Around the league 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I don't know what it is about Theodore's shot but it's so efficient. Every shot he takes seems like it has a good chance to go in.

I have this really specific memory of him taking an unscreened wrist shot from the point in the playoffs against Calgary and it going in completely cleanly. And I remember thinking that Cam could take that same shot 1000 times and it would never go in. Some guys (like Shea) just seem to have that quality where everything goes their way and some guys (Cam) seem like they're always snakebitten no matter what they do or how hard they play.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't know what it is about Theodore's shot but it's so efficient. Every shot he takes seems like it has a good chance to go in.

I have this really specific memory of him taking an unscreened wrist shot from the point in the playoffs against Calgary and it going in completely cleanly. And I remember thinking that Cam could take that same shot 1000 times and it would never go in. Some guys (like Shea) just seem to have that quality where everything goes their way and some guys (Cam) seem like they're always snakebitten no matter what they do or how hard they play.

it’s not luck, it’s a skill. Theodore is elite at getting shots through traffic. For all his flaws as a player, in the offensive zone there are few better than him at creating chances.

Niedermayer had the same ability. Despite having an absolute muffin he always seemed to get it on net. Cam just shoots and hopes it doesn’t hit anyones shin pads. Every now and then Cam will get one through and score a big goal (see the Oilers comeback game) but it’s rare as f***.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Fowler does seem to have a harder time getting shots thru taffic (his shooting pucks into shin pad meme) but when there is no traffic he seems to be quite accurate with his shots.
I think the most crazy thing about Theodore's 7 goals in the playoffs this year is thats as many goals as Erik Karlsson has in his last 61 playoff games.

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How about Theodore essentially playing wing on the first Stars goal, nowhere to be seen when Oleksiak gets his breakaway and then follows that up at the end of the game, trying to rush out and leave the zone ahead of the puck with 3 seconds left in the game which lead to the Stars almost scoring.

I guess you gotta take the bad with the good with Shea.

Reactions: Masch78

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jesus that backhander from Sergachev was filthy. Also Kucherov is so good. Tampa missing their 1 and 2 Cs and they’re still the best team in this series.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Jesus that backhander from Sergachev was filthy. Also Kucherov is so good. Tampa missing their 1 and 2 Cs and they’re still the best team in this series.
I think Isles looked like the better team for 59 minutes in Game 2. Just obviously lacking some skill as they did not convert on some crucial PP's but the chances were there

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s a 2-1 series that could easily be 2-1 the other way. It’s going 7 if NYI wins game 4

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What on Earth is Minnesota doing trading for Bjugstad with a draft pick ?
Minnesota needs to Rebuild/tank, not continue to being a mediocre team that has a chance at barely sneaking in and getting anniliated in the first round of the playoffs.
That team is doomed for mediocrity until they try to rebuild.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
so that Tuch hit on Perry is some completely predatory shit and it's insane there was no call on the play. Can't believe how hard I'm rooting for the Stars right now.

Reactions: Paul4587

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Ill completely concede that theo gets it done offensively and in transition but man does he show up in the other teams sizzle reels a lot. looked like he barely even tried on that heiskanen breakaway. Id take him back in a heartbeat though

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Breaking Down Shea Theodore's Offensive Impact

This was a really good read on Theo I saw today. Basically confirms everything I see with the eye test. He's elite offensively, but can't be counted on in the other end.
Most notable thing- "Based on the only publicly available competition model, PuckIQ’s Woodmoney, I’ve estimated Shea Theodore’s Quality of Competition to be in the 26th percentile based on the distribution of his ice time playing against top, middle, and bottom-level competition. That means almost 75% of the league’s defencemen faced harder competition than him. To put that in perspective, Theodore played the 46th-most minutes per night among defencemen this season. The next most-played blueliner with comparable sheltering is Keith Yandle, who ranks 104th.
To compensate for keeping a 22-minute-a-night defenceman away from top lines, Brayden McNabb and Nate Schmidt are given the 4th and 6th toughest deployment in the NHL respectively. It’s why Theodore’s most frequent forward opponents this season were Tyler Ennis and Brayden Schenn and Schmidt’s were Leon Draisaitl and Anze Kopitar."

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
wow how is dallas keeping vegas down offensively? and how is khudobin playing this well

It's really not anything Dallas is doing so much as it is all of Vegas' forwards have hit a mental block since G5 against Vancouver. They're shooting like 1% and have a combined 4 goals in 7 games. Khudobin isn't having to make a ton of tough saves. Vegas is getting no net traffic and all of their quality chances they are either shooting straight into Khudo or high and wide. Then the Knights get so flustered with their inability to score they get too aggressive offensively and have massive defensive breakdowns. Got to credit Dallas for being opportunistic though. They've made the most of their chances.

If Point is healthy I think Tampa will handle Dallas relatively easy.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Vegas is losing because they don't have a Franchise Defenseman who shoots pucks into shin pads. Shooting pucks into shin pads is good karma.

Sarcasm aside its nice to see Cogliano get a point.
I'd like for Dallas to beat Tampa if they make it to the finals but Tampa is gonna destroy Dallas, it'll be a David vs Goliath though if Dallas wins the stanley cup.

I bet Joe Thornton wishes he was traded to Dallas at the deadline.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Vegas is losing because they don't have a Franchise Defenseman who shoots pucks into shin pads. Shooting pucks into shin pads is good karma.

Sarcasm aside its nice to see Cogliano get a point.
I'd like for Dallas to beat Tampa if they make it to the finals but Tampa is gonna destroy Dallas, it'll be a David vs Goliath though if Dallas wins the stanley cup.

I bet Joe Thornton wishes he was traded to Dallas at the deadline.
I’ll bet he wishes the Sharks hadn’t wasted their money on Karlsson and kept Pavelski.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fill In the Blank:

If Dallas wins the cup, they are the weakest team to win it all since ______.

Either 2016/17 Pens (the team that had a bunch of second and third pairing guys filling out their blueline) or the 2005/06 Hurricanes.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’ll bet he wishes the Sharks hadn’t wasted their money on Karlsson and kept Pavelski.
Yeah, Pavelski is the one the Sharks drafted & developed unlike Thornton and they let him leave because of Karlsson.
and if Karlsson really is stuck on the Sharks for the rest of his career he will never win a cup.
Karlsson's agent should have advised him on the aging core of the sharks & the goalie situation, lot of us saw the writing on the wall that SJ was gonna trend downward just like the Ducks.
Still SJ should have had a better record than the Ducks.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What on Earth is Minnesota doing trading for Bjugstad with a draft pick ?
Minnesota needs to Rebuild/tank, not continue to being a mediocre team that has a chance at barely sneaking in and getting anniliated in the first round of the playoffs.
That team is doomed for mediocrity until they try to rebuild.

That draft pick was a conditional 7th rounder and those conditions are that Bjugstad plays 70 games or scores 35 points next season. Also, Pittsburgh kept half of Bjugstad's salary, so Minnesota acquired a fine center for next season likely for free.

I don't know if Minnesota should tank. They have great defence and Fiala looked very promising and they are getting Kaprizov next season. There is a good forward core, they just need a couple of players who can shine. Parise's contract is a problem though and he'll likely be bought out at some point. Zuccarello will be a problem as well and while Suter is still great, I doubt he can continue playing like this for the rest of his contract.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I wonder if Vegas went all in too soon. They went to the finals in their first season and had a ton of good prospects. They traded them to win now. Could the Vegas roster be even better with those prospects they traded away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad