Around the League 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Little scrum near the benches where he mouthed off and then literally dove under Lucic to get away.

I think he is just tired of looking at Lucic's dopey $6M mug every day without any meaningful contribution.

So he goes "here, do this".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Might be interesting to compare standings this season with last season at this time....

2018 (2017)

Leafs 6-2 (6-1)
Blues 1-3-2 (6-2)
Vegas 3-4 (5-1)
Preds 5-1 (4-3)
Jets 4-2-1 (4-3)

Preds and Jets ahead of last year's pace. Leafs, Blues and Vegas behind last year's pace.

Reactions: SLAYER

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hutch steals the show in Panthers win over the Caps, after pulling the sieve Reimer, the Panthers went back to clutch sieve Hutch who managed to stop 10 of 11 shots for the win! What a goalie!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice: it's a new year, new team. You don't continue from where you left off last season

Nashville: hold my beer

That "its a new team" thing from Mau has grated on my nerves. There has been a little turnover, mostly at the bottom. That amount of turnover happens routinely through a season. Its no biggy. All the key players are the same.

It would be nice to see sometime if Mau had a team ready to hit the ground running coming out of TC.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That "its a new team" thing from Mau has grated on my nerves. There has been a little turnover, mostly at the bottom. That amount of turnover happens routinely through a season. Its no biggy. All the key players are the same.

It would be nice to see sometime if Mau had a team ready to hit the ground running coming out of TC.

Every season is different. Key players can remain but not necessarily be the same.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every season is different. Key players can remain but not necessarily be the same.

Of course every season is different. All players change a bit from year to year. That doesn't make it a 'new team'. We aren't talking about some key players here, or a few key players. We are talking about all the key players, unless you consider Armia, Hendricks, Enstrom and Matthias key players. In that case we are talking about almost all key players.

The only way it is a 'new team' is if the coach has decided to change the style or systems. Is Maurice trying to say that what we had last year worked too well so he decided to change things up? Somehow I don't think so. :sarcasm: His insistence on keeping his lines and D pairings as near as possible to exactly the same as last year seems to suggest that this is not a 'new team'. Is it identical to last year's team? Obviously not. Does every small change make it a 'new team'? If so, we have a new team every game.

You can disagree if you want. I found it an annoying thing for him to say. :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Don't know. How hard do you want them to run? If they were wired tight right now it becomes a very long season and impossible to sustain. And we might see them start fading when we need them to peak. For the most part the perennial contenders find a mid range groove and peak late season as they move into the playoffs. An amazingly high amount of cup winners end the season with 105 points or less.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't know. How hard do you want them to run? If they were wired tight right now it becomes a very long season and impossible to sustain. And we might see them start fading when we need them to peak. For the most part the perennial contenders find a mid range groove and peak late season as they move into the playoffs. An amazingly high amount of cup winners end the season with 105 points or less.

I agree. I don't mean that I want to peak with the opening game. But Mau's teams have tended to start poorly, relative to all the other teams at the start of the season. I don't just mean W's & L's. I mean not playing well in a variety of ways. One year it was exhausted from a 'man's camp'. Another year it was adjusting to new systems. Last year it was getting used to new teammates or new linemates. This year it is playoff hangover, or some damn thing. It seems that every year there is some reason why Mau's team isn't as ready as the rest of the league until a couple of weeks into the season. Maybe it seems that way to fans of most teams, IDK. Early season play is not up to par. It never is.

Something else he has said more than once lately is that players have to keep learning the same lessons over again. That is something I find in myself so it resonates with me. I think it is pretty normal, but worth stating. And that is a bit of what we are seeing this year. They are having to learn - again for the umpteenth time - that a game is 60 min long, for example.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They can knock themselves out and get their little banner(s). Didn't do them much good last time. I just want to see the Jets improve to be the best they can be at this point in time. If they do that they'll have a chance.
If not for the crazy penalty situation, I think the Jets actually played very well vs. the Preds. Once we get playoff Rinne to face, we should be fine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pekka Rinne injured last night and put on IR today. Guess we will see how Saros does now

IIRC I just saw a thread on the main boards somewhere about Preds negotiating on an extension for Rinne. Bad timing for Rinne.

Saros has always done very well in the past. They may not miss a beat.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. I don't mean that I want to peak with the opening game. But Mau's teams have tended to start poorly, relative to all the other teams at the start of the season. I don't just mean W's & L's. I mean not playing well in a variety of ways. One year it was exhausted from a 'man's camp'. Another year it was adjusting to new systems. Last year it was getting used to new teammates or new linemates. This year it is playoff hangover, or some damn thing. It seems that every year there is some reason why Mau's team isn't as ready as the rest of the league until a couple of weeks into the season. Maybe it seems that way to fans of most teams, IDK. Early season play is not up to par. It never is.

Something else he has said more than once lately is that players have to keep learning the same lessons over again. That is something I find in myself so it resonates with me. I think it is pretty normal, but worth stating. And that is a bit of what we are seeing this year. They are having to learn - again for the umpteenth time - that a game is 60 min long, for example.
And yet we are 7th in points percentage league wide at 5-2-1. We are doing what good teams use to do to us. Beat us with skill no matter how hard we tried. And you are right it feels that way to most fans of contenders that they are starting off slower than the ended the previous season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Just noticed the Blues only have one win so far :amazed: :D
(Although that will probably change in 20 mins)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Figures the games we want the Leafs to win they are getting worked...

I enjoy seeing the Leafs lose more. My friend the Leafs fan that was really laying it on thick about cup parades and Matthews is the next Mario Lemieux etc, I've enjoyed dishing it back to him the past few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad