Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A few weeks back, I was going back and forth with a Wild poster on the trade board, and he offered Johansson for Niederreiter straight up.

I'd do that trade without hesitation. Helps Minnesota in the way PIT helped LA here, as the Wild afford themselves cap flexibility by getting out from underneath the long-term commitment to Nino.

at this point I would be thrilled with that return

collect all the Swiss!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
A few weeks back, I was going back and forth with a Wild poster on the trade board, and he offered Johansson for Niederreiter straight up.

I'd do that trade without hesitation. Helps Minnesota in the way PIT helped LA here, as the Wild afford themselves cap flexibility by getting out from underneath the long-term commitment to Nino.

i’m really surprised a wild fan would be ok with that trade...i’d bet his opinions are not generally well received by his peers over there

Reactions: mtnet

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Paul Martin retired today.

Decent career. I recall when he was drafted people thought he'd be a truly offensive defenseman, but that never really happened.

Reactions: Billdo

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am shocked by the “parity” of the league. I think between the cap and Vegas being added talent has spread thin. Only a few teams are Stacked. It nuts that the Devils (currently last) are a bushel of points from first with one to two games in hand on teams. They need to change the point system.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow, I didn't realize Hagelin only has 17 goals in his last 158 games. At least he's fast I guess.

I'd be curious if anybody's done any studies on performance drop offs with extended playoff runs. Between 2014-2017, Hagelin played in 83 playoff games. Take somebody like Michael Grabner (first name that came to mind as a comparable) who played only 14 over the same span.

While the Kings/Blackhawks gradually lost their championship depth, they also had some tough miles put on their core.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I am shocked by the “parity” of the league. I think between the cap and Vegas being added talent has spread thin. Only a few teams are Stacked. It nuts that the Devils (currently last) are a bushel of points from first with one to two games in hand on teams. They need to change the point system.

The league wants that. Why would you want to change the system to allow teams to run away with it? Everyone will still have a chance as the system is built now. Makes the season more competitive all around.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The league wants that. Why would you want to change the system to allow teams to run away with it? Everyone will still have a chance as the system is built now. Makes the season more competitive all around.

Fanbases think they have a playoff chance later into the season

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

This. It's about $$$$ and television ratings.

More fanbases buying tickets later into the season. More fans watching hockey games on TV later into the season.

Dont expect the "loser point" to go away, ever.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
paul charmin huh….

..im still choosing colin white over him for an all time devils lineup
179605fd8940642f1903a9b77b84957d.png

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Whitey was a good defenseman here for some 6-7 years. Really solid. Better than the grossly overrated Adam Foote. Whitey from 2000-2007 was a really solid defender for a guy that could never skate and didn’t have much offensive game to speak of. White from 2007-2011 ranged from poor to eventually very awful. The eye injury ruined him. His lack of speed was going to cause an earlier demise but he could have been pretty decent until 34-35 if he hadn’t had that injury. He had excellent vision and hockey smarts. Marts was much more talented than Whitey but I don’t see him as ranking ahead of Whitey on the all-time NJD list because he played more of his career elsewhere and I just don’t see him as an all-time Devil.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

While I agree that's what the league is thinking, the counter argument is maybe hockey will never be more than a niche sport if you don't have villains and superteams to promote like the NBA. As much as people complain about no parity it doesn't seem to hurt the ratings in that sport. Even the NFL, the supposed paragon of parity has the Darth Vader up in New England to drive coverage and before that had other dynasties in Dallas, SF, Pittsburgh, etc.

Reactions: Scorcho

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
While I agree that's what the league is thinking, the counter argument is maybe hockey will never be more than a niche sport if you don't have villains and superteams to promote like the NBA. As much as people complain about no parity it doesn't seem to hurt the ratings in that sport. Even the NFL, the supposed paragon of parity has the Darth Vader up in New England to drive coverage and before that had other dynasties in Dallas, SF, Pittsburgh, etc.

The sports are fundamentally different. Football has an enormous advantage in that there are only 16 games so almost all of them are interesting to someone, even apart from gambling concerns. Basketball is going to lend itself to superteams because of the nature of the game - basketball is just a much higher skill game than hockey, the team that's more skilled wins more often, and this is reflected in the standings.

Hockey maybe hasn't tried very hard, but they haven't been able to get the regular American sports fan interested in a game that doesn't involve their team. I doubt they ever will.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Whitey was a good defenseman here for some 6-7 years. Really solid. Better than the grossly overrated Adam Foote. Whitey from 2000-2007 was a really solid defender for a guy that could never skate and didn’t have much offensive game to speak of. White from 2007-2011 ranged from poor to eventually very awful. The eye injury ruined him.

Niclas Bergfors; first round bust, impedes great Devils defenseman's career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->