Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The play I most remember was against the Penguins in the playoffs back in... umm... 92-ish? Laurie Boschman had the game tying goal disallowed because they said the goal went off his foot, when it actually went off his foot, then off his stick blade. I always felt like the league owed us an apology for that. I may have cost us the series.
I was at that game, I believe the Devils were down 4-1 at one point and that would have tied it up. We were up in the series 3-2 and the Pens won that game forcing a Game 7 in Pittsburgh and we got whipped.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Oh yeah! It was Pando. He actually scored, but not a soul on the ice even realized it.

Reminds me of the playoff in a Buffalo/Philly series in 2000 where a goal was scored through the side of the net and they counted it. Here is a clip of Bettman defending the officials where he compares going back and taking away the goal to as ludicrous as reviewing an offsides call.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It’s going to be ****ing divine when the Leafs’ cap situation bends them over this summer.

Their fans are certain that it will all go to plan, and that they won’t lose anyone significant.

It’d be rich to watch them walk back on their Nylander knob-slobbing, but I’m hoping they lose Marner. Hit them where it hurts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If the Leafs 'lose' anyone significant, it will be in a trade where they will get equal (or more) value. They're not trapped by having a bunch of awful contracts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Impressive value for the Canes given that Fox was going to go UFA in a few months. I assume Fox and the Rangers have connected and he'll now sign.

Somewhat similar back in the day to when Tim Erixon refused to sign with Calgary and basically forced a trade to the Rangers. Erixon wouldn't have been UFA but would had to re-enter the draft. There was thought that he'd go in the top 15 in 2011, possibly even crack the top 10. Calgary got a C tier prospect and picks #45 and #57. Calgary nearly drafted Nikita Kucherov with pick #57, but gambled that he'd be available at their next pick. Tampa snagged him at #58. Calgary then went their backup choice for their next pick with Johnny Gaudreau.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
God I hate the Rangers. Everything just comes so much easier to them.

Today they got Adam Fox, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time defenseman in the league.

They have Shestorkin, Kravtsov and Rykov on the way from Russia this summer.

They will get Kakko.

And they will probably end up with one of Panarin/Karlsson on July 1....

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
God I hate the Rangers. Everything just comes so much easier to them.

Today they got Adam Fox, one of the best players in the world outside the NHL and will be a big time defenseman in the league.

They have Shestorkin, Kravtsov and Rykov on the way from Russia this summer.

They will get Kakko.

And they will probably end up with one of Panarin/Karlsson on July 1....

And yet they've won 1 cup since WW2. Take a deep breath.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Teams with their backs firmly against the wall of the salary cap don’t get premiums for their young players they can’t pay.

It just doesn’t work that way.

The market functions roughly the same way whether or not a team is up against the salary cap. Teams that are not capped out want good young players.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Sucks the Rangers got Fox, but that seemed like it was going to be the case no matter what. Carolina got a good return with a high 2nd round pick this year and another potential 2nd round pick next year.

Have to wonder if Fox had any interest in going to any team beyond the Rangers.

On the positive side, this opens up a much more significant role for Walsh at Harvard next season which could be huge for his development.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Exactly.

Everything comes so much easier to them. Except for actual, tangible success.
I’m just excited for the mid 90’s rivalry to return since it’s good for area hockey. Hopefully we’ll get to see a winter classic between us and them within 2-3 years. I hate to say it, but I like what they’re doing over there.

Reactions: OmNomNom

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The market functions roughly the same way whether or not a team is up against the salary cap. Teams that are not capped out want good young players.

I understand what you’re saying. Where the Leafs stand currently, they have zero leverage. If they can derive some leverage by way of an intense bidding war, I’d tend to agree with you that their cap status won’t have much of an effect on the return. We’re not going to know until it happens, obviously.

My comments pertain more to the Leafs fans that are scoffing at a 2nd + small add for either guy. I think that’s more than fair (especially for Johnsson). Not a shot in hell they get the 1st round pick they’re seeking.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Unfortunately, I love what the Rangers are doing. However I think they will need to find an elite/franchise center at some point. Zibanejad is a low-end 1C / high-end 2C. Can Chytil be a 1C?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Unfortunately, I love what the Rangers are doing. However I think they will need to find an elite/franchise center at some point. Zibanejad is a low-end 1C / high-end 2C. Can Chytil be a 1C?

Kravtsov is their best bet for a stud Center, I think he's a top 6 C and can maybe be a 1C. Zib and Him as a 1/2 is solid but not extraordinary.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Kravtsov is their best bet for a stud Center, I think he's a top 6 C and can maybe be a 1C. Zib and Him as a 1/2 is solid but not extraordinary.

Kravtsov is a winger, plays both sides. Not a C.

I guess their best bet at a franchise C now is probably Kakko. He is a winger too, but can play center.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
What is with Harvard kids not wanting to sign with the teams that drafted them? Spoiled brats?

Vesey, Kerfoot and now Fox.

Let's hope Walsh doesn't go down that route.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Kravtsov is a winger, plays both sides. Not a C.

I guess their best bet at a franchise C now is probably Kakko. He is a winger too, but can play center.

Kakko is similar to Kravtsov, both play RW but can play center. Kravtsov played Center throughout the WJC so I would be surprised if they didnt try him at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad