Around the League 2018-19 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yes, I've been miserable in my personal life recently so getting something good from a hockey team is something. I'll take anything I can get! I'm sure lots of Oilers fans feeling good this year as well :)
I’m sorry you’re having a bad time.

Now go back to CP.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Everything about that team was unsustainable. Perron had 70 points, William Karlsson had 40 goals, Fleury was in the zone every night etc. I had them missing the playoffs this season.

Crazy thing was, Fleury played in 46 games last season. There was a time they were playing the 4th stringer due to the injuries their goalies all had and they were still winning hockey games.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Everything about that team was unsustainable. Perron had 70 points, William Karlsson had 40 goals, Fleury was in the zone every night etc. I had them missing the playoffs this season.

Dump it in and pound on their D, who are not the greatest puck movers in the NHL. Stopping the quick out and putting pressure on those D worked very well for Washington. Dont forget they lost their key FA and top C in Stastny to injury and their top D in Nate Schmidt is suspended for PEDs. They dont have that new team adrenaline going for them and teams also have a book on Vegas now, teams dont take them lightly anymore.

So combine that with Karlssons unsustainable shooting percentage and a lot of their forwards having career years last year, a step back is to be expected. They will be competitive and might take a WC spot as Anaheim doesn't look like they will have the horses to cross that finish line, and Vancouver should regress.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Just watched Hockey Central at Noon, pretty sure they didn’t mention the Oilers once. They started the show off talking about the Flames and Leafs and didn’t mention the Oilers shutout win at all.

In the past it bothered me when the Oilers weren’t getting any attention. This season I think it is a blessing because the team is gaining confidence without to much pressure. The Oilers could end up being better than they were in 2016-2017 and the way they are looking I would bet on it.

Reactions: NeverForget06

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Just watched Hockey Central at Noon, pretty sure they didn’t mention the Oilers once. They started the show off talking about the Flames and Leafs and didn’t mention the Oilers shutout win at all.

In the past it bothered me when the Oilers weren’t getting any attention. This season I think it is a blessing because the team is gaining confidence without to much pressure. The Oilers could end up being better than they were in 2016-2017 and the way they are looking I would bet on it.
Yup same thing on the TSN site. Lots of videos about Toronto's lack of secondary scoring, flames comeback win, even a video about Thomas Chabot being an "elite" defender. But no mention of Oilers other than their 60 second game highlights.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Lightning sign Yanni Gourde to a 6 year extension at $5.16M AAV. Not too bad for a little guy who was undrafted and started in the ECHL. 25 goals last year and a point per game player to start the year. Good deal for both sides I think though if he keeps producing it could be a steal of a deal for Tampa.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's wild how much fortunes can turn one season to the next.

The Knights make some sense right now.

They lost Perron and Neal and Schmidt who is their best dman is still out for being a cheater.

The Kings though... isn't this basically the same team as last year but with Kovalchuk added?

And the Ducks have lost what... 7 in a row?

The Pacific division looks ripe for the pickings this year.

California teams all looking old and slow and the Knights looking like a flash in the pan.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

They lost Perron and Neal and Schmidt who is their best dman is still out for being a cheater.

The Kings though... isn't this basically the same team as last year but with Kovalchuk added?

California teams all looking old and slow and the Knights looking like a flash in the pan.
for sure, it's crazy that the western canadian teams could capture the divisional spots up to this point, because the story there is that the other teams have crapped the bed. The western canadian teams haven't even been that good. We've been hot lately, but started really slow. Calgary is #1 right now and they've been all over the place.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Tim and Sid dove head first into the punch bowl full of Flames Kool-Aid today going on how awesome they are since the Pens beat them down.

Are people f***ing blind to how lucky and frankly, not that good of a team they are? Sure they are 3-0-1 since the Pens game but they are lucky to not be 0-4-0, 0-3-1, or 1-2-1.

They've scored twice to tie games late with less than 2 minutes and Colorado fell asleep last night. I looked at the scoring summaries for their last four games. They have had the lead for a whopping 20:34. In the past 240 minutes of hockey, that is all they've held a lead for. Edmonton practically doubled that in last night's game alone.

If the media isnt gagging on the Leafs, it's Calgary for some unknown reason.

Sorry, had to rant.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Colorado Avalanche clownshow last night. I think that club is pathetic personally, but because I like teams that can play their own end. Av;s give up 5 3rd period goals to the Flames in losing last night. Doesn't matter how many you score, if you can't defend to save your lives you're the Avalanche. A talented club never going anywhere.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Kings lost the script. Live I've said before every player on that team gave it their all just to get into the playoffs only to be swept in first round. There isn't a player on that team that thinks they still have what it takes. They've all given up, and Carter looks done since the terrible achilles heel injury. But the team is getting really old too. People forget they haven't had good draft picks in a long time and trying to load on guys like Kempe and Iafallo only gets you so far. The cap is crazy on that club. They just can't manage it or add much of anything to it.

That team went and org went all in for the cup wins and its a flawed payroll since. They held too long. Should have blown it up probably as early as 2016. This team was done when the Cocaine Blues hit it. When Stoll and other players were arrested and when Doughty and others let those guys take the fall. Doughty and Carter were both involved afairc. Voynov situation obviously hurt too. But that's a real damaged locker room. I guess its hard to have success in LA and not let it ruin you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->