Around the League 2018-19 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
...what a great night.

Tomorrow has three games and not a single one of them matter to the Oilers.

They've come out of this two game skid and busy OOT schedule relatively unscathed. I don't care how, but they need to win Saturday.

I don't understand the count, or why some results are considered wins or relevant.

Vegas and Vancouver both won. Doesn't help us in the slightest. Calgary tied and got a point out of it. Some other results, Nashville, hardly matter as that club will finish ahead of us.

The ones that help are Ducks, Stars, Sharks losing but on the whole the night was pretty much a saw off on results.

I must be thinking this differently. Also seems like for some reason the Nucks beating the Blues was considered a win for us. Why would that be? Also magnifies in bookends that Flames and Canucks destroyed the Blues and we managed to lose to them. To me that magnifies our duds.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just noticed the Molson three stars were

1.Gaudreau
2. Kucherov
3. Bennett

LOL. Calgary salty after that L.

Except its not a regulation loss, Flames get a point, and increased their margin over us to 9pts, getting that point against the best team in the league. They're 1pt out of first in the conference. How would they be salty in first place? We're barely holding down a last wild card spot.

The really bad news for us is Vegas continuing to be on a roll and increasing their margin on first wild card spot. Vegas has 15W's in last 20GP after starting the season slow. They are clearly carving out a spot as one of the better clubs in the conference again and moving up the standings.

The difficulty with being in last wild card spot is its a position subject to any other team below us getting hot. For instance any of Dallas, Minny, Vancouver are still alive in the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tw0Shoes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't understand the count, or why some results are considered wins or relevant.

Vegas and Vancouver both won. Doesn't help us in the slightest. Calgary tied and got a point out of it. Some other results, Nashville, hardly matter as that club will finish ahead of us.

The ones that help are Ducks, Stars, Sharks losing but on the whole the night was pretty much a saw off on results.

I must be thinking this differently. Also seems like for some reason the Nucks beating the Blues was considered a win for us. Why would that be? Also magnifies in bookends that Flames and Canucks destroyed the Blues and we managed to lose to them. To me that magnifies our duds.

What?

In division - San Jose with a regulation loss, Anaheim with a regulation loss, Calgary with a SO loss and Vegas with a regulation win (1-2-1). Not really too concerned with Vancouver or Arizona over the long haul.

Wild Card - Dallas and Minnesota regulation loss with Dallas losing to lowly Chicago (0-2)

The games that really matter in the OOT - 1-4-1. How is that a saw off?
I'm mostly invested in the wild card at this point as I think top 3 in the division is an extreme longshot so it was a perfect night as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What?

In division - San Jose with a regulation loss, Anaheim with a regulation loss, Calgary with a SO loss and Vegas with a regulation win (1-2-1)

Wild Card - Dallas and Minnesota regulation loss with Dallas losing to lowly Chicago (0-2)

The games that really matter in the OOT - 1-4-1. How is that a saw off?

The trouble is in how 'games that really matter and positive results" are being defined.

Plus that Flames didn't lose, they tied, against the best team in the league. That is a bad result for us.

Vegas and Vancouver won.

So to me the night is 4-2-1.

Shouldn't have said saw off but prior in the thread it was being called a 6-1-1- night. I merely don't understand that tally.

Plus how can we legitimately say the Nucks winning doesn't matter when they just beat us. They seem to be hanging around. They're 1 pt behind us.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The trouble is in how 'games that really matter and positive results" are being defined.

Plus that Flames didn't lose, they tied, against the best team in the league. That is a bad result for us.

Vegas and Vancouver won.

So to me the night is 4-2-1.

Shouldn't have said saw off but prior in the thread it was being called a 6-1-1- night. I merely don't understand that tally.

2-4-1 you mean. I don't know where the 1-6-1 tally came from.

I'm not concerned with Vancouver long term. I know the Oilers just lost to them but Vancouver has all the looks of a team that will fade down the stretch. The grind will catch up to Pettersson at some point and their defense and goaltending isn't good enough to compensate.

Anyway, I'm more focused on the wild card so Calgary isn't even a consideration for me right now. They are far better than the Oilers at this point and I expect two of San Jose and Vegas or Anaheim to stay well clear of the Oilers eventually so I'm more focused on the wild card with 4th place in the division and the 2 Central teams.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2-4-1 you mean. I don't know where the 1-6-1 tally came from.

I'm not concerned with Vancouver long term. I know the Oilers just lost to them but Vancouver has all the looks of a team that will fade down the stretch. The grind will catch up to Pettersson at some point and their defense and goaltending isn't good enough to compensate.

Anyway, I'm more focused on the wild card so Calgary isn't even a consideration for me right now. They are far better than the Oilers at this point and I expect two of San Jose and Vegas or Anaheim to stay well clear of the Oilers eventually so I'm more focused on the wild card with 4th place in the division and the 2 Central teams.

Yeah, a thread was just started on this now. we can bring the convo over there, or here. I agree that it looks like WC now. I was hoping the Oilers could sneak into 3rd in Pacific but that looks remote now.

We may place as low as 5th in pacific.

So that its the Wild Card race. Like I said in other thread though is DAllas just got Klingberg back yesterday and he was rusty and off. -3. It will take a few games for them to get benefit of the player. He is a huge part of their core 4. We don't have a D like that to compare to. But suffice to say taking Klingberg out of lineup would be a bigger hit than us losing even Larsson. Probably equates to losing a RNH.

Not sure whats up with Minny. I don't follow that club anymore.

I expect Dallas to be hot on the run barring injury, and I think Vancouver will continue their feel good story and hang around. Can never discount that team is under zero pressure and having fun out there. its often that a team like that can be dangerous. So I don't discount their W.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I expect Dallas to be hot on the run barring injury, and I think Vancouver will continue their feel good story and hang around. Can never discount that team is under zero pressure and having fun out there. its often that a team like that can be dangerous. So I don't discount their W.
Vancouver is on a 6-1-1 heater right now and still behind us while we have games in hand

I doubt they continue to play at .812 winning %

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, a thread was just started on this now. we can bring the convo over there, or here. I agree that it looks like WC now. I was hoping the Oilers could sneak into 3rd in Pacific but that looks remote now.

We may place as low as 5th in pacific.

So that its the Wild Card race. Like I said in other thread though is DAllas just got Klingberg back yesterday and he was rusty and off. -3. It will take a few games for them to get benefit of the player. He is a huge part of their core 4. We don't have a D like that to compare to. But suffice to say taking Klingberg out of lineup would be a bigger hit than us losing even Larsson. Probably equates to losing a RNH.

Not sure whats up with Minny. I don't follow that club anymore.

I'm pretty much in the same mindset.

I know a lot of people around here don't want to acknowledge it but Calgary is legit so I expect them to fight for the division crown the entire season. San Jose is a level or two better than the Oilers as well and I expect Vegas to rise towards the top. Anaheim I'm not so sure about, their offense leaves a lot to be desired so I think the Oilers can hang with them.

The Central teams are mediocre. I know that Minnesota always finds a way to get safely into the playoffs but that perfectly average roster is bound to regress to average eventually and Dallas is very Jekyll and Hyde so I think the Oilers could hang with these teams all year. I'm somewhat cautious about St. Louis putting it all together at some point when Pietrangelo returns (that roster should be top 4 in the west) but something just seems to be off with the chemistry there.

IMO, playoffs would be a bonus this season with the roster as currently constructed so I'm just glad to being having an Oiler playoff conversation headed towards the new year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Except its not a regulation loss, Flames get a point, and increased their margin over us to 9pts, getting that point against the best team in the league. They're 1pt out of first in the conference. How would they be salty in first place? We're barely holding down a last wild card spot.

The really bad news for us is Vegas continuing to be on a roll and increasing their margin on first wild card spot. Vegas has 15W's in last 20GP after starting the season slow. They are clearly carving out a spot as one of the better clubs in the conference again and moving up the standings.

The difficulty with being in last wild card spot is its a position subject to any other team below us getting hot. For instance any of Dallas, Minny, Vancouver are still alive in the race.

Probably the best flames team game I've seen all year...The lightning are legit, what a game! Their goalie stood on his head in the 3rd, will be interested in seeing you guys play them. I Think Edmonton matches up well against the bolts.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vancouver is on a 6-1-1 heater right now and still behind us while we have games in hand

I doubt they continue to play at .812 winning %

We were on a dozen game Hitch heater just to get where we are at. Not much different. That said I expect the Oilers to finish ahead of the Nucks and if they don't the Oilers don't deserve playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Probably the best flames team game I've seen all year...The lightning are legit, what a game! Their goalie stood on his head in the 3rd, will be interested in seeing you guys play them. I Think Edmonton matches up well against the bolts.

Yeah, we match up well with Tampa but one of our players that is a handful for Tampa, Khaira, is out suspended.

