Around the League, 2018-19 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Unfortunately watching McDavid play on that team reminds me of watching Trout play for the Angels

This. I've hated the Oilers for a long long time but ever since McDavid joined the league, I've found myself hoping they do well.

It's annoying they landed him but we're being robbed of watching greatness because of the ineptness of that organization.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
When I feel down about the Ducks, I watch the Oilers and I feel relieved and much much better.

It has been brought up here in this thread before, but it bears repeating: it's amazing how ass the Oilers wingers are. The Ducks being down Silfverberg/Kase/Perry/Eaves/Ritchie (for the time being) and yet me thinking that they're within shouting distance of Edmonton's depth at full strength should be a vote of no confidence for Chiarelli on it's own.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
McDavid almost singlehandedly brings the Oilers back from a 4-1 deficit against the Jets. Edmonton has scored 9 goals this year and McDavid has 9 points. He creates something every time he has the puck, really a treat to watch.

Reactions: Paul4587

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
He really may be the most fun player in the league to watch.

Amazing how the once legendary franchise looks now........as annoying as our playoff series with Edmonton was, their fans deserve better than the mess they have

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
McDavid almost singlehandedly brings the Oilers back from a 4-1 deficit against the Jets. Edmonton has scored 9 goals this year and McDavid has 9 points. He creates something every time he has the puck, really a treat to watch.
Yeah starting to think it’s pretty likely he ends up better than Crosby. Especially if he can stay healthy

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah starting to think it’s pretty likely he ends up better than Crosby. Especially if he can stay healthy

I think it depends how well his speed holds up. He can’t play the grinding game the way Crosby does and doesn’t strike me as having that insane work ethic Sid has that has helped him age well so far. He’s more naturally talented though and is better than Sid was at the same age.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think it depends how well his speed holds up. He can’t play the grinding game the way Crosby does and doesn’t strike me as having that insane work ethic Sid has that has helped him age well so far. He’s more naturally talented though and is better than Sid was at the same age.
Will depend on aging and injuries for sure. I’ve just never seen Sid do some of the things I see from McDavid...and it really does feel like Mcdavid will still get better

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Will depend on aging and injuries for sure. I’ve just never seen Sid do some of the things I see from McDavid...and it really does feel like Mcdavid will still get better

Yeah agreed. I think McDavid will have him beat for a better peak definitely. I wonder if the Oilers continue to suck in the foreseeable future if he tries to get out of there and win something.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Quite a turnaround yesterday night. McDavid is really a generational talent, just like the Oilers are a generational dumpster fire, going on for 10+ years.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's not that surprising how terrible the Oilers wingers are given how terribly they have managed the cap / evaluated talent. As an example: their defence costs 24.5m (including Sekera on LTIR) while Anaheim's costs 22m and you could easily argue not a single Edmonton defenceman even makes Anaheim's top 4 - since they can't draft defencemen to save their lives they've had to massively overpay just to get average defencemen to play there even a defenceman like Larsson who they still had his RFA rights got over 4m a year and he's a #3 at absolute best. They also have 32m or so tied up in 5 centers (21m of that in McD/Drai) and one of them in the form of RNH is trying to be shoehorned into a wing role that he isn't suited for imo.

It's only going to get worse next season as they'll only have 11.5m in cap space with 31 players signed - and they need to sign 2 NHL calibre goaltenders as all 3 of their current ones are UFA's to be.

In a way, the McDavid contract is a no win situation for them - you can't afford not to sign him given he's the best player in the NHL but given the Oilers terrible cap management they've basically signed away their chances of being competitive until 2021 at the earliest (when likes of RNH/Sekera/Russel contracts expire) by extending McDavid.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ovechkin is a one trick pony but man it’s one hell of a trick.

I thought this could be the year he started slowing down. Doesn’t appear to be the case.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I love that McDavid is toiling away fruitlessly on a garbage team. It makes the Oilers plight that much sweeter to me.

Amen. I know full well my grudge towards the Oilers is as petty as a grudge can possibly be, but there's literally no other team I enjoy seeing suffer more than those guys and their fans. And that management. Massive lol.

And I don't know if it's just me but I find McDavid seriously unlikeable. He's not the face that I want to rally behind in the name of the sport, no sir.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I hold a grudge on the Oilers since Brian Burke's days, when even while sucking, Edmonton fans were so arrogant to say that their management was bright and they were going to have a great future, trusting completely Kevin Lowe and pissing on BB... LMAO! The Schultz backstabbing signing and subsequent fiasco was the cherry on top.

Edit: BM for BB, was I drunk?

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I hold a grudge on the Oilers since Bryan Murray's days, when even while sucking, Edmonton fans were so arrogant to say that their management was bright and they were going to have a great future, trusting completely Kevin Lowe and pissing on BM... LMAO! The Schultz backstabbing signing and subsequent fiasco was the cherry on top.

i think you mean brian burke

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah agreed. I think McDavid will have him beat for a better peak definitely. I wonder if the Oilers continue to suck in the foreseeable future if he tries to get out of there and win something.
Yeah & we haven't even seen McDavid play with the quality of linemates Crosby has had.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Of course. Ehm... :laugh:

Although Lowe and the Oilers did f*** off Murray when he was here too when we almost traded them Perry for Comrie and last minute Lowe demanded Comrie paid him $1M of his signing bonus.

Thank f*** Lowe is an idiot and that never happened haha.

Reactions: Fighter

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Loving these early season displays from the Kings

I especially like the part where Quick swings his stick out of frustration at an opposing forward behind the net, leaving him susceptible to the perfectly executed cross-ice pass that leads to a goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad