GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
The Flames are just mad that Edmonton knows how to use The Real Steal James Neal. 8 goals and 9 points already lol.

Ladies and gentlemen, JAMES NEAL WOULD BE LEADING THE FLAMES IN SCORING RIGHT NOW..lol

Flames also have no players in McDavid or Leon's stratosphere. Their 2 best players are one level under these guys.

Gio is older and doesn't look great. Flames had a cinderella season last year. Don't see it this year.

BRANDON MANNING HAS MORE GOALS THAN MILAN LUCIC.....

So much fun.... James Neal as of today has twice as many power play goals as the entire Calgary Flames roster combined.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Doesn't really sound like Matthews is the only one that has/had issues with Babcock.

If the team is winning then people can make do and deal with it, but if the team is losing that relationship is only going to get worse.

The other issue is players aren't what they once were. Coaches need to adapt to the changing personalities, if they don't they won't have a job for very long. Granted Babcock probably doesn't care as he is making a **** ton of money, but if he wants to continue to coach he needs to take a page out of Torts book.

I believe his contract was front loaded as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So much fun.... James Neal as of today has twice as many power play goals as the entire Calgary Flames roster combined.
Neal himself is doing better on the PP than he has since 11-12 - 13-14. He's kind of been a 5 goal on PP guy most his career.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Flames are just mad that Edmonton knows how to use The Real Steal James Neal. 8 goals and 9 points already lol.

Ladies and gentlemen, JAMES NEAL WOULD BE LEADING THE FLAMES IN SCORING RIGHT NOW..lol

Flames also have no players in McDavid or Leon's stratosphere. Their 2 best players are one level under these guys.

Gio is older and doesn't look great. Flames had a cinderella season last year. Don't see it this year.

BRANDON MANNING HAS MORE GOALS THAN MILAN LUCIC.....

Spec was saying that Bill Peters, after Treliving grabbed the Canes players in the Hamilton swap, was likely never going to give Neal a long leash regardless.

Well, jokes on them

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From Dom L of the Athletic on The Real Steal’s updated goal and point projections;

My model’s best guess for him is now is a 26-goal, 50-point player from here on out. Add that pace to his current standing and you get a stat line of 32 goals and 55 points. Not bad at all, but hey, at least Milan Lucic is getting … a lot of penalty minutes, or whatever.

:laugh:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The Real Deal could retire today and We won this trade by a landslide. I love reading their daily posts over there trying to justify it. The trade, for Calgary, just gets more hideous every day.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TRE.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
https://www.tsn.ca/is-the-edmonton-oilers-buzzworthy-start-for-real-1.1382683

Seravelli gives his takes on five teams with really good or bad starts and whether to expect them to continue on their current pace. Spoiler alert: The Oilers are the only team that are a pretender. Now that's the Frank Seravelli I'm used to, not the imposter who was writing positive stories about the Oilers for a stretch there.

Last edited:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Frank does have a point. Yes, we should be winning our games if we are a "good team", but we are getting outplayed in a lot of them for stretches and are bottom 6 needs to improve when the "big" teams start coming.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Frank does have a point. Yes, we should be winning our games if we are a "good team", but we are getting outplayed in a lot of them for stretches and are bottom 6 needs to improve when the "big" teams start coming.

A point but one that gets completely negated by giving every other team a pass with flimsy logic.

I agree the Oilers are "unsustainable" however, with the schedule as it is, could continue as they are and get enough of a cushion that it doesn't matter.

A strong October and November is possible with the schedule. Clawing and biting the rest of the way at 500 would do the trick. Not exactly planning a parade but actually having a bit of hope is nice.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
A point but one that gets completely negated by giving every other team a pass with flimsy logic.

I agree the Oilers are "unsustainable" however, with the schedule as it is, could continue as they are and get enough of a cushion that it doesn't matter.

A strong October and November is possible with the schedule. Clawing and biting the rest of the way at 500 would do the trick. Not exactly planning a parade but actually having a bit of hope is nice.

Getting 7 games over .500 at any point in any season means .500 hockey the rest of the season gets you 92 points. In the West, that's almost definitely playoffs.

The Oilers are a pretender at 6-1. No team wins 65 games, so yeah, that pace is unsustainable. What they maybe are in spite of that is also a playoff calibre team. That's what happens when you have a dominant top end and solve for the league worst PK and get passable goaltending when you didn't before.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm not sure if the problem lies with Matthews or with Babcock, but it's a relationship that cannot last.

And it won't be the player that has to be the fall guy. Never is.

I think this is a by-product of Shit rolling downhill.

Ever since his promotion, Dumbass and Babcock have been obviously clashing on everything from Strategies and philosophy to player personnel preferences. It might get to the point that the lockerroom is going to get effected. Whether it's between the players themselves or between them and their head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->