Around the League 2018-2019 Part 2- Everyone is having fun except us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No thank you on Kessel. 3 more years at almost $7m per. And every winger in Pittsburgh has inflated numbers. He'd be hated on this board by the turn of the year.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
No thank you on Kessel. 3 more years at almost $7m per. And every winger in Pittsburgh has inflated numbers. He'd be hated on this board by the turn of the year.

And he's 31 years old, and not particularly known for his intangibles if you're trying to bring him in to mentor a young team.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Pretend poll: If he's traded here, who on the Kings begs Kessel to use his lightsaber first?

My $ is on Doughty.

2098825_orig.gif

Reactions: KINGS17

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Smart move by SJ. It's stupid to give older players that much money for that many years. You can maybe excuse the Kings because they had past success with Doughty and Kopitar and that was part of the decision, no such thing with Karlsson.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Apparently the San Jose spin is that Evander Kane said/did something similar last off-season. That being said, nobody put a gun to Karlsson's head to actually tweet any kind of message to San Jose and its fans today. Also, the market for Evander Kane was dramatically different than what Karlsson's is going to be like.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Smart move by SJ. It's stupid to give older players that much money for that many years. You can maybe excuse the Kings because they had past success with Doughty and Kopitar and that was part of the decision, no such thing with Karlsson.

His injuries are a going to be a problem for who ever signs him. I don't see him getting Doughty money or term. For a guy relying on his movement, that groin/leg injury is a big red flag.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
His injuries are a going to be a problem for who ever signs him. I don't see him getting Doughty money or term. For a guy relying on his movement, that groin/leg injury is a big red flag.

Yeah, the biggest issue for him is that he relies solely on his skating ability to be successful. He is absolutely horrendous in his own zone, but attempts to outscore his defensive issues. There is a legit chance that he ends up leading this postseason in 5v5 GA, he has 6 more than Pietrangelo with more than 30 less minutes. That could be a picture of his future and any team giving him Doughty money will end up regretting it.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
EK just ran into too many injury issues right in the middle of his prime.

At their peaks, he was better than Doughty by a hair, maybe two. But you have to agree at this point Doughty is the better long term player to lock down at big #1D money.

For all his faults, Doughty is basically Chris Chelios. He’ll have a long, successful career well past his prime.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Every time I start to actually appreciate EK when he's at his best, I remember all the Ottawa fans constantly bashing Doughty during his Norris winning season and acting like that was the biggest robbery in all of sports.

He's a fantastic player for sure but **** the people who treated him as though he's literally Bobby Orr.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
There was a particular Rangers fan who hopped on the EK bandwagon HARDCORE around the time the Kings spanked the Rangers in the SCF and would completely champion EK as the best defenseman and that tilting the ice with shots for vs against was the end all be all. All the while he completely ignored the fact that for some reason (crap defense), EK was always among the league leaders (losers) in being on the ice during the most goals allowed per 60 and completely downplaying Drew's low GAA while on ice. It was always the bad luck excuse...year after year. Once or twice to be in that kind of company and it might be coincidence. When it's year after year, it's a pattern and there's more to it than bad luck. It reminds me of how for a bit, Kings fans defended Jack Johnson's plus minus. Eventually, the numbers just become overwhelming in one direction and you just have to accept reality for what it is. EK has been a great offensive force just about every season he's been in the league. He's actually been a good defender for maybe 2 of those seasons and mediocre to flat out bad the rest. Those same clowns thought he was the next Lidstrom when he was/is probably closer to Paul Coffey (which is still great).

Reactions: Faterson

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
EK just ran into too many injury issues right in the middle of his prime.

At their peaks, he was better than Doughty by a hair, maybe two. But you have to agree at this point Doughty is the better long term player to lock down at big #1D money.

For all his faults, Doughty is basically Chris Chelios. He’ll have a long, successful career well past his prime.

I feel like they were both at their peaks in the 2014 Olympics and it was essentially a wash. We've seen spurts of EK being elite defensively just as we've seen spurts of Doughty taking over games offensively, including on the big stages in the WCF/SCF/Olympics.

The problem is EK's so god damn volatile and injury-prone. Drew's relative consistency and health gets downplayed, the guy has been insanely durable for years upon years and he's the tortoise to EK's hare.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I feel like they were both at their peaks in the 2014 Olympics and it was essentially a wash. We've seen spurts of EK being elite defensively just as we've seen spurts of Doughty taking over games offensively, including on the big stages in the WCF/SCF/Olympics.

The problem is EK's so god damn volatile and injury-prone. Drew's relative consistency and health gets downplayed, the guy has been insanely durable for years upon years and he's the tortoise to EK's hare.

Doughty’s consistency and durability are no joke. He’s played in 98.15% of all possible regular season games that he could play in - he’s only missed 16 games in his career, and zero in his last five years (excluding his suspension in last year’s playoffs). That’s legitimately insane. That’s unbelievable.

Karlsson has played in 86.51% of his possible regular season games, for reference.

And just for fun, Kopitar has played in 97.18% of his.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Doughty vs EK is starting to feel like Borque vs Coffey to me. Drew seems like our version of Ray Borque. He is great at all facets of the game, logs major minutes for full seasons and is just a natural athlete who ages well.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty’s consistency and durability are no joke. He’s played in 98.15% of all possible regular season games that he could play in - he’s only missed 16 games in his career, and zero in his last five years (excluding his suspension in last year’s playoffs). That’s legitimately insane. That’s unbelievable.

Karlsson has played in 86.51% of his possible regular season games, for reference.

And just for fun, Kopitar has played in 97.18% of his.

And even beyond that, EK's play has been given the injury alibi for the last 2+ years now. As if Doughty has never played hurt, but he's always judged by the gold standard.

This is the first legitimately bad season of Drew's career and look how much he gets dumped on while you still have people after the last two years pumping EK as the best in the world.

Doughty's getting taxed for his health and consistency rather than recognized for it.

For now I guess I'm ok with it because if there's one thing Drew doesn't like much it's bad press :P

Reactions: kilowatt

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
NHL Rumors: Pens, Canes, Sharks, Sens, Leafs, Flyers, Knights and More - MyNHLTradeRumors.com

Sportsnet theorizing that Sam Bennet might get an offer sheet. Flames will need north of 8M (per the article) to sign Tzachuk and will need to move some salary out. They have a little more than 14M in CAP space with Tzachuk and other contracts expiring, including 2 goalies to sign.

So if a team wants to take a chance on Bennett :

An offer sheet in the $1.82 million to $3.65 million range would only cost a team a second-round pick.

Of course they could match but not likely, given the other contracts. Brodie's name (and it came up prior to the trade deadline) came up again and salary moving out.

That Neal contract is an albatross...4 more yrs at 5.7M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad