Around the league 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
That story with Babcock and Marner is true? That's next level bad.
Somebody could conceivably convince me that having a rookie make that list is an understandable move. But to expose that list to some of the veteran players that were called out on it? That would traumatize me if I were Marner. I wouldn't be able to trust anyone after that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If the Peters stuff is true (initially I was very skeptical but the more I read the more I believe it) then he is a terrible human that should never be allowed to work in hockey again.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think the shit is hitting the fan big time on these old school coaching styles.

This link may be geo restricted if you're not in Canada or on a VPN. In it (appx 8:15) Dreger comments about a conversation he had with RC after he was fired in TOR and asks RC if he's done enough to adapt to dealing with the younger players. RC admitted the answer was no. Makes you wonder if he felt comfortable getting a chance to continue being the same jack ass when Bob offered him a job again. Especially when stories like Luke Schenn get out.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/dreger-thi...hift-in-what-s-acceptable-nhl-conduct~1839779

Reactions: Exit Dose

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I for one, am thoroughly enjoying Commadore's tweets on Babcock.
Commadore has always been his own worst enemy with his over the top, never give it a rest, approach. But nobody has ever shown he was lying about anything and now, more players are speaking out and without relaying specific stories are all agreeing that Babcock is an absolute POS as a person. And it goes back to at least Detroit.

Carlo Colaiacovo (who played for a half season in Detroit under Babs) just said today on TSN that he knew team leaders on the Wings went to Ken Holland and tried to get Babcock fired but had no success.

Commadore is no longer a one man show.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
So Peters kicked one player and punched another in the head while coach of the Hurricanes as well? Sounds like a real great guy. Have to laugh at Brind'Amour talking about how well the organisation handled those incidents too. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure a head coach who assaults two seperate players should have been allowed to continue his job.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To absolutely nobody’s surprise Dan Carcillo has jumped in with his stories.
Yeah, I saw that. I think it's just a matter of time before more stuff comes out. Can anybody think the stories that have so far been exposed are just one offs in the world of hockey? Wouldn't surprise me if RC is sleeping uneasy these days.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Life's been too busy to really follow up on this so could someone offer a very short recap of the situation? Just some keywords to look for is enough. I'm aware of the Cherry, Babcock, Aliu/Peters and Carcillo situations, at least somewhat. Has there been more?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, I saw that. I think it's just a matter of time before more stuff comes out. Can anybody think the stories that have so far been exposed are just one offs in the world of hockey? Wouldn't surprise me if RC is sleeping uneasy these days.

I could be completely wrong but as much as a dick of a coach Randy is I haven’t heard too much bad about him off the ice and have actually heard a few good stories although not from anyone he’s coached. I’m hoping he hasn’t done anything like what Peters has done.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I could be completely wrong but as much as a dick of a coach Randy is I haven’t heard too much bad about him off the ice and have actually heard a few good stories although not from anyone he’s coached. I’m hoping he hasn’t done anything like what Peters has done.
Maybe he hasn't. But given the cultural history of hockey, going by his history of not knowing how to deal well with players and given the Schenn story (which I 100% agree does not rise to the level of what has recently come out) it wouldn't be surprising what else he may have done or said that we will never know. His treatment of Schenn was absolute horseshit. That speaks volumes about the kind of person he is. Was that a one off? People can decide for themselves. Babcock had a good off ice reputation too.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Maybe he hasn't. But given the cultural history of hockey, going by his history of not knowing how to deal well with players and given the Schenn story (which I 100% agree does not rise to the level of what has recently come out) it wouldn't be surprising what else he may have done or said that we will never know. His treatment of Schenn was absolute horse****. That speaks volumes about the kind of person he is. Was that a one off? People can decide for themselves. Babcock had a good off ice reputation too.
what did schenn say?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

That’s obvious. Everyone knows he was a dick as a coach (and a poor coach in his last decade in the league) but I highly doubt he’s done anything on a similar level to what Peters has done.

Assault and racism are far different to a coach being disliked. Scotty Bowman was hated by his players.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That open apology letter Peters wrote to Treliving is an embarrassment. He takes ownership for virtually nothing, he doesn’t seem the least bit remorseful and he writes about as well as a 10 year old.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Peters isn't long for this league, and hopefully for the continent either. If he wants to be a physical hardass, Russia is over that way.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Yeah. I posted a current radio interview with Dreger (somewhere on Ducks HF) where he mentions asking RC (after RC was fired in TOR) if he did enough to get along with the young players. RC says no. Dreger then goes on and questions whether RC didn't take his own advice seeing as how he's currently out of coaching. The RC part was barely a minute and a half of the 10 minute radio clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad