1st - Perlini (half of Schmaltz)

1st - Strome (other half of Schmaltz)
1st - Merkley (UFA Hall)

1st - POJ (other half of Kessel)

2nd - Bahl (UFA Hall)

1st - 18th overall (UFA Hall)
2nd - 49th overall (Forfeited)

1st - Lottery pick (Forfeited)

This means for their 2012 2nd, 2013 1st, 2014 1st, 2015 1st, their other 2015 1st, their 2017 1st, their 2018 2nd, their 2020 1st and 2020 2nd, and their 2021 1st the Coyotes have Phil Kessel and Nick Schmaltz to show for it.

Combine all this and then read the glowing review by his potential new Owner it's disgusting.

I really hope Bettman ruins his leverage to get that new job by saying he has to wait at least until after the draft. Preferably a full year.

Can't believe this situation is real and Chayka could end up even higher paid and in a better job.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Remember on the main boards and occasionally on here that some people actually thought Chayka was a really good GM building a really good team?

Oh memories.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just spitballing, but as an idea

Neal
Russell

for

Kessel @500k retained
Raanta

This move saves Arizona's ownership a boatload of money for next year, because the kicker is Russell is only 1.5 million in actual salary with a 4 mill cap hit.

So for Arizona it's 7.25 mill in actual salary in, but 10.3 million in actual salary out.

There's going to be lots of teams hurting next year with no gate revenue and this is one way they can cut costs for next season.

For us it gives us a different look for a McDavid winger, I don't know how much Kessel has in the tank but I think at 5 on 5 it may be more than Neal. And his contract is a year shorter than Neal's so down the line we benefit.

Raanta is an upgrade over Mike Smith at this point I think.

Reactions: Beerfish

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Had to borrow this from the coyotes board

John Chayka lost the following picks:

2nd - Martinook (nothing to show)

1st - Domi (half of Kessel)

1st - Perlini (half of Schmaltz)

1st - Strome (other half of Schmaltz)
1st - Merkley (UFA Hall)

1st - POJ (other half of Kessel)

2nd - Bahl (UFA Hall)

1st - 18th overall (UFA Hall)
2nd - 49th overall (Forfeited)

1st - Lottery pick (Forfeited)

This means for their 2012 2nd, 2013 1st, 2014 1st, 2015 1st, their other 2015 1st, their 2017 1st, their 2018 2nd, their 2020 1st and 2020 2nd, and their 2021 1st the Coyotes have Phil Kessel and Nick Schmaltz to show for it.

All that for a cap team that can only win when their goalie is going prime Hasek in net.

Pretty sad. Funny too of course.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes. Analytics community loved him. I think he was voted a top 5 GM in a poll.

I was entertained by how quickly analytics people disowned Chayka this summer. Like he was not one of them, and they are 100% certain he never used analytics. Even though he definitely did use analytics and the job he was so enamored by with NJ was specifically attractive to him because he would be able to apply analytics to a larger number of sports.

But, yeah, since he failed, definitely can't be one of the true analytics guys. Can't have the long history of success that analytics people have had in the NHL (champs like Dellow, Dubas, etc...) smeared by Chayka.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was entertained by how quickly analytics people disowned Chayka this summer. Like he was not one of them, and they are 100% certain he never used analytics. Even though he definitely did use analytics and the job he was so enamored by with NJ was specifically attractive to him because he would be able to apply analytics to a larger number of sports.

But, yeah, since he failed, definitely can't be one of the true analytics guys. Can't have the long history of success that analytics people have had in the NHL (champs like Dellow, Dubas, etc...) smeared by Chayka.
It’s like watching trump, prince Andrew and all these celebrities who hung out with Epstein pretend that they weren’t really friends after his arrest.

Reactions: oobga

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Holy moly. I'm looking into the carnage left behind by Chayka and it makes Chiarelli look brilliant by comparison.

The team is 6 players short of a roster for next year with $1.5M cap space. They also have bonus overages of about $400, so really $1.1M cap space with another $1.75 in potential bonuses for next year, so in some way, negative cap space.

Granted they have Hossa's salary to LTIR so that bumps them back up to about $6.3M in cap space for 6 roster spots.

Then they only have 1 pick in the first 93 picks over the next two years.

All of this and the current team couldn't muster more than 20 shots on average in the playoffs.

What GM in his right mind would go into this situation? They may have no choice but to hire Chiarelli.

There's definitely going to be a fire sale in the desert to clean this all up, and Hall would be a complete idiot to stick around, the only way they can afford him is to dump two of their already better players.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just spitballing, but as an idea

Neal
Russell

for

Kessel @500k retained
Raanta

This move saves Arizona's ownership a boatload of money for next year, because the kicker is Russell is only 1.5 million in actual salary with a 4 mill cap hit.

So for Arizona it's 7.25 mill in actual salary in, but 10.3 million in actual salary out.

There's going to be lots of teams hurting next year with no gate revenue and this is one way they can cut costs for next season.

For us it gives us a different look for a McDavid winger, I don't know how much Kessel has in the tank but I think at 5 on 5 it may be more than Neal. And his contract is a year shorter than Neal's so down the line we benefit.

Raanta is an upgrade over Mike Smith at this point I think.

I'd do that. Going against popular tide I've always liked kessel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holy moly. I'm looking into the carnage left behind by Chayka and it makes Chiarelli look brilliant by comparison.

The team is 6 players short of a roster for next year with $1.5M cap space. They also have bonus overages of about $400, so really $1.1M cap space with another $1.75 in potential bonuses for next year, so in some way, negative cap space.

Granted they have Hossa's salary to LTIR so that bumps them back up to about $6.3M in cap space for 6 roster spots.

Then they only have 1 pick in the first 93 picks over the next two years.

All of this and the current team couldn't muster more than 20 shots on average in the playoffs.

What GM in his right mind would go into this situation? They may have no choice but to hire Chiarelli.

There's definitely going to be a fire sale in the desert to clean this all up.
They won't have an issue finding someone. Lots of guys would love to be a GM. They just aren't getting anyone great unless they drastically overpay.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They won't have an issue finding someone. Lots of guys would love to be a GM. They just aren't getting anyone great unless they drastically overpay.

True. Maybe I should say they might not have any choice but to hire Chiarelli if they want someone who has had experience.

They may even have to consider buying out Keller at his salary because they can do so at only 1/3 the contract value. But that's only if they go scorched earth.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True. Maybe I should say they might not have any choice but to hire Chiarelli if they want someone who has had experience.

They may even have to consider buying out Keller at his salary because they can do so at only 1/3 the contract value. But that's only if they go scorched earth.
They need to figure out is Sullivan and Tocchet are their guys going forward. More than ever before that club needs a GM and coach that are thinking the same. It's been done before in this league where a team overachieves because the GM is giving his coach players that can work well together.

Before they start doing any scorched earth that is going to be the first hurdle.

Patience is going to be the other key. They have 7 UFA's for the 21-22 season. If a few of those can half ass have good years they could be very good deadline acquisitions for some clubs. Maybe you don't get the first round picks, but maybe you get 2nd's or some prospects with development under their belt already.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
These offside challenges suck.

They’ve turned the Duchene 20 ft offside play into the dumbest rule in hockey. So many ways they could have gone about this that would have ensured that would never happen again , but instead they went with the worst solution possible, and then doubled down on it. League appears to be oblivious to what a turnoff this is to fans, and likely players as well.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They’ve turned the Duchene 20 ft offside play into the dumbest rule in hockey. So many ways they could have gone about this that would have ensured that would never happen again , but instead they went with the worst solution possible, and then doubled down on it. League appears to be oblivious to what a turnoff this is to fans, and likely players as well.
No doubt, if they want to be that exact, it should just be fully electronic and automated. Dumb

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They need to figure out is Sullivan and Tocchet are their guys going forward. More than ever before that club needs a GM and coach that are thinking the same. It's been done before in this league where a team overachieves because the GM is giving his coach players that can work well together.

Before they start doing any scorched earth that is going to be the first hurdle.

Patience is going to be the other key. They have 7 UFA's for the 21-22 season. If a few of those can half ass have good years they could be very good deadline acquisitions for some clubs. Maybe you don't get the first round picks, but maybe you get 2nd's or some prospects with development under their belt already.

Good points. If they can find a way to survive the year and firesale the UFAs at the deadline, then they could be well positioned to accelerate a rebuild and have some cap space to work with as well.

That or look at dumping as many of next years UFAs now and seeing if they can reacquire some picks and sign scraps when players inevitably can't find a team to sign with.

I'm sure moving a few guys like Stepan, Grabner, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson and Raanta can restock their picks. They probably need to keep Demers until at least the deadline though as all their defense are lefties except him.

Moving OEL though would seem a panic move at this point. Moving him makes them start the search for someone like him all over again unless they think Chychrun is ready to be a number 1.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Way to go Barzal. Even though he was never an Oiler, he had a case of Oileritis on that tip in on his own goalie.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
According to Friedman last Saturday OEL may be on the block.

This is being discussed in the rumors page. My thoughts are there, but in short:
- would be a really risky move
- his underlying numbers are not very good the past few years
- he plays the wrong side as we are deep on the left side
- big ticket for a long time at $8.25 until he is 35
- would likely force us to move Nurse do to salary concerns, which leaves us with almost nobody who can break up the cycle (especially after Larsson leaves next off-season, which is very likely)

Hard pass for me.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It was Montreal complaining about losing to Tampa, not the Duchene goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad