo

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Exactly, it's media drive propaganda. Almost every single thing you do as far as APPs and stuff has VERY similar terms and conditions but because this a Russian based company.

so just to be correct you are ok with them using your images and information for purposes other then what you thought you were authorizing?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yes, plenty apps have similar terms and conditions, but this app also *bypasses* what it should have access on the phone. Which is the core problem of the app, and allows it to access more than what is advertised. So while yes it is shady, the fact that the company that makes it is Russian and can have extensive access to millions of peoples phones, make people more concerned. And rightly so.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
so just to be correct you are ok with them using your images and information for purposes other then what you thought you were authorizing?

Just so we are clear, I NEVER said that. I get what you're trying to do but if you're the type to specifically read every single line of fine print in a terms and conditions notice for everything than more power to you.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yes, plenty apps have similar terms and conditions, but this app also *bypasses* what it should have access on the phone. Which is the core problem of the app, and allows it to access more than what is advertised. So while yes it is shady, the fact that the company that makes it is Russian and can have extensive access to millions of peoples phones, make people more concerned. And rightly so.
who says? unless you've read it on your own and can find the actual lines/compare it to instagram/fb's terms. but generally i don't trust peoples' reporting these days. the russian thing is kinda iffy to say

anywayyyyyyy, if the russians can hack henrik's phone and throw him off his game, then more power to em ;)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Facebook got pulled from the App store for doing the same thing. Ooh, Russia. I'd be terrified if I was in a John Le Carre novel. Yeah, Russia is pretty shitty when it comes to spying and using information and murdering journalists and shit, but your average Joe is of no interest to them.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Your neighborhood IT guy here. Ideally, you shouldn't give ANY company access to your biometric information (Fingerprints, eye and face scans, etc.). This wasn't a prominent public concern until the past couple years (So you can almost forgive the mass-phototaggers on Facebook a decade ago), but it is finally in the zeitgeist now. It's bad opsec.

You should always provide third-parties with the bare minimum amount of information necessary for the service. Don't let anyone scan your face.

(Also, Russian tech firms are no worse than Chinese, American, or Indian. Bumble is Russian and no one poo-poos that.)

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just so we are clear, I NEVER said that. I get what you're trying to do but if you're the type to specifically read every single line of fine print in a terms and conditions notice for everything than more power to you.
you said it was media propaganda which to me means you don't really care or believe it to be a real threat. people seem to be hung up on the russian part of it when it would still be bigly wrong if it was even a british company doing it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
you said it was media propaganda which to me means you don't really care or believe it to be a real threat. people seem to be hung up on the russian part of it when it would still be bigly wrong if it was even a british company doing it.

My thing isn't so much that it's a threat but that people are bringing up the country in which the business is based out of as if it's MORE of a threat BECAUSE it's Russia. Regardless of country, it's shady AF.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think there's wiggle-room here for everyone to be at least partially correct.

True, this isnt a great thing regardless of who's doing it, but we should be geopolitically savvy enough to recognize that magnitude of threat does statistically vary by originating nation. That should be pretty obvious, so not sure what kind of PC Scooby-snack points some think they're banking by pretending that isn't the case.

If I threw a dart at a corporate dartboard & accidentally leaked some data, I'd far rather it randomly touch a Swedish or an English firm than a Chinese or a Russian company. That belief isnt based upon "bias", it's based on an understanding of where a hefty chunk of the fin-crime version of the Wild, Wild, West currently resides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad