Around the League 2019-20 Pt3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Regarding the "hockey players are just dumbass people like you and me, too" topic:

I finally found Spittin Chiclets (yeah I know I'm pretty late to the party ....) and OH BOOOOOOOOOOOY I might have spent the last 10ish hours of free time of my life digging through those interviews.

The Tim Stapleton one? Incredible. I could have listened to him for 2 more hours at least.

The Sean Avery one? WOW I might be weirdo saying that but since I'm sometimes a narcistic, sophisticated misunderstood weirdo myself, I absolutely love Sean Avery now :D What a fascinating person. Incredible. He's probably incredibly hard to handle if you wanna be with him for longer amounts of times but that half an hour with him and Biz Nasty walking through NYC was so entertaining and interesting.

The Josh Hennessey story about his first 24 hours in Russia? Like... if you make a movie out of that story, everyone would be annoyed by the amount of stereotypical bullshit about Russians and noboldy would believe it :laugh: Incredible!

The Cam Janssen one was super interesting as well.

And I feel like I just barely scratched the surface. Anybody else here with some episode recommendations?
Kerry Fraser is phenomenal, Pronger is good, if you like just the shit talking there's good ones with Brendan Walsh, and another guy who's name escapes me, who are basically just Whit's friends who only played in the minors.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hey Brendan Leipsic you just went from making $1 Million CND in the NHL, and what are you going to do now!?!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Man if I ever come around to the Peg you're not gonna get rid of me buddy. I'm so gonna glue on you and your connections and be like a parasite sucking them off of you. Not even kidding here.
@ps241 is like a celebrity around these parts. He’s like Michael Jordan in his documentary, you try to get close to him for an autograph but gotta fight off hundreds of fans. At Jet games he’s better protected than Justin Trudeau. He’s a great guy that’ll buy you a beer if you ever get to meet him, but chances are all you’ll get is a wave as he’s driving by in a limo with Evander Kane.

:popcorn:
@Romang67 stocked him when he was here. It was getting weird. :D

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
@ps241 is like a celebrity around these parts. He’s like Michael Jordan in his documentary, you try to get close to him for an autograph but gotta fight off hundreds of fans. At Jet games he’s better protected than Justin Trudeau. He’s a great guy that’ll buy you a beer if you ever get to meet him, but chances are all you’ll get is a wave as he’s driving by in a limo with Evander Kane.

He was a bit nicer than I've gotten the impression Jordan is!:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

@Romang67 stocked him when he was here. It was getting weird. :D[/QUOTE]

ok thanks for the fake news.....where do I send your complimentary tickets for the PR?

Reactions: Duke749

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He was a bit nicer than I've gotten the impression Jordan is!:laugh:

Michael has that fame and fortune thing happening.

You were the rock Star in Winnipeg when you visited but it was 30 below so not the nicest welcome weather for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Romang67

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

ok thanks for the fake news.....where do I send your complimentary tickets for the PR?[/QUOTE]
:laugh:

Reactions: ps241

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Regarding the "hockey players are just dumbass people like you and me, too" topic:

I finally found Spittin Chiclets (yeah I know I'm pretty late to the party ....) and OH BOOOOOOOOOOOY I might have spent the last 10ish hours of free time of my life digging through those interviews.

The Tim Stapleton one? Incredible. I could have listened to him for 2 more hours at least.

The Sean Avery one? WOW I might be weirdo saying that but since I'm sometimes a narcistic, sophisticated misunderstood weirdo myself, I absolutely love Sean Avery now :D What a fascinating person. Incredible. He's probably incredibly hard to handle if you wanna be with him for longer amounts of times but that half an hour with him and Biz Nasty walking through NYC was so entertaining and interesting.

The Josh Hennessey story about his first 24 hours in Russia? Like... if you make a movie out of that story, everyone would be annoyed by the amount of stereotypical bullshit about Russians and noboldy would believe it :laugh: Incredible!

The Cam Janssen one was super interesting as well.

And I feel like I just barely scratched the surface. Anybody else here with some episode recommendations?

I like the ones they do with retired NHLers. They tend to let loose with their stories, understandably so. One of my favourites is Terry Ryan, especially his story about the Mike Milbury draft interview. f***ing hilarious, and the way he tells it makes it even better. I find Chiclets a mixed bag and largely based on the guests, some of their stuff is super chotchy (eg. beach side interview with obviously strung out Joffrey Lupul), but their good stuff is really good. Their interview with Burke is another good one.

Re: Avery, I’m with you. He’s a narcissist for sure, but an entertaining one.

Reactions: ps241

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I like the ones they do with retired NHLers. They tend to let loose with their stories, understandably so. One of my favourites is Terry Ryan, especially his story about the Mike Milbury draft interview. f***ing hilarious, and the way he tells it makes it even better. I find Chiclets a mixed bag and largely based on the guests, some of their stuff is super chotchy (eg. beach side interview with obviously strung out Joffrey Lupul), but their good stuff is really good. Their interview with Burke is another good one.

Re: Avery, I’m with you. He’s a narcissist for sure, but an entertaining one.

Is that the one about potentially staying out past curfew to “get some”?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Can't imagine mother's Day dinner at the Leipsic house tomorrow...

Yeah, just keep in mind that nuts don't fall far from the tree. No telling how much upbringing (or lack of same) played a part in how these yobs turned out but when two of them manifest this attitude, maybe you gotta look to the source.

Reactions: sipowicz

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is the KHL going to survive?

It should. Life will return to normal at some point. Maybe some leagues go on hiatus for a year, even two. But entertainment and sporting events with fans in the stands have to return because our societies want them, and aren't prepared to live without them indefinitely. We may wait for a vaccine, or for natural immunities to develop. Or we may just choose to live with the very minimal risk of dying from a new disease that has entered the world. Those at the higher risk levels may choose to stay away from events of mass attendance, or they may not. The same way some people choose to smoke, even though they know they run a very real risk of dying from cancer or heart disease as a result of it.

Reactions: RabidOne

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who knows. Hard to find credible info on that league.

I know they have had pretty severe financial problems in recent years. To some extent they have been subsidized by Russian oil oligarchs. With both the price and the demand for oil being in the sewer that subsidy may no longer be available. Difficult as the near future will be for the NHL, I think it will be worse for the KHL. Just guessing of course.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It should. Life will return to normal at some point. Maybe some leagues go on hiatus for a year, even two. But entertainment and sporting events with fans in the stands have to return because our societies want them, and aren't prepared to live without them indefinitely. We may wait for a vaccine, or for natural immunities to develop. Or we may just choose to live with the very minimal risk of dying from a new disease that has entered the world. Those at the higher risk levels may choose to stay away from events of mass attendance, or they may not. The same way some people choose to smoke, even though they know they run a very real risk of dying from cancer or heart disease as a result of it.

I'm sure there will still be hockey in Russia's future. I'm less certain about the KHL though.

The risk of dying from Covid-19 cannot be classified as minimal in any way. But at some point we will have to return to some version of normal, with or without a vaccine or herd immunity. What the new normal will be is impossible to say at this point.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If you read through the texts (they're still out there), you will see Mike Keane's kid Jackson is part of this circle of jerks. Am I gobsmacked by any of this? No. The hockey world is full of alpha twits who hold sexist and racist beliefs. Not saying a majority, but it is prevalent. Anyone that thinks all members of the Jets are paragons of family values and political correctness would probably be shocked and dismayed if they got a glimpse into some of their private lives.

Bad week exposes a crack in the NHL’s wholesome image

Saw this from Brett Hull...

Hull did a radio hit on Friday. During it, he was tossed a softball about whether he thinks the game is still “fun.” Hull used the Leipsic incident to focus on his answer.

“We did the same things. We said the same things. But there was no way to get caught,” Hull said, while the hosts presumably sat frozen in horror. “That’s why there’s no fun any more.”

So this is him telling you that Leipsic is not an outlier. He’s not even wrong. He may, in fact, be right. He’s just the dummy who got caught.

Now we have two versions of the NHL’s take on this episode – the one written by a committee of New York-based marketing hacks; and the one provided by a 55-year-old who has spent his entire life enmeshed in the game’s codes and rituals. Which sounds more true to you?

I agree with what the writer says. The NHL has an outside voice ( the one we see in the media, the one where the league tries to tell everyone the game is for all, and the political correct voice ) and the NHL has an inside voice ( the one that is on every plane ride, every bus ride, and in every dressing room ) .

What goes on in the room will never change... the players just might get caught less.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bad week exposes a crack in the NHL’s wholesome image

Saw this from Brett Hull...

Hull did a radio hit on Friday. During it, he was tossed a softball about whether he thinks the game is still “fun.” Hull used the Leipsic incident to focus on his answer.

“We did the same things. We said the same things. But there was no way to get caught,” Hull said, while the hosts presumably sat frozen in horror. “That’s why there’s no fun any more.”

So this is him telling you that Leipsic is not an outlier. He’s not even wrong. He may, in fact, be right. He’s just the dummy who got caught.

Now we have two versions of the NHL’s take on this episode – the one written by a committee of New York-based marketing hacks; and the one provided by a 55-year-old who has spent his entire life enmeshed in the game’s codes and rituals. Which sounds more true to you?

I agree with what the writer says. The NHL has an outside voice ( the one we see in the media, the one where the league tries to tell everyone the game is for all, and the political correct voice ) and the NHL has an inside voice ( the one that is on every plane ride, every bus ride, and in every dressing room ) .

What goes on in the room will never change... the players just might get caught less.
In every locker room there is a group of jerks who think and talk like that, while others tolerate the crap. Painting every player with the same brush is something the jerks do, because they want to minimize their own awfulness. That's what Hull is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad