Around The League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
even though you went on record in '15 saying you didn't want him?

Since you asked me, I will provide an off-topic reply.

Absolutely, I was not employed by the New Jersey Devils in scouting in 2015.
As you already know, I was on record wanting Barzal, Ivan or Connor.

I think at this point, even the extreme loyalists have come to the conclusion that Conte majorly screwed that pick up.

But getting back to Rantanan, he is one of the most promising players in the league.
Big, strong, skilled, smart, tough.

I'm glad he is in the Western Conference.

Last edited:

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I know this happened a few days ago but I just thought of this story. I went to an Islander game with my dad circa 2002, and there were like 1,000 in the crowd after a huge blizzard. After the game we walked out of the arena by the box office and Charles Wang was thanking every single person for coming to the game and gave away free popcorn and hot chocolate during the game. I saw him after other games through the years he owned the team and even when he was with his family he always thanked you for coming and asked if you had fun. He was a very nice man. RIP

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know this happened a few days ago but I just thought of this story. I went to an Islander game with my dad circa 2002, and there were like 1,000 in the crowd after a huge blizzard. After the game we walked out of the arena by the box office and Charles Wang was thanking every single person for coming to the game and gave away free popcorn and hot chocolate during the game. I saw him after other games through the years he owned the team and even when he was with his family he always thanked you for coming and asked if you had fun. He was a very nice man. RIP
Seems like a nice guy, didn't know much about him. Nice story though.

Garth Snow is set up for life thanks to him hahahaha.

Was that game against the Devils?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The snow game was against the Blackhawks (Yashin had like 4 points that night lol).

Even when going to Devils games and I wore my jersey he was still very nice.
I used to go to Nassau once a year to see the Devils and never really ran into him. I actually loved going to games at the Coliseum, as long as they were on weekends. It was a fun barn to see games.

Mr. Wang likely would not have approved of my anti-Islanders rhetoric and behavior though!:DD

Reactions: sabremike

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Look at all the goalies injured this year, quick, cory, rinee, luongo. What do they all have in common? They all play the overrated butterfly style, which greatly increases your risk of injury as a goalie.

Quick just got re injured for a second time this season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well yeah but let's bear in mind Rinne is about to turn 36 and Luongo is 39. The butterfly hasn't shortened their careers that much really. Same with Lundqvist who's 36. Quick and Cory have been getting hurt an inordinate amount though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Look at all the goalies injured this year, quick, cory, rinee, luongo. What do they all have in common? They all play the overrated butterfly style, which greatly increases your risk of injury as a goalie.

I don't really feel like Quick is your typical butterfly goalie though, not like those other guys. Rinne got a concussion, for what it's worth. He had injury problems, as well as performance problems, but that was a few years back now.

Well yeah but let's bear in mind Rinne is about to turn 36 and Luongo is 39. The butterfly hasn't shortened their careers that much really. Same with Lundqvist who's 36. Quick and Cory have been getting hurt an inordinate amount though.
I'm not denying the butterfly is harder on a goalies knees, but Luongo is ancient at this point. He was fairly healthy in his prime, but has missed significant time the last 3-4 years. He's the oldest goalie in the NHL right now and has been for a few years now. I think that Luongo has been the oldest goalie in the NHL since Marty and Nabokov retired 4 years ago. At least the oldest to have a full time roster spot. Teams may have called up a goalie (like when we had Clemmensen 4 years ago) to play a few games, that was older than him since then.

That's actually a good question. Kiprusoff was older, but he's been retired since 2013. Are there any goalies in the NHL that have had a full time roster spot (not including if their seasons were shortened by injury) that are older than Luongo, since Brodeur and Nabokov retired around January of 2015? I don't think we're gonna find many, if any at all.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just noticed our boy Henrique's off to a really terrible start.

Through 11 games he's only on pace for 37 points. Hopefully he picks it up.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Is that really so far off his career average? I mean, it's a small sample size. If he had 1 more point, he'd be on pace to get around 45, which is pretty much what you expect from him. Add to that the fact that he's a streaky player and I'd say there's no reason to be worried for him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pesce is a player I had wanted us to draft. Local .Skates well, physical.

He's an unsung guy on their blue line and may make Falk expendable for a top center

We preferred Santini who was billed as more physical at the time, but I thought Pesce was more well rounded.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think he had an assist tonight, so it's now 6 points in 12 games. Henrique is the kind of player that can have a 40 point season or a 50 point season. You never really know what you're gonna get with him.
We've seen that movie plenty of times.
Haha I know. Last year he had 8 points after 11 games. Actually 8 points in 10 games. Then he had 1 point through the next 9 games and had 9 after 19 games, which got him demoted to the 4th line for a game. He then erupted for 3 points in game 20 of the season and wound up getting 2 points in the 3 games after that, which were 3 of his last 4 games as a Devil.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

granted i'm super new to this sports betting and i mostly touch the nfl only because the odds/payouts for nhl action is super low and not really worth the risk. a 5 game parlay in hockey maybe pays double but that same nfl bet will payout way more.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

just goes to show you that you shouldn't be trading a top 10 pick to get a goalie

#my.02cents

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

i never met the guy and i know supposedly from what i've read loosely about him now that he had some super shady business dealings and stuff like that but as far as hockey goes? i think the isles should be super glad he was the owner and he tried his best to get them a legit place on the island to play hockey. if he didn't come along maybe the team is moved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad