Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The bold just isn't true. Bergman was a 2nd himself and is neither knocking it out of the park nor busting. He looks like a typical second round pick. So from Ottawa's POV, even to that point. The odds are very good that neither the 4th nor the 5th ever play 200 NHL games. Boedker is an NHL player, even if he has declined. Maybe the problem in SJ wasn't Boedker. Maybe he flourishes in Ottawa. But whether he does or not, that package of picks is not much. The 2nd has what? Maybe a 25-30% chance of playing 200 games? I'd say that Boedker has at least a 30% chance of playing 200 more games.

Would Ottawa have done better dealing directly with Florida? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think the odds favour that. The cap space is a factor but its value depends on what happens in the future. Ottawa did save some cap and more salary with this deal. They will have to pay 6 mil over 2 years and the cap won't matter if the Sens are not going to spend to the cap anyway, which they likely are not. So Boedker needs only be worth 3 mil per year.

2019 2nd rounder is a pretty good trade chip at draft and all next season. Don't lose sight of that.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Just getting rid of Hoffman going into a rebuild is a win for Ottawa. Whatever return they got is just gravy. Hes a PP trigger man, that's about it.

As whillee alluded to, if hes not playing top PP he's barely an NHL player.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
sens are going for a master plan.
gut the franchise. go for the rebuild.
attendance will fall.
they will want a new arena. won't get it.
then they'll look at moving the team to Quebec City.

it's pretty gross and transparent.
I think you might be a pretty smart guy! It makes sense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This one, maybe?

Wicked (but clever)...

Actually, I had a discussion last evening with a friend about the upcoming season, and one of the topics was whether Ovechkin would crash and burn after finally reaching the pinnacle. I think there's a decent chance he comes back next year in poor shape and nowhere near his peak performance. Lots of reports of him "smashing" the offseason, so far. Maybe next year is Laine's year for the Richard Trophy.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wicked (but clever)...

Actually, I had a discussion last evening with a friend about the upcoming season, and one of the topics was whether Ovechkin would crash and burn after finally reaching the pinnacle. I think there's a decent chance he comes back next year in poor shape and nowhere near his peak performance. Lots of reports of him "smashing" the offseason, so far. Maybe next year is Laine's year for the Richard Trophy.

I could see that happening. Wouldn’t blame Ovi though.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I could see that happening. Wouldn’t blame Ovi though.
I would think that the Caps' perspective would be that he has about 9.6 million reasons to stay in shape and be diligent in his preparation for next season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
did i miss something this season? how did Drew Doughty finish 2nd in running for the Norris?

logged crazy minutes and posted 6o points while dominating the underlying metrics. He was very deserving of his nomination, La just flew under the radar.

Reactions: HannuJ

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wicked (but clever)...

He's always liked his beer from what I hear. For earlier years the partying is believed to have hindered him a bit. But his gifted genetic talent sure helps to overcome that as he just is naturally gifted. I played with a guy who made the show and never worked out, weird how some are so genetically lucky. I'm not saying Ovi doesn't work out don't get me wrong.
Athletes need time off anyway after a season, he should get back at er soon. But you may be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad