Around The League 2019-20 VI (Mod note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The idea that repeated blows to the head might make you 'dumber' is something a child knows, I think. The idea that repeated blows to the head might cause constant headaches, depression, impulsive behavior, changes in personality, early dementia - I think this was much less well-known and well-studied when Carcillo was beginning his hockey career.

My issue with Carcillo is if he still was employable I have no doubt in my mind he'd still be collecting checks. Plus the suggestions and insinuations he makes are wreckless.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
While I agree with you, I can't imagine that any sport runs more of a risk of this than NFL football and despite reports that kids aren't playing tackle football in the numbers they used to, I can still only think of one player who has ever walked away willingly from playing professionally because of head trauma. I'm skeptical Carcillo would have walked away from the NHL had he known then what he knows now. You can chalk it up to those decisions being made by 20-23 year old kids but I don't see the thirty year old players walking away voluntarily either.

I'm sure that the prevailing thinking on CTE and the like in these sports is 'it's not going to happen to me' or 'I've been playing football/hockey my whole life, so I'm already screwed - I'll need this money for my retirement' or 'What harm could one more year do?' - or some mixture of the three. So sure, walking away from all the money along with all of the other perks of being a professional athlete is monumentally difficult, and it wouldn't be a choice I would expect many people to make. What I expect is, like you said, fewer and fewer athletes getting involved in these sports.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Can’t stand carcillo and his whole “Wah wah my brain is mush movement” but this one might have some merit to it

my same feelings on carcillo and my problem with this is WHY WAIT TIL NOW if you knew this happened why not report it at the time. don't give me it was reported to x y z. once something was reported and nothing was done about it don't just stop go further and report it again and again and again.

Reactions: mdj12784

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yes, absolutely. I knew and played with guys who played in Junior A, OHL, NCAA, etc. and they had all sorts of insane stories like thus about the things that were "normal" at those levels. I'm sure it's not the case for all organizations as some are going to be better than others, but this toxic **** definitely happens.

Some of things I saw and was a part of just playing competitive hockey at a level no one goes pro from was bad enough.

this is the type of stuff that happens all over the place though not just hockey not just sports. i'm not saying its right or wrong or defending anyone but your kidding yourself if you don't think hazing/taunting/abuse/drinking/drugs don't happen.

carcillo is just trying to stay relevant since his story/book or whatever he was peddling last year quieted down. if he knew about this stuff and didn't say anything? that doesn't exactly make him look good either the fact too that he is willing to have people dm him (reporters my guess) is proof otherwise just name names

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My issue with Carcillo is if he still was employable I have no doubt in my mind he'd still be collecting checks. Plus the suggestions and insinuations he makes are wreckless.

I don't think Carcillo is a great advocate - he doesn't have the best handle on all the issues, certainly - but he's at least stirring stuff up. I think Carcillo's message, even if he doesn't mean it to be, is something like 'You fight through all this bullshit to make it in this league and what happens when that's over?' Some people will say be grateful you made it and shut your mouth. Some will say that he caused plenty of injuries and there's not a ton of remorse about that. I get both of those arguments, and he's certainly no angel, but he's at least theoretically fighting on the players' behalf.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The idea that repeated blows to the head might make you 'dumber' is something a child knows, I think. The idea that repeated blows to the head might cause constant headaches, depression, impulsive behavior, changes in personality, early dementia - I think this was much less well-known and well-studied when Carcillo was beginning his hockey career.
you only have 1 head and 1 brain and its the most important part on your body. so if a child knows hitting your head makes you "dumber" then an adult should know that it makes you "dumber" meaning brain damage. the problem is that he would've done anything to get out onto the ice and have the money/fame/girls/glory but now that the check is due and hes suffering because of it? he wants to cry about it? no sorry i'm not buying it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
my same feelings on carcillo and my problem with this is WHY WAIT TIL NOW if you knew this happened why not report it at the time. don't give me it was reported to x y z. once something was reported and nothing was done about it don't just stop go further and report it again and again and again.

Except you could end your career that way. Unless you're a Auston Mathews-type prospect, there's a very real chance those kind of complaints get swept under the rug and you're the one to suffer the backlash. This same type of thing - worse really - happened with Graham James way back when. It's a similar dynamic to why assault victims outside hockey are afraid to come forward, because a lot of people don't believe them and they're coming out against powerful figures. Plus sometimes it's a very gray line as to where hazing ends and abuse begins.

Reactions: Blender

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don't think Carcillo is a great advocate - he doesn't have the best handle on all the issues, certainly - but he's at least stirring stuff up. I think Carcillo's message, even if he doesn't mean it to be, is something like 'You fight through all this bull**** to make it in this league and what happens when that's over?' Some people will say be grateful you made it and shut your mouth. Some will say that he caused plenty of injuries and there's not a ton of remorse about that. I get both of those arguments, and he's certainly no angel, but he's at least theoretically fighting on the players' behalf.

whats after it? retirement? i dunno hopefully you were smart enough to plan ahead and save money? you do have union benefits that most of us won't ever see. maybe during your playing years go back to school during the off season and get a degree so you would have a job now?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Except you could end your career that way. Unless you're a Auston Mathews-type prospect, there's a very real chance those kind of complaints get swept under the rug and you're the one to suffer the backlash. This same type of thing happened with Graham James way back when. It's a similar dynamic to why assault victims outside hockey are afraid to come forward, because a lot of people don't believe them and they're coming out against powerful figures. Plus sometimes it's a very gray line as to where hazing ends and abuse begins.

i get not saying anything while your playing again that isn't right but thats a real fear repercussions. there are ways though around that "leak" a story? be anonymous or heck even why not say something x amount of years ago when daniel retired? but hes waiting til now when everyone is talking about something and trying to inject himself into it? don't by it even if he has useful information there was nothing stopping him day 1 after retirement to bring this up

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

same thing im dealing with this company that installed a UV light to rid water of e coli and whatnot……they put it in, i retested the water and the system didnt work…..both the health dept. and manufacturer say if installed correct it will work...

ive been hounding them for over 2 months and they keep brushing me off….even sent someone to check the install……a guy that barely spoke english and wouldnt/couldnt answer my questions and basically said….."all ok" and left.

literally the biggest POSs ive dealt with im my life.

….maybe i should just go to their office and show them what a 6'0 220 lbs pissed off man looks like…..its f***ing exasperating at this point

(sorry for off topic rant that more suited for the TAN)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think Carcillo is a great advocate - he doesn't have the best handle on all the issues, certainly - but he's at least stirring stuff up. I think Carcillo's message, even if he doesn't mean it to be, is something like 'You fight through all this bull**** to make it in this league and what happens when that's over?' Some people will say be grateful you made it and shut your mouth. Some will say that he caused plenty of injuries and there's not a ton of remorse about that. I get both of those arguments, and he's certainly no angel, but he's at least theoretically fighting on the players' behalf.
I'd agree with that. He just comes off too lopsided for me. He's attacking the very thing that allowed him to have a voice. I guess that's part of it, but his message is still a very valid one.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Some team that was struggling so they fired their coach is absolutely smashing Detroit tonight. Not just beating them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some team that was struggling so they fired their coach is absolutely smashing Detroit tonight. Not just beating them.

1: we have an out of town score thread. This isn’t it.

2: WE put five up on Detroit. It’s no great accomplishment. They also had to trot a really sick Bernier out there because Howard got hurt and they have no one else’s. Dude is getting IVs between periods.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

to be fair we did smash Detroit too

I don’t get how they didn’t call someone up instead of dressing bernier

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
1: we have an out of town score thread. This isn’t it.

2: WE put five up on Detroit. It’s no great accomplishment. They also had to trot a really sick Bernier out there because Howard got hurt and they have no one else’s. Dude is getting IVs between periods.

Talking about other teams coaching changes to discuss coaching isn’t a game thread item.

Devils put up 5 with an empty netter and a goal after the empty netter. They really put up 3 and Detroit was missing their best goal scorer all game. Toronto had more shots through 2 than the Devils had all game, which has nothing to do with the goalie.

Toronto has obviously been energized by their new coach. An observation about their team and a comparison to the Devils continued lethargy.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Lol. They smashed Detroit?

They got dominated in the 2nd period. Out played Detroit in the 3rd. Scored 2 empties. That's dominating? Haha oook.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
his entire Twitter platform is just propaganda though. I'll never understand the logic behind they didn't tell us repeated blows to the head are a problem. Really? You needed someone to tell you that? Or is it that your role is no longer needed so you're unemployed? Plus he's just pushing this stuff online making the very foundation that has his name as a relative known person as some sort of horrible entity.
Hard to feel sorry for a guy who could care less about the safety of other players, let alone the safety of himself. He just magically going to blame the nhl for his reckless conduct when he was skating around like a prick for years

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hard to feel sorry for a guy who could care less about the safety of other players, let alone the safety of himself. He just magically going to blame the nhl for his reckless conduct when he was skating around like a prick for years
That's what my main gripe is and I'm sure it's something that's viewed from a lot of others as misguided (my view of it). I think if his role was still employable he wouldn't have the same things to say but since he's not anymore this is the path he's taken.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Peters resigns and our buddy Geoff Ward will take over. I think Ward will do quite well with that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad