Around The League 2018-19 IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So ottawa offered 8x8 to Duchene. He most likely gets 9+ in the market. Do we still chase ?

I figure we chase.

Although it is against what Shero has said in regards to his long term plan, I think this season will jolt him to action.

And if Shero is jolted to action, I'd rather he go after a guy like Duchene, who would be a significant upgrade, and would be an above average #2 C,(thus filling a major need), then go after a guy like de Haan, (or another mid pairing d-man), who is maybe a marginal upgrade, but is in no way an above average top pairing d-man, which is our true need.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
So ottawa offered 8x8 to Duchene. He most likely gets 9+ in the market. Do we still chase ?

I don't really want anything to do with paying Matt Duchene 9M/year.

If we really want to go after a C I'd call Chia and try to cut a deal for Draisaitl.
Something like Butcher/Severson + Palms + Wood for Drai. Hell we could even work out a different package for Drai+Lucic since we have so much cap space.

If we manage to get Drai and I'm Shero I'd then sit down with Hall and get a real quick idea of if he'll sign and for what cap hit. If he wants a ton of money or isn't certain I'd call a team like WPG or Col and ship Hall out. If it's pre trade deadline I could see sending Hall to WPG for Trouba+ or getting Makar+ from Col.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

If we really want to go after a C I'd call Chia and try to cut a deal for Draisaitl.
Something like Butcher/Severson + Palms + Wood for Drai. Hell we could even work out a different package for Drai+Lucic since we have so much cap space.

If we manage to get Drai and I'm Shero I'd then sit down with Hall and get a real quick idea of if he'll sign and for what cap hit. If he wants a ton of money or isn't certain I'd call a team like WPG or Col and ship Hall out. If it's pre trade deadline I could see sending Hall to WPG for Trouba+ or getting Makar+ from Col.

yeah that isn't happening my man

and other teams would offer way more

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I would of taken Strome over Zacha even before the trade to Chicago.

You could see the talent, he just needed the opportunity.

Would also take Puljujärvi over Zacha too.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Even he has passed Zacha in the production department.

16 pts in 25 games with Chicago.

22 in 45 games on the season.

Definitely

Strome up to 19 points in 26 games in Chicago

Maybe Crouse is worse than PZ but that's it amongst forwards.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Here's my argument for signing Duchene.

We have a #1 C. We need a #2, and Duchene can clearly handle that role. That might be an over pay for a #2, but he'd be a very good #2(and it could be argued that he'd be the #1, but that is an aside).

This would not be going out and signing a de Haan type of player and asking him to be a top pair guy, which would almost surely lead to dissappoitment.

It would also strengthen the bottom 6 by moving Zacha down the line.

I think Nico Duchene Zajac Zacha down the middle, would top to bottom, be as good as any teams center depth in the league.

Edit: and in terms of either Draisatl or Duchene? I'd prefer to just pay Duchene then trade for and pay Draisatl.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would of taken Strome over Zacha even before the trade to Chicago.

You could see the talent
, he just needed the opportunity.

Would also take Puljujärvi over Zacha too.

I think you can see the talent with Zacha. Just not the production. I haven't watched much of Strome but he is a guy who has put up monster points at all stops.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Just so I am being clear

you wouldn't trade that package for Draisaitl? I absolutely would. Edmonton never would.

forget the Lucic part of it, I agree want no part of that

i would not give up that package for anything less than a bonafide top pairing defenseman. and even then i’m not sure. losing palms would be a tremendous blow

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i would not give up that package for anything less than a bonafide top pairing defenseman. and even then i’m not sure. losing palms would be a tremendous blow

Look, I know we need DMen. But having a center duo of Draisaitl + Nico would put us in a tremendous position for the next 10+ years. Draisaitl just turned 23 and is basically a ppg player

Top centers are more important than top DMen IMO.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Look, I know we need DMen. But having a center duo of Draisaitl + Nico would put us in a tremendous position for the next 10+ years. Draisaitl just turned 23 and is basically a ppg player

I agree. Unless we're getting Hedman I'm not really interested in trading that package for anything less than a 1C. I'd probably even add to the package I proposed to get a player of Drai's caliber, but the main pieces that we can offer Edmonton are Palms, one of Butcher/Severson, and some depth like Wood. You can also swap Butcher/Severson for Vatanen, but I doubt they'd want him due to him needing a new contract soon.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

yeah he’s a really good player no doubt. but we could (and likely will) be in a position to draft another future top 6 center in a few months. i’m also ok with signing duchene/nelson (if there is mutual interest of course) this summer. giving up one of our most valuable assets in that kind of package is a no go for me unless we’re getting a top 2 d back

edit...interesting fact- palms and drai have an identical career goals per game average of .31 (while drai has a slight career points per game advantage, .8 to .6). that doesn’t move the needle enough for me especially when we’re losing wood and butcher. hard pass

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
yeah he’s a really good player no doubt. but we could (and likely will) be in a position to draft another future top 6 center in a few months. i’m also ok with signing duchene/nelson (if there is mutual interest of course) this summer. giving up one of our most valuable assets in that kind of package is a no go for me unless we’re getting a top 2 d back

I really don't get this obsession with Duchene- he's a good 2c, but nowhere near what I'd call an elite 1C. He will get paid a stupid amount, and is already in the last years of his prime. Giving him 9 mil for 7 years has the potential to literally look bad from day 1. I'd prefer we not overpay a FA and if we do Duchene is the one I'm least interested in. He may serve a need, but adding him will not make us a legit SC contender and will only screw us capwise. If we think we're one FA signing away from contending that player would be EK.
I'd also much rather throw money at Stone/Panarin than Duchene. Both are younger, have produced better, and are what I'd call a safer bet. Stone is a great character guy who is big and plays with a lot of fire and would really help this team that is lacking in leadership and Panarin is a wizard who can drive our 2nd line and solve a lot of the issues we have with not having a true 2C.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
we'd need to sign 2 players to Duchene type contracts to even be in the consideration to be "screwed" capwise

we can easily afford to pay Duchene (or any top free agent) and probably another lesser player with the money that is coming off the books from Boyle, Lovejoy, and Johansson alone. That doesn't even dig into our current cap space that we have at this moment.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
we'd need to sign 2 players to Duchene type contracts to even be in the consideration to be "screwed" capwise

we can easily afford to pay Duchene (or any top free agent) and probably another lesser player with the money that is coming off the books from Boyle, Lovejoy, and Johansson alone. That doesn't even dig into our current cap space that we have at this moment.

Duchene just isn't worth 9M or whatever he'll get. It also sets a bad precedent as we'll then have to pay Hall 10M+ and there goes the cap. I'd even prefer a Hayes type signing for Duchene. He's going to get superstar money and he clearly isn't a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad