Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The irony being of course that Nylander is struggling like crazy. I'm sure he'll get it back on track but whoa. If other teams were subject to the same criticism our players get, Nylander would be a worth a 3rd right now.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The irony being of course that Nylander is struggling like crazy. I'm sure he'll get it back on track but whoa. If other teams were subject to the same criticism our players get, Nylander would be a worth a 3rd right now.

It was foreseeable considering he missed training camp and a chunk of the regular season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This is the clearest separation I've seen between league powerhouses and 'the pack' in the cap era, imo.

It's mostly just TB. Like when Gretzky was putting up 215 points, but everyone else was more normal.

The Kings aren't the only team struggling with long-term contracts having gone to older players. I think this has a lot to do with it. Also, maybe players with the long-term deals just aren't as motivated.

I don't think the players do this consciously, but let's be honest insecurity makes humans nervous and more aggressive. Security makes us more "mellow".

I can't prove it, but my gut is telling me that NHL rosters in general are not turning over at the rate they used to turn over.

That's been the case for years now.

The cap has leveled everything out. You used to have the big spenders, and everyone else. Now everyone is everyone else. Every GM has to be a small market GM looking for value, because every dollar has to count. Every GM wants the same thing; young, cheap, productive players. Every one in a while, a trade here or there, you might get a GM that does something that goes against that want. For the most part though, nobody is looking to trade the good 20 year old on an ELC, or the 25 year old with a couple years left on his 2nd contract, and very few GMs will want the 30+ year old with half a decade left.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's mostly just TB. Like when Gretzky was putting up 215 points, but everyone else was more normal.

That's been the case for years now.

The cap has leveled everything out. You used to have the big spenders, and everyone else. Now everyone is everyone else. Every GM has to be a small market GM looking for value, because every dollar has to count. Every GM wants the same thing; young, cheap, productive players. Every one in a while, a trade here or there, you might get a GM that does something that goes against that want. For the most part though, nobody is looking to trade the good 20 year old on an ELC, or the 25 year old with a couple years left on his 2nd contract, and very few GMs will want the 30+ year old with half a decade left.
I think it is more due to long-term contracts, which is a by product of the cap. We know the owners can fix that in the next CBA.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Pretty good game between the two Alberta teams thus far, 3-2 Flames midway through the 3rd. We like to ride the Oilers about the Lucic contract for obvious reasons but the Flames giving Neal that 5 year x $5.75 million deal is brutal. For all the good Treliving has done in Calgary, that one is a big wart.

He’s just not fit in with them.

That’s an anchor on their cap for the forseable future.

Got to credit Vegas for letting him walk. Apparently, they didn’t even make an offer.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Pretty good game between the two Alberta teams thus far, 3-2 Flames midway through the 3rd. We like to ride the Oilers about the Lucic contract for obvious reasons but the Flames giving Neal that 5 year x $5.75 million deal is brutal. For all the good Treliving has done in Calgary, that one is a big wart.

He’s just not fit in with them.

That’s an anchor on their cap for the forseable future.

Got to credit Vegas for letting him walk. Apparently, they didn’t even make an offer.

I'm surprised he actually has 12 points. Of the handful of Flames games I've watched he was completely invisible.

Certain guys just work on certain teams... ie Tatar not working on Vegas...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm surprised he actually has 12 points. Of the handful of Flames games I've watched he was completely invisible.

Certain guys just work on certain teams... ie Tatar not working on Vegas...

Totally agree.

People underestimate chemistry and 'fit' in hockey. Though of course most of the time you won't know until it happens. Neal doesn't appear to be working at all in Calgary.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There is a reason a guy as talented as Neal gets moved around so much and exposed in expansion drafts. He isn't terrible as a one trick instant offense type guy on a short contract, but on a team like Calgary that is loaded offensively he has no place. 5 years was just awful.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There is a reason a guy as talented as Neal gets moved around so much and exposed in expansion drafts. He isn't terrible as a one trick instant offense type guy on a short contract, but on a team like Calgary that is loaded offensively he has no place. 5 years was just awful.

You ask Nashville fans, they were upset that the Preds basically had to expose Neal. They haven't really missed him though. Neither has Vegas. So Toffoli is likely a luxury in terms of trade value.

When you have 5 players that are on pace for between 120 and 87 points, you can hide a contract like Neal's. Although it might start to get tricky with Tkachuk this summer. Rittich too. The good thing for the Flames though, Gaudreau and Giordano both take up only $6.75m on the cap. Will Tkachuk get more than them?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You ask Nashville fans, they were upset that the Preds basically had to expose Neal. They haven't really missed him though. Neither has Vegas. So Toffoli is likely a luxury in terms of trade value.

When you have 5 players that are on pace for between 120 and 87 points, you can hide a contract like Neal's. Although it might start to get tricky with Tkachuk this summer. Rittich too. The good thing for the Flames though, Gaudreau and Giordano both take up only $6.75m on the cap. Will Tkachuk get more than them?

I expect MT to get similar to Nylander.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Really smart deal for Carolina with Teuvo Teräväinen. Only five years given to a 24 year old player. They have him locked up for his prime with none of the downside, and according to Cap Friendly there is no NTC or NMC.

Pretty good for Carolina to get a winger who will likely be a 50-60 point producer over each of the next five seasons after this one.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Helps when you're looking at a solid decade of not making the playoffs. Young players on a team like that don't break the bank, unless they're the elite guys. The Kings ended up having Brown on a similar % of the cap when he signed in 2007.
Helps when winning a championship doesn't affect the judgment of the GM, as it did with Bowman and Lombardi.

GMs need to understand which pieces of the puzzle are irreplaceable. Brown was an important piece, but not irreplaceable. His third contract, in terms of length, was a bad idea.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Helps when winning a championship doesn't affect the judgment of the GM, as it did with Bowman and Lombardi.

GMs need to understand which pieces of the puzzle are irreplaceable. Brown was an important piece, but not irreplaceable. His third contract, in terms of length, was a bad idea.

When Brown signed wasn't the cap projected to sky rocket like 2 years into the deal. It never happened.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When Brown signed wasn't the cap projected to sky rocket like 2 years into the deal. It never happened.
Which kind of shows how poorly GMs predict economics. The cap is very closely tied to the value of the Canadian dollar, which is largely dependent on the price of oil.

GM's should be basing their decisions on what the salary cap is at the time of the contract.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Which kind of shows how poorly GMs predict economics. The cap is very closely tied to the value of the Canadian dollar, which is largely dependent on the price of oil.

GM's should be basing their decisions on what the salary cap is at the time of the contract.

completely agreed.

Reactions: KINGS17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->