Around the league 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I could easily see Calgary missing the playoffs this season. Lindholm massively overachiever last year, Giordano is a year older and they don’t have great forward depth.

Tkachuk is an absolute beast though. Think of all the RFAs that had a hard time coming to terms this offseason he will end up being the most complete player.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Oilers do look better than in ages, they actually play good team defense even though they don't have big names in their back end. McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing as one would imagine. However, they have played against pretty bad teams so far, Neal has been scoring like crazy and I don't think he can continue like that (I think he ends the season with 25-30 goals) and they have come from behind in all of their victories. Their next three games are against Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit who are not that great. First real test could be Winnipeg next Sunday.

It's still early but Pacific seems weak and unpredictable and with the presumed good teams (San Jose, Calgary) failing, Oilers could sneak into the playoffs. These early season wins are important and they can make a difference in the Spring. Looking at their lineup it's still hard to imagine them as a playoff team, but they do have competent coach at the moment they don't need offensive depth if McDavid and Draisaitl keep scoring for others, 3rd and 4th line just need to prevent the other team from scoring.

It's still early in the season and I expect one or both of San Jose and Calgary to wake up as the season progresses, I think they are too talented to not to.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm fine with Oilers making the playoffs, because if the Ducks also get in i'm 100% confident the Ducks will beat the Oilers.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would like to see both the Ducks and the Rangers make the playoffs, love both teams. I think the Rangers have more concerns, and more holes to fill to be honest, including improving their D which is kinda young now and will take time, questionable goaltending with an aging Lundqvist, and center depth issues. After Mika Zibanejad there is Ryan Strome.... nuff said.

If Anaheim had that top 4D to QB the PP and improve the PP, along with getting another consistent scoring line, they will make some noise this year if the goaltending continues or plays at least close to the 1st 5 games. Anaheim has two solid scoring lines when Getz is on his game, and have hope he will find his legs since Eakins is not overkilling his mins. Also they have an excellent 4th line with Grant on there and a 3rd line with Henrique who is a 2c/3C tweener and can put up some decent points. Rangers have one very good elite scoring line of Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich, and then it’s utter chaos below that. Need to find a center for Kakko and Kreider and it’s not easy, center depth drops a lot after Zibanejad.

I think it’s critical to have an above average top 4th line, which can be your 3rd line when needed. Sorry just ranting.

Also, damn, Ottawa beat Tampa? Wow.
What if Henrik does a Giguere 2003 type playoff run ? He could do that seeing as he likely only has a few years left.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What if Henrik does a Giguere 2003 type playoff run ? He could do that seeing as he likely only has a few years left.

It’s possible, he has looked pretty good so far, but the D in front of him is giving up too many prime chances.... sounds familar right? Lol.

Also have Georgiev who is solid, and think they are going to split the games more. Like a 60/40 split. Goaltending is a question mark with really high potential but not sure when it will show that potential with guys like Georgiev and Igor Shestyorkin in the system.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not going to lie, I love Vegas more and more as time passes. They're such a fun team to follow and apart from Reaves they mostly seem like a bunch of standout dudes.

I love Mark Stone and always liked Karlsson. Their D is going to get exposed in the playoffs again though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I could easily see Calgary missing the playoffs this season. Lindholm massively overachiever last year, Giordano is a year older and they don’t have great forward depth.

Tkachuk is an absolute beast though. Think of all the RFAs that had a hard time coming to terms this offseason he will end up being the most complete player.

I highly doubt that the Flames miss the playoffs even if Rittich doesn't perform, they simply have too many weapons and a great defense group.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Watching the Boston game it's easy to see why they have the top line in the NHL and the Ducks look better than expected even though they are losing 3-1 so far, wow 4-1 and Pasta with 4 goals in the game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Reactions: Mr Rogers

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
NJ blew a 4-1 lead and lost to the Panthers 6-4...I see a lottery pick coming up for NJ.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hall is gonna want out of there.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
His resurgence makes you wonder if he makes the HHOF.

I think he would have been a lock had Vegas won the SC as he would have been the Conn Smythe winner.

If he doesn't make the HHOF he will have the most wins by a non HHOF goalie as Lundqvist is going in easily.

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Wins | Hockey-Reference.com
I feel like he’s been more like Chris Osgood, where the win totals have benefited from the team he’s been on vs Lundqvist being the only reason the team was relevant. I think the Penguins would have had multiple extra Cups if MAF hadn’t repeatedly been such a zero in the playoffs.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His resurgence makes you wonder if he makes the HHOF.

I think he would have been a lock had Vegas won the SC as he would have been the Conn Smythe winner.

If he doesn't make the HHOF he will have the most wins by a non HHOF goalie as Lundqvist is going in easily.

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Wins | Hockey-Reference.com

He shouldn’t, you can swap multiple goalies for him between 08 and 15 to start for the Pens and I guarantee they have more than one cup in that time frame.

Fleury is essentially Giguere with a bit more longevity, who is a bit worst at his best and who played for the most part behind much better teams. Giggy isn’t close to the HOF, outside of the media over inflating his tyres why should Fleury be?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He shouldn’t, you can swap multiple goalies for him between 08 and 15 to start for the Pens and I guarantee they have more than one cup in that time frame.

Perhaps but you could say this about most NHL SC goalies though right?

His play in Vegas is the key as I never had him on any HHOF career track but his time in Vegas is causing me to relook at it.

Fleury is essentially Giguere with a bit more longevity, who is a bit worst at his best and who played for the most part behind much better teams. Giggy isn’t close to the HOF, outside of the media over inflating his tyres why should Fleury be?

Interchangable with JS Giguere really?

MAF has almost double the years as a starter than JS does.

Losing his job to Murray did hurt him but then he came back with a strong SC winning playoffs when Murray was injured in the following season.

But once again he didn't finish the playoffs as the starting goalie for Pittsburgh and I think I have convinced myself that MAF is now a longshot and will have the most wins of any non HHOF goalie for a long time.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Perhaps but you could say this about most NHL SC goalies though right?

His play in Vegas is the key as I never had him on any HHOF career track but his time in Vegas is causing me to relook at it.

Interchangable with JS Giguere really?

MAF has almost double the years as a starter than JS does.

Losing his job to Murray did hurt him but then he came back with a strong SC winning playoffs when Murray was injured in the following season.

But once again he didn't finish the playoffs as the starting goalie for Pittsburgh and I think I have convinced myself that MAF is now a longshot and will have the most wins of any non HHOF goalie for a long time.

He took vegas to a cup final and had a great first year there but last year he wasn’t a top 5 goalie and I doubt he is this year either.

And yeah I compared him to Giguere (with a lesser peak) but admitted he had more longevity. The considerably lesser peak should offset the fact he’s been able to play at a higher level for longer. Neither should be HOFers but one will be because he was lucky enough to play for the Pens for most of his career.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Colorado just steamrolled the Capitals in DC. Watch the hell out for them this year
I watched the game, they didn't get steamrolled... Holtby shit the bed right away he let 3 goals in the first 3 shots... He literally didn't make a single save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad