Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Mr. Playoff Hockey Phil Kessel with 2 points in this one. There are a tonne of things you can say about the guy, but he shows up come playoff time. 8th most points in the last 5 years, and 6th highest PPG amongst the top 10 after Crosby, Couture, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Backstrom.

I did not watch much of the game, but Nashville struggled to score. Arizona played a strong defensive game, but even when there were chances for Nashville, they failed to convert too many times.

Seems to be a common factor... Winnipeg was 0/7 on the PP. Pittsburgh was 1/7 and missed a bunch of scoring opportunities that would have buried Montreal. New York and the Panthers were both not that great IMO. Strong defensively, but neither looked good enough offensively to put up much of a fight, so they are going to need to be opportunistic and hope that the other team struggles offensively if either hope to get out of the first round this year. The Rangers and Canes were a little bit better, but not significantly better. They too will struggle to get out of the first round if the top 4 team is on their game. Edmonton was good on the PP, but was super sloppy otherwise... Which seems to be the book on them. Looks like Chicago may be able to take advantage of them if they don't tighten up, but I am not sure how well Chicago will do against the better teams.

Leafs need to be sharp offensively. They were okay against Montreal, but the sooner they can ramp up, the sooner they can take advantage on most of these other teams. We have not seen Tampa and Washington yet, and Philly has been impressive, but we have a team that can win against any of teams that have played thus far as long as we play our game well.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Flyers don't give a rats a#8 about Pasta. They are hitting him every chance they are getting

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Flyers are sneaky good, not getting the hype they deserve. They were rolling this year.

Boston just looks like they do not even give a crap either. Both games have been terrible efforts. They may think these games are not worth anything, but flipping a mental switch is not easy, especailly in the playoffs. If this is what they are going to bring, then just like Edmonton, they are not going to last long... And it is not even like the other teams look all that great.

Reactions: Kurtz

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That Scheif injury looks accidental. Not that Tkachuk deserves the benefit of the doubt, watching the play in real time from the one angle is pretty clear to me.

Tkachuk was going to pursue a hit but as Scheif turns he backs off), but he was going fast and as he was deciding to avoid the hit and stop, his right skate wobbled and skid off the ice. And unfortunately caught Sheif in the wrong spot.

It was definitely accidental, assuming it was even a sliced achilles. There's no way Tkachuk was trying slice upward at Scheifele's ankle while trying to stop himself. It doesn't make sense mechanically.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boston just looks like they do not even give a crap either. Both games have been terrible efforts. They may think these games are not worth anything, but flipping a mental switch is not easy, especailly in the playoffs. If this is what they are going to bring, then just like Edmonton, they are not going to last long... And it is not even like the other teams look all that great.

Boston was sliding since Christmas. More bad than good. They aren’t the dominant team they were in October-November.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mr. Playoff Hockey Phil Kessel with 2 points in this one. There are a tonne of things you can say about the guy, but he shows up come playoff time. 8th most points in the last 5 years, and 6th highest PPG amongst the top 10 after Crosby, Couture, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Backstrom.

Kessel was just a quite guy, who loves hockey and brought his A game everytime in the postseason. I always found it puzzling how some folks could seemingly hate the guy.

Imo the fact that he spent some of his best years playing for some garbage Leaf teams really distorted his scoring legacy. If 24-26 year old Kesssel had been on a good team like the Pens in that time he probably would have flirted with some 100 point seasons.

Reactions: The Cobra and Kurtz

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kessel was just a quite guy, who loves hockey and brought his A game everytime in the postseason. I always found it puzzling how some folks could seemingly hate the guy.

Imo the fact that he spent some of his best years playing for some garbage Leaf teams really distorted his scoring legacy. If 24-26 year old Kesssel had been on a good team like the Pens in that time he probably would have flirted with some 100 point seasons.

The biggest crime Kessel was guilty of was being the best player on those teams.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Rangers down 2-0 in their series and could find themselves out by tomorrow. Hurricanes are no joke.

Remember that they did sell off guys... Include Skjei to the team that they are playing against. There was some hope for the Rangers since they did perform quite well at the end of the year and had some success against the Hurricanes, but it should not come as a major surprise that Carolina is doing well. This is a 6 vs. 11 series and the #6 team is winning.

I hope Carolina wins. Maybe not a sweep, but I don't want them in the lottery.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why are they starting Lundqvist? He's done and they have other options, no?

He appeared to fare well enough in Game 1. NYR only scoring one goal today seems like a tough ask for many goalies, even if Lundqvist wasn't as sharp.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Jets Flames series is really fun. Let’s hope they hate each other more and more each game and it goes 5.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
So they were calling crosschecks and interference in this Calgary Winnipeg game. You wouldn't think they existed in the rulebook watching the Leafs game yesterday.

6 powerplays a piece

Reactions: Menzinger

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
That call on Bennett was trash. I thought it was playoffs. That happens all the time. I'd give an unsportsmanlike to the jets player instead for not pushing back

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
NHL do whatever it takes to give us a 7 game series between Wash and TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad