Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
so apparently the nhl formally apologized to the golden knights? which i think is kind of bullshit and sets a weird precedent

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They were talking about it on Puck Soup on the new episode as a I rode in this morning, I agree that there are really two avenues that should take place for officials when it comes to goals now.

1. Ref signals goal when the puck crosses the line, Toronto has to confirm whether it's a good goal or not due to whatever other elements occurred.

2. Human error just becomes a natural part of the game again. What the ref decides on the ice goes.

Either way, no one is probably happy. :laugh: But no one is already happy to begin with. It's an odd spot to be in.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
kerry fraser was on chiclets a few weeks ago, and his talk on refs these days and the mistakes made are really interesting - especially his commentary on "the goal" between the blues and sabres

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
so apparently the nhl formally apologized to the golden knights? which i think is kind of bull**** and sets a weird precedent

Devils received an apology for a missed goal from the league. The league even did a press release.

This was during the low scoring era and the league phrased a part of their apology as “despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored” which reads like the league didn’t want goal scoring.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Devils received an apology for a missed goal from the league. The league even did a press release.

This was during the low scoring era and the league phrased a part of their apology as “despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored” which reads like the league didn’t want goal scoring.
The Devils also won that game despite the missed call.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

oh that’s interesting, i don’t remember that. goals are a little different though, every goal is reviewed by toronto to ensure its legitimate. if they missed it too (which i guess is what happened?) then yeah the league should have definitely apologized. with penalties, it’s really out of anybody’s hands but the refs. i honestly don’t remember that happening before. and even further still, this wasn’t a blatant high stick or boarding call that was missed by the refs- i could almost see the league apologizing under those circumstances. this was a penalty that was called, and the league came out and officially walked it back. serious question, has that ever happened before?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hah I remember that now, it was Game 3 or 4 against Ottawa in 2003, think it was Brylin who had the goal wiped off.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I remember that play. I was at that game and I was sitting on that side of the ice.
The play I most remember was against the Penguins in the playoffs back in... umm... 92-ish? Laurie Boschman had the game tying goal disallowed because they said the goal went off his foot, when it actually went off his foot, then off his stick blade. I always felt like the league owed us an apology for that. I may have cost us the series.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Rangers are rebuilding nicely. Might be unpopular, butI like when there’s juice to the Devils-Rangers rivalry. I look forward to Hughes-Kakko battles in the playoffs.

Reactions: mdj12784

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Laurie Boschman had the game tying goal disallowed because they said the goal went off his foot, when it actually went off his foot, then off his stick blade. I always felt like the league owed us an apology for that. I may have cost us the series.

Wow, I had completely forgot about that.

I remember being completely fan irate.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Rangers are rebuilding nicely. Might be unpopular, butI like when there’s juice to the Devils-Rangers rivalry. I look forward to Hughes-Kakko battles in the playoffs.

Their D core (even with this move) is all over the place. Skjei randomly eliminating his offensive game but being solid defensively, they basically have the same player in Deangelo/Pionk/Fox, and they have some bad contracts on aging players they overpaid in the first place with Staal/Smith/Shattenkirk. I like Fox, Deangelo looked better but i still dont trust him and Skjei is a decent second pair guy. Not much to build around on the back end and the goalie situation looks good but you never know until they play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad