Around the League 20 - Well.... we're waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Imagine paying Marner $11 million. Dude was absolutely atrocious out there.

Everyone forgets those Torts and Trotz-coached clubs until they stifle all of your scoring talent and reveal your team as emperors with no clothes and little depth. Now people are slowly starting to see why Carolina builds their club from the back-end out, lavishly invests assets on defensemen, and why Brind'Amour values defensive play from his forwards so much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Imagine paying Marner $11 million. Dude was absolutely atrocious out there.
Technically $16M this season, which is fair way to look at it as there is the odd chance he may get traded in which case someone else would pay the cheaper later years.

The League's highest paid player this season; the boy took to make a point by getting a $100k over Matthews' $15.9M for 2019-20.

Mitchell Marner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Auston Matthews - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That's several tiers of salary above Aho.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Technically $16M this season, which is fair way to look at it as there is the odd chance he may get traded in which case someone else would pay the cheaper later years.

The League's highest paid player this season; the boy took to make a point by getting a $100k over Matthews' $15.9M for 2019-20.

Mitchell Marner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Auston Matthews - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That's several tiers of salary above Aho.

With all of the RFA panic from last offseason, the only team that truly got reamed by it was the Leafs. Most of the other salaries ended up being pretty reasonable (i.e. Rantanen and Connor). If the Leafs lose once again in the play-ins, that lowers the negotiating power of future young RFAs looking for some ridiculous payday before they are ready for it, outside of the truly-elite guys like Pettersson.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Most of the other salaries ended up being pretty reasonable (i.e. Rantanen and Connor)
What up Fenton.

2017_10_10_206_XL.0.jpg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
CBJ has Torts who's a top 5 coach in the NHL, one of the best d-pairings in the NHL with Werenski-Jones, a serviceable starting goalie and despite their forward group lacking top end talent they all completely buy in to Torts' system. Whoever they play is never going to have an easy time.

And Ferland fights in his first game back. Will he leave during the middle of the game now?

Don't go out of your way being generous.....

...I'd give up something pretty nice to have either of their two goalies. Korpo was going to be an Allstar this year if he wasn't hurt, if I'm remembering correctly.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If the qualifying holds up across the board as Game 1 results the draft will look like:

1: Florida Panthers (where I want him to go out of the options but not where he will go)
2: LAK
3: OTT
4: DET
5: OTT
6: ANA
7: NJ
8: BUF
9: NSH
10: VAN
11: NYR
12: WPG
13: CAR (from TML)
14: EDM
15: PIT

Even if we lost in the next two rounds we would give up a pick between 19-23 (upsets dependent, if no upsets it is 23rd). Every team other team that won game 1 has less points than us.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If the qualifying holds up across the board as Game 1 results the draft will look like:

1: Florida Panthers (where I want him to go out of the options but not where he will go)
2: LAK
3: OTT
4: DET
5: OTT
6: ANA
7: NJ
8: BUF
9: NSH
10: VAN
11: NYR
12: WPG
13: CAR (from TML)
14: EDM
15: PIT

Even if we lost in the next two rounds we would give up a pick between 19-23 (upsets dependent, if no upsets it is 23rd). Every team other team that won game 1 has less points than us.

Let's shock the world and win the Cup, baby! Make that pick #31!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Probably because Rangers and Canucks are so overrated. Also, Leafs sucks.
I don't find Vancouver that overrated. They're like us about 2-3 years back. A solid young team that's not quite ready for prime time and still had to figure out how to win consistently.

This year was a bit of a false positive since they're in the Pacific.

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
for all the grief the 'canes got for voting against the current format and the outright mocking of their suggested alternate that higher seeds should go in each series with a 1-0 lead (god forbid the season to that point matter) - it occurs to me that quite a few teams are wishing they had backed our plan.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

As much as I loved Ferland, I'm glad Dundon held back from extending him. The way he plays is going to have him out of the league sooner rather than later. Great "one-hit wonder" for us so-to-speak but after that hit he laid on Dowd in the Caps series, the dude just disappeared even after RBA had his back and chewed out the refs for giving him the 5-minute major that day.

I don't know why but I enjoy watching the Flames lose

I guess it's the disrespect Lindholm showed our fans despite us cheering him on even when he played below the level he was capable of...

Never forget.....

9d5d95ff06925c44f617f9377e682a09432eefd1.gifv

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don't know why but I enjoy watching the Flames lose

I guess it's the disrespect Lindholm showed our fans despite us cheering him on even when he played below the level he was capable of...
The Flames have Rinaldo in their current lineup. They deserve to be swept and laughed out of the league.

Reactions: zman77 and Canes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad