Around the League 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yzerman to Detroit as GM was only the most predictable move of the offseason.

And only about 60 hours after Tampa was eliminated.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Will take whatever gives me less Pierre, Milbury, and Roenick. Thanks.
If ESPN got the NHL over NBC, I'm sure they'd move some of those personalities over to ESPN. Since NBC wouldn't be doing the NHL any longer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I love what he built in Tampa. That’s bad news for anyone fighting without Detroit. Their turn around will be fast.
I don't know. There's A LOT of deadweight to clear there. Like that STUPID Abdelkader contract. I remember when people argued a few years ago that it wasn't that bad of a contract.

I feel like they're in a similar position to where we were when Lou left, but they do have a bit more young talent than we did.

It will also be interesting to see if some other team axes their GM to hire Ken Holland before the offseason is over. Much like after Lou stepped down and was hired a couple months later to be the GM by the Maple Leafs. Vancouver has already been rumored to want Holland for over a year now. They'd be wise to stay away, even though Benning has been awful in UFA.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
In fairness though espn did have a right to lowball the nhl before they left. Coming off a lost season? Two work stoppages in what 10 years? Then they leave for the outdoor network? Just goes to show you how much interest was in the nhl back then.

Now espn doesn’t carry the weight it use to but you can’t deny the name recognition it gives.

Not to mention it had Gary throne calling the games and he rocks
That's actually the most ringing endorsement of Bettman I've ever read.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
lol yeah because Pierre is much better? Guess people forgot the tracking technology from the allstar game nbc threw up there.

Maybe I’m a rare type of person but I don’t care who calls the game I will sit and watch it if I want to then when it’s over I turn it off. Announcers don’t make the game better or worse for me.
I'm quite happy with NBC's coverage and promotion of the game. Pierre may be a goof, but he's very passionate and quite knowledgeable about the game.

And I imagine you are in the minority in regards to the play-by-play guy on a Devils board. Doc is a national treasure.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know. There's A LOT of deadweight to clear there. Like that STUPID Abdelkader contract. I remember when people argued a few years ago that it wasn't that bad of a contract.

I feel like they're in a similar position to where we were when Lou left, but they do have a bit more young talent than we did.

They're in far worse position than we ever were, because of all their stupid long-term contracts on the books for older players. Our only crappy long-term deals were Camm (as it turned out, cause he was bought out with two years left and washed out of the league) and Clowe who didn't really hurt us capwise anyway, at least we had a relatively clean slate capwise. Of course we didn't have Larkin either - which is actually kind of Lou's fault - or a couple of their other forwards but other than that they're barren with roadblocks.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i know why they do the color jerseys for home in the regular season. you would think though the nhl could go back to home whites for the playoffs and just eliminate if they don't already having teams wear third jerseys in the playoffs.

would make more sense to then do a white out if your home team is in white

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
shame he should never have left after his stint with the rangers. he would've gotten to the great one for sure
He probably would not have played in the NHL through 2018 if he had stayed in the NHL between 2008-2011 though. He may have broken down earlier. Maybe he would have retired from the NHL by 2014 or 2015 or so. His game may not have been as impactful by 2014 or that first season he played for us.

I think he's on record as saying his body needed the break for those 3 years and he wouldn't have held up all these recent years in the NHL that he did, if he hadn't left for the KHL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol Jagr seriously went to a second-division team in the Czech league to help get them promoted? Talk about playing for the love of the game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
lol Jagr seriously went to a second-division team in the Czech league to help get them promoted? Talk about playing for the love of the game.

I think it was for Jagr's hometown team. If I recall correctly, Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg did something similar towards the end of their careers (albeit not nearly the same age as Jagr) to help their hometown club stay out of relegation.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it was for Jagr's hometown team. If I recall correctly, Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg did something similar towards the end of their careers (albeit not nearly the same age as Jagr) to help their hometown club stay out of relegation.
Doesn't Jagr own the team? I thought he did.

Reactions: Darkauron

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
who was the one who was clammoring for the Devils to give Wayne Simmonds a long-term contract this summer....?

He had 3 points in 19 games in Nashville.

YIKES.

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
who was the one who was clammoring for the Devils to give Wayne Simmonds a long-term contract this summer....?

YIKES.

I had suggested we give him a one or two year deal. Given our flexibility we can offer 2.5m per year (for 2 year) or 3.5m (for 1 year). Based on his performance that feels generous and maybe you incentive load it as well. I think he would be a good addition for the 4th line and add some physicality to our lineup which is missing and the bonus is that he could slot in at the front of the PP1 or PP2.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

YIKES.

I was because I think we need someone with a set of balls in our lineup and he's a right winger, another one of our glaring need. I was probably wrong since he looks to be slowing down.

On the other hand, you were the main cheerleader for Kevin Shattenkirk, so yeah... I guess the score is tied lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shattenkirk had close to 30 points on a terrible team.

He also only has 2 more years left on his current deal so I'd hardly call that a horrendous contract. Signing Simmonds to a longterm deal at this point would be a horrendous contract.

Reactions: Darkauron

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
seriously fantastic game between Vegas and the Sharks last night...

Any thoughts on the 5minute major to Eakin?

I get the cross check in the chest is a penalty but it looked like the 5min major was just bad luck of the aftermath of Pavelski being off-balance?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I get the cross check in the chest is a penalty but it looked like the 5min major was just bad luck of the aftermath of Pavelski being off-balance?

it was a bullshit call, i think anyone would agree with that. but when that happens, you can’t give up 4 powerplay goals and expect to win a game 7.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Take a look at the last three pages of the OOT thread, it's being vigorously debated there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad