Around the League 2018-19: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some speculation on TSN about the Stars led me to check them out for the first time in a while. The 'all offense, no defense' and ****ty goaltending Stars are now 2nd in the league in GA but also 3rd last in the league in GF. :huh: And they have managed to fix their 'unfixable' goaltending.

Fixed D, fixed goal, scoring disappeared. Crazy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stolarz is also a ufa unless he gets 10 more games where he plays 30 or more mins. He wasn't going to split starts in Philly so he was a UFA for them. Maybe gets those games in Edmonton.

Future considerations is a stand in for nothing. Per CBA it literally cannot be anything. You'll not see it when both teams give something.

Talbot has a track record of being a decent goalie, it's a bet on a return to form vs potential. And apparently Hart and Talbot are friends who train together, so a good chance Philly will be able to retain Talbot cheap. So basically trading an injury prone with questionable upside pending ufa for a veteran mentor who they have a good chance to re-sign who could rebound

OK, but I don't see why Philly wouldn't have given Stolarz the games to maintain his rights. Would help their tank, most likely.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stolarz is also a ufa unless he gets 10 more games where he plays 30 or more mins. He wasn't going to split starts in Philly so he was a UFA for them. Maybe gets those games in Edmonton.

Future considerations is a stand in for nothing. Per CBA it literally cannot be anything. You'll not see it when both teams give something.

Talbot has a track record of being a decent goalie, it's a bet on a return to form vs potential. And apparently Hart and Talbot are friends who train together, so a good chance Philly will be able to retain Talbot cheap. So basically trading an injury prone with questionable upside pending ufa for a veteran mentor who they have a good chance to re-sign who could rebound
Yup. That's bang on, I think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some speculation on TSN about the Stars led me to check them out for the first time in a while. The 'all offense, no defense' and ****ty goaltending Stars are now 2nd in the league in GA but also 3rd last in the league in GF. :huh: And they have managed to fix their 'unfixable' goaltending.

Fixed D, fixed goal, scoring disappeared. Crazy.
No depth. They are terrible at drafting.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No depth. They are terrible at drafting.

Yeah I know. But they still have most of the ones who made them so strong offensively just a couple of years ago.

They have had some success drafting D men, Klingberg, Lindell, Heiskanen and they have a few other prospects who may turn out well.

Their bottom 9 F's are not great but those D men are providing enough scoring that they should be better than they are. Nobody has stepped up to establish themselves as a 2nd line. Seguin and especially Benn have dropped off.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Draisaitl is having a monster year. McDavid effect or not, you don't amass that many goals and points without skill. is now top 3 in goals

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Watch out for the Blues they had no trouble with the Avs on the road 3-0 win

They are hot as hell right now. Thank god there is six weeks of the season left for them to wake up.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Frightening how good that team could be with some actual goaltending. I'd question whether their current burst of it is sustainable.

Has this ever happened before? A really good team that cant make it all the way because their goalie let them down?

It's more their elite offensive defensemen personnel than anything. They take the good with the bad. They control the play like crazy. DeBour is a great system coach.

But they still have Burns or Karlsson back there 80% of the game. If those two aren't limiting their own offense to use their skill set within the confines of the system, other teams are going to get free opportunities.

We have seen this here with Buff for years. Buff played exceptionally discipline in last years playoffs. And way better overall the last 2 or 3 years.

If Burns and Karlsson stay disciplined, look out. If they start freelancing too much, other teams will use it against them.

I wouldnt want to trust a team whose best scorers are offensive defensemen. Sorry, not sorry. We already took down one of those teams last year in our first playoff run.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
In case anyone missed Coach's Corner last night, here is a summary:

received_2114477318644795.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad