Around The League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
just goes to show you that you shouldn't be trading a top 10 pick to get a goalie

#my.02cents

Because there are really a lot of top ten picks being traded for 30+ year old goalies.

It’s become a meme here but people don’t seem to criticize actually taking a goalie with a top ten pick when it works (Fleury, Price), and those guys are less proven than anyone you trade for.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Because there are really a lot of top ten picks being traded for 30+ year old goalies.

It’s become a meme here but people don’t seem to criticize actually taking a goalie with a top ten pick when it works (Fleury, Price), and those guys are less proven than anyone you trade for.

I don't think there will be another goalie drafted with a top ten pick. Moreover, Fleury was an average goalie and he was drafted #1 overall - that was absolutely not worth it for Pittsburgh.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think there will be another goalie drafted with a top ten pick. Moreover, Fleury was an average goalie and he was drafted #1 overall - that was absolutely not worth it for Pittsburgh.

I’m not Fleury’s biggest fan either but they won a Cup with him and he’s a borderline HOF’er, if that isn’t working out that’s a ridiculously high bar even for a #1 overall.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’m not Fleury’s biggest fan either but they won a Cup with him and he’s a borderline HOF’er, if that isn’t working out that’s a ridiculously high bar even for a #1 overall.

He's only a borderline HOFer because he has 3 Stanley Cup rings. He's Chris Osgood who was drafted #1 overall. An average starting goalie.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's only a borderline HOFer because he has 3 Stanley Cup rings. He's Chris Osgood who was drafted #1 overall. An average starting goalie.

Well that and he’s got a non zero chance to finish 2nd or 3rd all time in wins, which I know is another hot button stat here but really that high a career total is impressive in its own right.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well that and he’s got a non zero chance to finish 2nd or 3rd all time in wins, which I know is another hot button stat here but really that high a career total is impressive in its own right.

He's been an average goalie on some great teams for a very long time, I agree. The top of the 2003 draft is weird but Eric Staal is also going to be a Hall of Famer and he actually was a superstar player.

Some of this changes if Fleury continues to play at a very high level for Vegas, for sure, but early returns aren't great on that this year, at least.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

You DID watch him play last year, right?

I'm the LAST person to be a MAF fan, but despite the guy's occasional troubles in the playoffs, he has been forced to be exceptional at times, and I think he's answered the bell.

'average' ain't anywhere close.

He's been very good, and arguably always top-10 for the past decade+.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

I'm the LAST person to be a MAF fan, but despite the guy's occasional troubles in the playoffs, he has been forced to be exceptional at times, and I think he's answered the bell.

Agreed. Not a huge MAF fan either but calling him average is unfair.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

He was great last year, no argument there. He was great in 2007-08 in the playoffs. His NHL career to date is exactly average, but he was probably brought up from the minors too early, so let's call him slightly above-average. He's had horrible playoffs as well, and those tend not to last very long.

Slightly above-average goalies will have great years. It's the nature of the position.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've said this about Fleury quite a few times over the last year. I do not consider Fleury's career (to date) as anything better than an average goaltender, but his last 5 years or so have been the best 5 years of his career. I never considered Fleury a top-10 goaltender at any point between 2004-2013 or so, but since the 14-15 season he's been one of the best in the league. Definitely one of the best over that span of years, and I'd definitely consider him a top-7 goalie or so in the league right now.

He's had a weird career. He's actually gotten better into his 30's. I always thought of him as an average at best goalie on a very stacked team for his first decade in the league (not that the Pens were stacked in his first couple of years in the league). I agree with Triumph, the decision to bring him as an 18 year old rookie was not a good one on Pittsburgh's part. He played 21 games in 03-04 (13 before his 19th birthday) and he shouldn't have been up.

I do think that he's probably better than Osgood was, but he was rather pedestrian (2009) or on the bench during the playoffs/half the playoffs when Pittsburgh won cups. He was having a pretty solid 2017 playoffs, but after a couple of games where he got lit up, they took him out because he was a lame duck anyway. They already knew he was going to Vegas, so it made sense to shut him down, so not to risk injuring him and Pittsburgh taking someone else. Vegas and Pittsburgh already talked and decided they would take Fleury by the time they were in the playoffs in 2017.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Speaking of average goalies drafted #1 overall, DiPietro was a REALLY bad pick at first overall. I know injuries killed him, but I remember thinking he was badly overrated back in 2005-2008, before his career really just fell apart completely due to injury.

I used to catch shit for saying Lundqvist was better than DiPietro back in 2005-2008. He also played 20 games as a 19 year old rookie though.

There was so much hype around this goalie when he was drafted. One day I will dig up the hockey reference issue I have from either 2000 or 2001 (it might even be from 2003 or 2004?) that said he was the best goalie to enter the league since Martin Brodeur did a decade prior.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Speaking of average goalies drafted #1 overall, DiPietro was a REALLY bad pick at first overall. I know injuries killed him, but I remember thinking he was badly overrated back in 2005-2008, before his career really just fell apart completely due to injury.

I used to catch **** for saying Lundqvist was better than DiPietro back in 2005-2008. He also played 20 games as a 19 year old rookie though.

There was so much hype around this goalie when he was drafted. One day I will dig up the hockey reference issue I have from either 2000 or 2001 (it might even be from 2003 or 2004?) that said he was the best goalie to enter the league since Martin Brodeur did a decade prior.

Average is an overstatement for DiPietro my good Sir. You are right though... he was hyped like no other goalie of that generation. Somehow he knew to take that super long term deal, which always made me think that he was aware that he had chronic issues or at least prone to certain types of injuries.

Reactions: Bleedred

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

I used to catch **** for saying Lundqvist was better than DiPietro back in 2005-2008. He also played 20 games as a 19 year old rookie though.

He was on the forefront of the puck-moving goalie revolution. He was probably better than Marty at controlling dump ins.

The NHL then added the trapezoid which promoted immobile butterfly goailes while guys like DiPietro and Turco weren't able to keep up. He was really effective from 2001-2004 though

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

He was hyper-athletic like Quick, and I think if he didn't get hurt he could've been very very good.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was on the forefront of the puck-moving goalie revolution. He was probably better than Marty at controlling dump ins.

The NHL then added the trapezoid which promoted immobile butterfly goailes while guys like DiPietro and Turco weren't able to keep up. He was really effective from 2001-2004 though
I never found anything remarkable about his puck stopping ability. I'll excuse his 00-01 and 02-03 seasons, as he was 19 and 21 years old during those seasons. He was solid in 03-04, right around average in 05-06 (.900 save percentage was just below the league average .901 in the post-lockout inflated stats/lower save percentage year), was very good in 06-07 and then one poor season 07-08, followed by disastrous injury plagued years.

He got that stupid deal, i wanna say it was either during training camp or very early in the 06-07 season. He didn't even have that really 06-07 season by the time he got that deal. He was working with one solid season and one average season and a couple crappy seasons as a 19 and 21 year old when he got that deal.
Average is an overstatement for DiPietro my good Sir. You are right though... he was hyped like no other goalie of that generation. Somehow he knew to take that super long term deal, which always made me think that he was aware that he had chronic issues or at least prone to certain types of injuries.
And as I just said, I'm surprised he got that deal, as his only great season came the year right after he got that deal and I'm pretty sure that year wasn't apart of that deal. It kicked in the next year, which was year one of him never turning back from being awful and injury plagued. I never understood the rationale behind that deal. Just too much term.

Now if he were still playing and wasn't bought out, he'd still be under contract for 3 or 4 more years including this one.:laugh: His later years of that deal probably had very little actual dollars, so it's not like he would have played until 2021 or 2022 anyway, but it's still funny.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was hyper-athletic like Quick, and I think if he didn't get hurt he could've been very very good.
He was pretty young still when he started getting injured and became ineffective, so maybe he would have been. I think he was 25 in his last semi-healthy season. I think even in that season he got injured, even though he played 63 games. Remember, they played Doobiewicz (or whatever that guy's name was) in the season finale against us in 07 when they needed to win to make the playoffs and they beat us in the shootout. I think DP was unavailable to play that afternoon.

He wound up playing 63 games in in 07-08 also, but his drop off in play was quite drastic, so I'm assuming this was his first injury plagued season, even though he played almost all of it. He played only a combined 13 games in the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons. If you take away his 26 games played in 10-11, he played 24 games over 4 of his last 5 seasons in the NHL and just 50 games in his last 5 years in the NHL.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait a minute, did Borowiecki (can't spell this guy's name) seriously get suspended again? He was just suspended only like a week ago! And now he's been suspended for 3 games for a hit from last night's game in Vegas?

He must have brain damage from being forced to do that stupid video with Melnyk before the season started.

Reactions: VoidCreature

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Wait a minute, did Borowiecki (can't spell this guy's name) seriously get suspended again? He was just suspended only like a week ago! And now he's been suspended for 3 games for a hit from last night's game in Vegas?

He must have brain damage from being forced to do that stupid video with Melnyk before the season started.

Yes - the guy is on my fantasy team and is a penalty-minute/hit machine... The McJesus of PIMs got 20 last night for a hit on Eakin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->