Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you can bank enough points early sometimes you can back into the playoffs, I could see the Sabres or Oilers doing something like that if thing's go well for a couple of months

Its happen ended in the past- Leafs did it in 2013. Though i wouldn't feel comfortable betting it will happen.

Their fans should enjoy the ride regardless. What a pair of miserable franchises

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You have company I've seen Leafs this year and it ain't impressive.

Way to early, with about 20 games to go we should have a better idea.
When someone criticizes the Oilers, you as usual come back to criticize the Leafs.
The Oilers are not impressive.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Watched some of Buffalo and Florida on Friday night and was surprised by how many empty seats there were.
I thought there would be more excitement in Buffalo this year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oilers underlying numbers are either middle of the pack or bottom 10 in the league. Their record will not last.
Yeah we've seen in the past how the unsustainable numbers lead to falling off a cliff rather abruptly.
It's a good warning for sure. And always beware of being indestructible in October. It only means so much.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Its happen ended in the past- Leafs did it in 2013. Though i wouldn't feel comfortable betting it will happen.

Their fans should enjoy the ride regardless. What a pair of miserable franchises

Things haven't been great for them, I don't mind seeing them suffer a little longer though

I wouldn't bet on anything but the Oilers division sucks so there's a lane for them there and the Sabres have put together some nice young talent

Having a genuine franchise level 1C and 1D like the Sabres do is a great place to build from

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Through 5 games JVR has o points.

Oilers winning 6-2 but getting outshot 42-22 ... Certainly making the most of their opportunities tonight.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No idea if the Oilers and Sabres early season success will sustain itself, or amount to much by the end of the season, but I can see a melt down coming for some if it does. We need our whipping posts in here & it helps us feel better about ourselves LOL.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I laugh at anyone who thinks the Lightning are soft or are built the Leafs way.

They're filled with players who are gritty/physical.... but mainly their main/young players all have a nasty side to them which the Leads dont have

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I laugh at anyone who thinks the Lightning are soft or are built the Leafs way.

They're filled with players who are gritty/physical.... but mainly their main/young players all have a nasty side to them which the Leads dont have
So explain their 4 game sweep at the hands of Columbus?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So explain their 4 game sweep at the hands of Columbus?

Not sure what me pointing out their physicality and aggression has anything to do with what happened against the Columbus last year lmao. They choked. Plain and simple.

Maybe if they showed this aggression they're showing so far this seaosn, they could've put up a fight.

Are you saying that St. Louis or Boston are soft? Or Washington or Vegas are soft? Thats the last 2 stanley cup finalists in case you're wondering why I chose those 4 teams

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not sure what me pointing out their physicality and aggression has anything to do with what happened against the Columbus last year lmao. They choked. Plain and simple.

Maybe if they showed this aggression they're showing so far this seaosn, they could've put up a fight.

Are you saying that St. Louis or Boston are soft? Or Washington or Vegas are soft? Thats the last 2 stanley cup finalists in case you're wondering why I chose those 4 teams
So Tampa lost to the Sens, who the Leafs beat handily. Was grit the determining factor?

I have no idea what point you are trying to prove at this point. It's not BS stuff like grit. It's the team who scores the most goals that wins. Grit doesn't win games,, goals do. Been like this since scores were kept.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So Tampa lost to the Sens, who the Leafs beat handily.

I have no idea what point you are trying to prove at this point. It's not BS stuff like grit. It's the team who scores the most goals that wins. Grit doesn't win games,, goals do. Been like this since scores were kept.

This is the exact type of loser mentality that's never gonna win us playoff series

If you really think that a team with all skill and no grit can win you important games...I have nothing to do argue with you about.

Any Stanley Cup-winning team will tell you you need the right balance. We clearly have the skill. Not we need the right type of toughness to combine it with.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is the exact type of loser mentality that's never gonna win us playoff series

If you really think that a team with all skill and no grit can win you important games...I have nothing to do argue with you about.

Any Stanley Cup-winning team will tell you you need the right balance. We clearly have the skill. Not we need the right type of toughness to combine it with.
No, this is exactly the loser mentality.

You need skill with tenacity. Grit and toughness are what simple minds channeling the lowest common denominator cry for, because they aren't bright enough to see what is obvious.

Tenacity is the inner drive to never quit. Will with skill beats all. It has zero to do with on ice toughness.

No matter how much toughness and grit the other team has.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Yeah you need the players on your team to not be little babies. We don't need to go out and add "grit" our players just need to nut up and play like they give a damn at some point. I am tired of people acting like it's just okay that a large group of our players aren't to blame for whatever issues we have. It has nothing to do with how big or small we are. We have lost 3 playoff series in the last 3 years and not a single one was lost because "we were to small". Until our best players let their nuts drop and play with a bit of grease to their game it really doesn't matter. Getting a grunt that can hit people isn't gonna fix us having 5 guys puck watching on one side of the ice leaving a guy alone at the circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad