Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NYI have won 8 in a row.

Make that 9 straight wins for the NYI with a shutout yesterday.

Their GM lead the Leafs to an all-time 100 year franchise record just 2 years ago.

The Lou Lam + Babcock GM/Coach combo had the Leafs at the top, both working together to deliver success.

How did it come to this?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Their GM lead the Leafs to an all-time 100 year franchise record just 2 years ago.

The Lou Lam + Babcock GM/Coach combo had the Leafs at the top, both working together to deliver success.

How did it come to this?

Trotz is a good coach.

Also it doesn't hurt that they played Winnipeg, Columbus, Arizona, Ottawa, and Phili in consecutive games. Not exactly the toughest competition.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Trotz is a good coach.

Also it doesn't hurt that they played Winnipeg, Columbus, Arizona, Ottawa, and Phili in consecutive games. Not exactly the toughest competition.

Islanders are like a better version of us - not much chance at a cup unless something big chances. For them, it's personnel, for us it's coaching and systems. Neither team will make much noise otherwise.

For all the complaining about our contracts, that Isles team has some real anchors on it too, I definitely wouldn't switch positions with them.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Islanders are like a better version of us - not much chance at a cup unless something big chances. For them, it's personnel, for us it's coaching and systems. Neither team will make much noise otherwise.

For all the complaining about our contracts, that Isles team has some real anchors on it too, I definitely wouldn't switch positions with them.

Agreed.

The Isles play a great system and have the right bodies for it. They have veteran depth that has grit and can play a tough defensive game with just enough offensive game breakers to give them some goals up front.

Goaltending is key but they also limit their chances.

Ultimately their lack of top end talent depth will catch up to them in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Podium

kb

Aug 28, 2009

How did it come to this?
Because Lou bailed when he saw the cap clusterfack he was left with because of many poor signings, and trading 2nds for 4th liners....leaving the Leafs short come draft time.

It's pretty easy if you look at it objectively. Which......you can't

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The way the Penguins are the bruins from the 2nd period on is something the leafs should constantly on replay.

They played with no fear and was constantly hard on the forecheck

Reactions: CelticDruid

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The only good thing about them being so good and starting this hot so early is that we may finally avoid them in the 1st rd

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
boston will win the presidents trophy. they are last years tampa.

hopefully they share the fate too :nod:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
the way we are playing now we might avoid everyone in the first round...

Still think we're too talented not to make the playoffs. But heck I'd take a WC2 spot if it means not going into TD Garden to start another playoff series.

Only way I want anything to do with Boston is if we somehow get home ice. But even than I'm not holding my breath

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
The way our systems are you will never see nights like this from our players often,

just pass to the point, crash the net, get a deflection repeat. no real movement in the o zone with us like you see other top teams do by using all 5 guys to cycle the puck around the zone instead of just feeding the point and going to rebounds, whats the point of paying all our big guys money to have them play like robots

unless the odd time we are on a rush chance, thats where you get to see our players' skills most. kinda sad really.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Trotz is a good coach.

This made me laugh. Bert do you actually believe level of competition would determine the Leafs' fate? they could play the worst team in the league and they would never win 9 in a row. It's just not in their DNA. That win streak is impressive for any team let alone the Isles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->