Its the big Oilers players that can lean on the Lightning that typically cause them more problems. Tampa have trouble against bigger physical clubs. Its the recipe to beat them as Pens, Caps, etc have repeatedly shown in past seasons.

Calgary I thought played Tampa more straight up with similar style. Felt like a skating game. I was disappointed though with how often players would complain to try to get a penalty call. That shouldn't be happening on every shift. Just play the game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Anaheim lost in regulation two straight games, San Jose list to Winnipeg and Dallas, after shutting out Calgary, took one on the chin against a Hawks team that has Cam Ward in net for the foreseeable future so that was a huge help for Edmonton as a Dallas win would put them on the outside looking in. Miny stayed 3 points back with their loss. Sure Van won and pulled in closer but as mentioned prior, they do have three GP more than Edmonton. It'll only matter if the Oilers won those three games in hand to stay above them. I was hoping for a St. Louis win to keep Van farther away but as I said last night, the Oilers treated that game like a preseason game for whatever reason...looking ahead, fatigue, broken give a shiz meter, regardless of whatever it was, it was two points left on the table.

Both Anaheim and San Jose are still very catchable for a divisional spot in my opinion so every regulation loss helps but in the end the only team that can help the Edmonton Oilers are the Edmonton Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anaheim lost in regulation two straight games, San Jose list to Winnipeg and Dallas, after shutting out Calgary, took one on the chin against a Hawks team that has Cam Ward in net for the foreseeable future so that was a huge help for Edmonton as a Dallas win would put them on the outside looking in. Miny stayed 3 points back with their loss. Sure Van won and pulled in closer but as mentioned prior, they do have three GP more than Edmonton. It'll only matter if the Oilers won those three games in hand to stay above them. I was hoping for a St. Louis win to keep Van farther away but as I said last night, the Oilers treated that game like a preseason game for whatever reason...looking ahead, fatigue, broken give a shiz meter, regardless of whatever it was, it was two points left on the table.

Both Anaheim and San Jose are still very catchable for a divisional spot in my opinion so every regulation loss helps but in the end the only team that can help the Edmonton Oilers are the Edmonton Oilers.

I think whats broken is the Oilers energy level. Too many games and too few players shouldering the load. The D injuries have had a slightly unintended effect. The Oilers have more trouble now not just dud to a lack of starting D but that the forwards have to work that much harder as part of 5 player units providing coverage and this is drawing a fair amount of energy left for offensive forays. Its a problem that isn't going away.

The biggest concern for me is we're riding the top 3 offensive players on this team so hard they have all buckled under the weight at least two times already this season. Like I said before Hitch should extend his concept of rest (he's making practice optional for RNH and giving him some days off) to McDrai. All 3 need every bit of rest they can get. McDrai also seeing more minutes so could use the rest more.

Reactions: McFuhryous

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They destroyed us earlier in the year but we have generally got our points back vs the top teams this year.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Thought that was the Oilers covering Talbot's glove side. :sarcasm:

Nah, this is the Oilers defense at it's best:

Screen-Shot-2014-10-02-at-10.27.11-PM.0.png

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think whats broken is the Oilers energy level. Too many games and too few players shouldering the load. The D injuries have had a slightly unintended effect. The Oilers have more trouble now not just dud to a lack of starting D but that the forwards have to work that much harder as part of 5 player units providing coverage and this is drawing a fair amount of energy left for offensive forays. Its a problem that isn't going away.

The biggest concern for me is we're riding the top 3 offensive players on this team so hard they have all buckled under the weight at least two times already this season. Like I said before Hitch should extend his concept of rest (he's making practice optional for RNH and giving him some days off) to McDrai. All 3 need every bit of rest they can get. McDrai also seeing more minutes so could use the rest more.

Yeah I think fatigue is the primary factor as well. Someone posted some crazy thing that they played 10 games in 18 days and were on a plane 7 or 8 times for those 10 games.

That would be tiring for a regular person, let alone a team of professional athletes. This is a nice and very welcomed break for the team with three days off, game, four days off, game.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I mistakenly read Eklund's list of his "best" players, can't unsee this now. I know I know its clickbait for the biggest audience.

#5. Nikita Kucherov
#4. Mikko Rantanan
#3. Connor McDavid
#2. Auston Matthews
#1. Sidney Crosby

6-10 would be VERY difficult, but this list is not that tough for me. Sid is still Sid and has simply proven himself to be the only guy on this list to win a Cup, A Gold Medal....basically every award available.

Were I to do 6-10....

#6 Malkin
#7 Ovechkin
#8 Tavares
#9 MacKinnon
#10 Scheifele

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad