Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings have only scored 34 goals this season.

I've been in favor of rebuilding for awhile, but I've always thought we should hold on to Kopitar/Doughty to keep the franchise stable. I think I'm starting to change my mind. Things aren't exactly stable right now with them. Then I look at teams like NYR/OTT/MTL; teams are that are supposed to be crap but are actually respectable. Makes me think we wouldn't even necessarily be that bad if we started selling off the whole damn roster. So much parity in the league.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings have only scored 34 goals this season.

I've been in favor of rebuilding for awhile, but I've always thought we should hold on to Kopitar/Doughty to keep the franchise stable. I think I'm starting to change my mind. Things aren't exactly stable right now with them. Then I look at teams like NYR/OTT/MTL; teams are that are supposed to be crap but are actually respectable. Makes me think we wouldn't even necessarily be that bad if we started selling off the whole damn roster. So much parity in the league.

That's young, hungry talent for you.

Not good enough to make the playoffs and win, but damn sure fast, skilled, and motivated enough to make it interesting.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I love reading all the TO Athletic articles, because each comment section is a meltdown over the Cap. Hope folks appreciate what we had, because Dubas has painted TO into a corner without the salary flexibility to make big moves and favorite or not they haven't even gotten past the 1st round :laugh:

If they don't at least make the ECF, this season will have to be seen as a failure.

Tavares was their Richards. Sort of scrap the slower building, and go for it. If they don't shop for Tavares, they have room for Nylander.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Tavares was their Richards. Sort of scrap the slower building, and go for it. If they don't shop for Tavares, they have room for Nylander.

Totally agree, accelerated things. But aside from the current Nylander situation, they have the following free agents, and that's not counting any deadline deals they make to shore up that defense:

Marner
Kapanen
Johnsson
Leivo
Moore
Lindholm
Ennis

Ozhiganov
Marincin
Gardiner
Hainsey

Sparks

They're about to have some growing pains as they have to replace those guys with either cheaper even more unproven youth or free agents that will be pricier to fill the gap. Theoretically Nylander will be a trade to patch the D, but otherwise, it's in even worse shape next year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Love these lists::nod:

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 9.51.31 AM.png

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
But knowing Deano’s disdain for talent, he’d trade down to pick Hickey, like he did when he was Sharks GM when he moved down to draft Brad Stuart.

Memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember most projecting David Legwand to be a solid but not surefire star center and most felt he was a clear step down from Lecavalier that draft. The Sharks had just drafted Patrick Marleau the previous year, so perhaps they thought they had that "#1 center" box filled and saw Stuart as a potential cornerstone defenseman. As it turned out, Legwand and Stuart's both were mild disappointments offensively.

In Deano's defense, it wasn't as though he traded out of the Lecavalier spot. Although I still find it interesting that he traded away his lottery odds at that trade deadline in order to pick up Bryan Marchment. Earlier in the season he dealt away his own first rounder for Mike Ricci, while also dealing away Viktor Kozlov for Florida's first. In a bad bit of luck, Florida ended up "winning" the lottery.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Except Tavares is the better player and Tavares and Matthews is better than Nylander and Matthews. Nylander should net them a good d and moving Kadri will net them another one.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I love reading all the TO Athletic articles, because each comment section is a meltdown over the Cap. Hope folks appreciate what we had, because Dubas has painted TO into a corner without the salary flexibility to make big moves and favorite or not they haven't even gotten past the 1st round :laugh:

If they don't at least make the ECF, this season will have to be seen as a failure.

Moving Nylander and possibly Kadri will net them upgrades on defense. And what 'big moves' would they need? they have strength down the middle, a good goalie and lots of young forwards who contribute. Defense is what they will upgrade. They made the 'big move' by signing Tavares, and trading Nylander (who isn't worth 8.5 IMO) will get them the defense man they need.
Not making the ECF this year, how is that a failure? Matthews, Tavaares and Marner will be there for years, they are a team that is going to be a threat for years. They aren't old and on expiring contracts.

Dubas is paining them into a corner? For all the folks here who are clamoring for Nylander, his 8.5 would give the Kings 3 players at 30M. Isn't that painting them into a corner?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Totally agree, accelerated things. But aside from the current Nylander situation, they have the following free agents, and that's not counting any deadline deals they make to shore up that defense:

Marner
Kapanen
Johnsson
Leivo
Moore
Lindholm
Ennis

Ozhiganov
Marincin
Gardiner
Hainsey

Sparks

They're about to have some growing pains as they have to replace those guys with either cheaper even more unproven youth or free agents that will be pricier to fill the gap. Theoretically Nylander will be a trade to patch the D, but otherwise, it's in even worse shape next year.

Absolutely, that's why the hard line on Nylander, they sign Marner, Kapanen, Matthews, you forgot him, but those 3 get major raises, Johnsson, Leivo will get minor raises, they will let go Moore and Ennis...

They will get go Marincin and Hainsey, and resign Ozhiganov and Gardiner, if it makes fiscal sense....

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The trades this year have involved 3 total goals switching teams, for about $14m worth of cap space. A bad NHL player is a damn good job if you can get it. I messed up somewhere along the way.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Could it be the summer of the offersheet?

I think it might be and the subject has come up recently concerning Nylander and how many GM's would go that route if he's not signed or traded. Of course, that team has to have all the drafts picks required going the other way (by contract $$ ) and in that year and it has to be their own picks, not via a trade.
But it is a very impressive list and I think it's a decent chance some of those players get offer sheets.
I think given the Bolts CAP situation and Kucherov needing a deal, among others, some GM would be smart to offer sheet POinte, the kid is a stud.

Reactions: DoktorJeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad