Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Typical home cooking at Stapler. Refs should just throw it in the net with all the favoritism.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I especially like the part where Quick swings his stick out of frustration at an opposing forward behind the net, leaving him susceptible to the perfectly executed cross-ice pass that leads to a goal.
They handed out some really long contracts and stopped drafting well after those cups. Could get ugly.

I don't think Rob Blake has a clue what to do

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
They handed out some really long contracts and stopped drafting well after those cups. Could get ugly.

I don't think Rob Blake has a clue what to do

Yep, the only thing that scares me is that the Kings actually look like a player for Hughes/Lafreniere over the next couple seasons. I do not want them ending up with a top talent. Otherwise, they look old, tired and stale.

I love that Robitaille has seemingly orchestrated his own Boys Club up the 5. Blake seems to be struggling to get acclimated in every other area that's not signing high-profile college free agents; I would have thought he would have at least re-tooled and moved some of the guys from their Cup run out.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yep, the only thing that scares me is that the Kings actually look like a player for Hughes/Lafreniere over the next couple seasons. I do not want them ending up with a top talent. Otherwise, they look old, tired and stale.

I love that Robitaille has seemingly orchestrated his own Boys Club up the 5. Blake seems to be struggling to get acclimated in every other area that's not signing high-profile college free agents; I would have thought he would have at least re-tooled and moved some of the guys from their Cup run out.
I don't see them being worse than Detroit or Ottawa over the whole season, but crazier things have happened.

I find it very strange that they haven't traded any of Martinez/Muzzin/Toffoli/Pearson. It's like they are trying to hang on to the glory days until they all retire or something. Really strange. This will probably be the year where they start to tear it down

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
While I normally enjoy watching the Kings lose, last night their performance was so pathetic that I eventually turned off the game. I think that the fans who paid money to see that game should get their money back. That was not professional hockey. I expect in the long run that the Kings will be significantly better than what they showed last night. But the way they played without Kopitar made me feel very much better about the way that the Ducks have played without Getzlaf

Reactions: duxfan1101
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
While I normally enjoy watching the Kings lose, last night their performance was so pathetic that I eventually turned off the game. I think that the fans who paid money to see that game should get their money back. That was not professional hockey. I expect in the long run that the Kings will be significantly better than what they showed last night. But the way they played without Kopitar made me feel very much better about the way that the Ducks have played without Getzlaf
Is Kopitar hurt?

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
The post game interview of Stevens was a ride, everyone but him got thrown under the bus. I thought Yeo would be the first to go, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i knew the kings would take a step back this season but giving up 7 goals to this current isles team playing on the second night of a back to back?

ouch

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
eh, people have BG's honestly if it ewren't for gibby we probably would've given up 7+ in dallas just in thta 2nd period

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Yeah, with our performances I wouldn't gloat too much. Gibson is really keeping us afloat.

But this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The Kings have relied entirely on Quick the last few years and quite frankly Quick was never going to recover his cup winning form. Anyone who expected that to happen was fooling themselves. He just won't, he's getting too old. For a goalie whose style relies so much on pure athleticism, his best years were always going to be his younger years.

And yes, before you bring it up Hasek is a weird outlier, and I have no idea how he managed to keep that up. We can only praise our luck that Quick isn't Hasek's second coming because a dominant Quick was a terrifying thing to witness.

Reactions: Exit Dose

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I hold a grudge on the Oilers since Brian Burke's days, when even while sucking, Edmonton fans were so arrogant to say that their management was bright and they were going to have a great future, trusting completely Kevin Lowe and pissing on BB... LMAO! The Schultz backstabbing signing and subsequent fiasco was the cherry on top.

Edit: BM for BB, was I drunk?

There are a lot of reasons why I can't stand that franchise.

Oiler fans went on and on about Burke taking advantage of Lowe at the 2006 NHL draft when he knew Lowe was forced into a corner because Pronger was demanding a trade. They made it sound like Burke approached Lowe with a low-ball offer because he knew Pronger refused to play in Edmonton. 1) Lowe approached Burke, not the other way around; 2) Anaheim was one of a few teams Lowe approached; 3) Lowe could have said no to Burke and he could have taken one of the other team's offer; 4) so, Burke is supposed to feel sorry for Lowe, and turn down an offer to trade for one of the best defensemen in the NHL? 5) Burke actually did do the Oilers a favor by turning one of the draft picks into a conditional pick which turned into a first-round draft choice when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup. He didn't have to do this.

Lowe also offer-sheeted Dustin Penner.

They got so many #1 picks recently that they didn't deserve when the Ducks have never had a #1 overall pick in their entire history.

The Schultz signing was just another reason to hate that franchise.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
What am I missing with Tuch?
Vegas seemingly have a model of signing young RFA's to expensive deals in the present time but hoping the young players develop enough that it will be cheap in 3-4 years time. The bridge deal seems completely out of fashion right now - even for RFA's that aren't close to being top young players, pretty strange if you ask me.

It's either going to work out well for them or put them in cap hell.

Reactions: Boogernaut

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Ah, the Kings with an afternoon matinee, which they seemingly never perform well in. Thanks LeBron (no reverse jinx, plz).

Also, Ullmark starting today, so we'll be getting Hutton tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad