Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If it's a choice between Duchene and Stone, who do you guys pick?

Though I'd be surprised if we were an option for either without excessive over-payment.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

Though I'd be surprised if we were an option for either without excessive over-payment.

yes

and we can overpay. if their value is at least 80% return for what we pay than its a huge win

we have no one in our farm with their ceiling

its a crap shoot drafting someone with their ceiling then having to wait 4 seasons to blossom

we would have to give up serious assets to obtain similar players

Reactions: Oneiro

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Stone easily. It's not even close in my mind. I'm not comfortable offering Duchene anything more than 8Mx 7 years (and even that is an overpay in my book), but I'd give Stone 9M/year. Same with Panarin. I'd take either of them over Duchene any day of the week, even if it means paying them more.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Duchene just isn't worth 9M or whatever he'll get. It also sets a bad precedent as we'll then have to pay Hall 10M+ and there goes the cap. I'd even prefer a Hayes type signing for Duchene. He's going to get superstar money and he clearly isn't a superstar.
With Duchene you know what you get, but I'm not so sure about Hayes. The last thing the Devils should do is to sign overpriced contract with a second tier player. There are just too many examples where the teams have made those kinds of contracts with Neal, Backes, Bozak, Hanzal, Okposo, Eriksson, Nielsen, Ladd etc.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
With Duchene you know what you get, but I'm not so sure about Hayes. The last thing the Devils should do is to sign overpriced contract with a second tier player. There are just too many examples where the teams have made those kinds of contracts with Neal, Backes, Bozak, Hanzal, Okposo, Eriksson, Nielsen, Ladd etc.

Duchene is a 2nd tier player though. The guys you list (and Hayes as well) are what I'd call 3rd tier. But Duchene is sort of the classic 2nd tier player teams get burned on (examples would be Vanek or Bobby Ryan). I think there's a very high chance Duchene's next contract becomes a massive anchor real quick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I'd go with Stone. He's a bit younger and his two way game would be a big help. I've never really been a Duchene fan either.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
he might get current superstar contract money but that would be no where near what a superstar would get on an open market. inflation is going to be high. how much is the cap expanding?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Stone easily. It's not even close in my mind. I'm not comfortable offering Duchene anything more than 8Mx 7 years (and even that is an overpay in my book), but I'd give Stone 9M/year. Same with Panarin. I'd take either of them over Duchene any day of the week, even if it means paying them more.
Yeah, Stone is easily a better player, so I would pick him. On the other hand the Devils really need a second line center.

Just a humble wish: let's win the draft lottery, and then we can draft Hughes and sign with Stone or draft Kakko and sign with Duchene. :sarcasm:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Duchene is a 2nd tier player though. The guys you list (and Hayes as well) are what I'd call 3rd tier. But Duchene is sort of the classic 2nd tier player teams get burned on (examples would be Vanek or Bobby Ryan). I think there's a very high chance Duchene's next contract becomes a massive anchor real quick.
Yeah, Duchene might be a 2nd tier player if those other guys are 3rd tier players. However, I really doubt that his contract becomes a massive anchor real quick.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Yeah, Stone is easily a better player, so I would pick him. On the other the Devils really need a second line center.

Just a humble wish: let's win the draft lottery, and then we can draft Hughes and sign with Stone or draft Kakko and sign with Duchene. :sarcasm:

I think the need for a 2C is overblown. We just need a driver on the 2nd line. Nico can't really drive the 1st line quite yet so as long as Hall is with Nico on the 1st line we have a big hole on the second line. If we add either Stone or Panarin they create a situation where we can have a play-driver on each of our top 2 lines.

Hall-Nico-Palms
Panarin-Zacha-Bratt
or
Bratt-Nico-Stone
Hall-Zacha-Palms

Both of the above combinations would be fine and probably a lot better than something like...
Hall-Nico-Palms
Bratt-Duchene-XYZ

Edit: I will also go out on a limb and say that adding another elite winger like Stone or Panarin would even make it easy enough to play Coleman at 2C. I'd prefer to stick with Zacha and hope he figures it out with better line-mates, but Coleman has shown he has serious game and I think he'd look real good, especially playing next to a playmaker of Panarin's caliber.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the need for a 2C is overblown. We just need a driver on the 2nd line. Nico can't really drive the 1st line quite yet so as long as Hall is with Nico on the 1st line we have a big hole on the second line. If we add either Stone or Panarin they create a situation where we can have a play-driver on each of our top 2 lines.

Hall-Nico-Palms
Panarin-Zacha-Bratt
or
Bratt-Nico-Stone
Hall-Zacha-Palms

Both of the above combinations would be fine and probably a lot better than something like...
Hall-Nico-Palms
Bratt-Duchene-XYZ

false. Totally false. 2C is a huge need.

Reactions: Verdoux

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Hall-Nico-Palms
Panarin-Zacha-Bratt
or
Bratt-Nico-Stone
Hall-Zacha-Palms

Hall-Nico-Palms
Bratt-Duchene-XYZ
I would love Panarin, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be a second line winger behind Hall. It wouldn't be a particularly good sales pitch if Shero said for Panarin that in the Devils you can play with our star center Pavel Zacha.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think a lot this summer depends on who we draft. Taylor Hall is a huge part of the team, but forget about his prime. If and when we're a serious team, it will be Nico, Bratt and whoever else of that age group or younger in the driver's seat.

That's 3-4 years from now.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think a lot this summer depends on who we draft. Taylor Hall is a huge part of the team, but forget about his prime. If and when we're a serious team, it will be Nico, Bratt and whoever else of that age group or younger in the driver's seat.

That's 3-4 years from now.

We’re a year removed from picking 1st overall and then making the playoffs.

Earlier this decade, we went from embarrassing ourselves and missing the playoffs, to reaching the Finals the following year.

Can we please stop slapping arbitrary timelines on everything? So much can change in this league, in so little time.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Duchene has found another gear this year. Scoring at over a ppg clip and has looked awesome everytime I have watched him play. He's playing like a 1C this season, if we sign him it will be Nico getting demoted to the 2nd line.

Something tells me we are all going to be disappointed again this offseason when Shero is unable to lure any of the big FA's to the Devils.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Duchene has found another gear this year. Scoring at over a ppg clip and has looked awesome everytime I have watched him play. He's playing like a 1C this season, if we sign him it will be Nico getting demoted to the 2nd line.

Something tells me we are all going to be disappointed again this offseason when Shero is unable to lure any of the big FA's to the Devils.

I mean most "big FAs" don't actually get to UFA. There are talks that Duchene and Stone have already been offered deals.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I'd want Stone but Duchene fills more of a need at 1/2C than a RW. Why not both lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->