Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The Flyers visit the Caps on Wednesday on national TV, having won six straight and standing only three points behind WSH for the Metro division lead. That game is going to get all the hype, and deservedly so. Then they have to come home to host us the next night, after we've had four days off, presumably to rest, recover, maybe get a goalie healthy, and have a handful of practices to acclimate the new guys.

IMO, that game is set up for us to win. If we can't capitalize on a team coming down off a huge high the night before and traveling, then we're just not good enough. We may still make the playoffs (finishing ahead of FLA, CLB and NYR isn't a very high bar), but we simply lack the killer instinct we had last season.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The Flyers visit the Caps on Wednesday on national TV, having won six straight and standing only three points behind WSH for the Metro division lead. That game is going to get all the hype, and deservedly so. Then they have to come home to host us the next night, after we've had four days off, presumably to rest, recover, maybe get a goalie healthy, and have a handful of practices to acclimate the new guys.

IMO, that game is set up for us to win. If we can't capitalize on a team coming down off a huge high the night before and traveling, then we're just not good enough. We may still make the playoffs (finishing ahead of FLA, CLB and NYR isn't a very high bar), but we simply lack the killer instinct we had last season.

I WANT TO SEE HEALTHY DOUGIE BACK AND WHAT IT DOES TO THE TEAM.
I WANT TO SEE MRÁZEK FROM LAST WINTER. I WANT TO SEE HIM PLAY LIKE THAT IN A STRETCH OF GAMES.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It’s a bizarre time in HFCanes where the suggestion of a very likely 9th place finish is met with derision.

Ok last thing I'll say on this. According to Dom's model (and several others with similar results), the around the league scoreboard yesterday improved the Canes' playoff chances from 61% to 66%. That's why I was pushing back. Scoreboard was good to us yesterday, CBJ comeback aside.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I think part of it is that we were fairly heavy favorites coming in to the season. Not necessarily for the cup or even the division but almost everyone credible that wasn't buying in to the devils hype had us as all but a lock to get in again and a real threat to the repetitive Caps or Pens cycle at the top of the division. Last year a lot of people wrote the team off before a single game was played. These guys are professionals but they can still take in the press clippings, and there's just not that same "us vs the world" mentality there either this year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It feels like the Canes will be able to slide into the Playoffs without an exceptional finish. All of NYI, Columbus, NYR (post Shesterkin/Buchnevic injuries), and Florida look beatable for a wildcard spot. There are a ton of tough games ahead but I think a ~10-8-0 finish could get it done.

It is interesting that by Thursday night the Canes will have 4 games in hand on Columbus this late in the year. If there was ever an opportunity for Rod to work some motivation magic to amp this team up now would be the time. 4 days is a long stretch to set expectations and hammer a message home.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I'd feel better if we were only off two days versus four days. This team always has played better when in a rhythm than with a longer layover. I fully expect that the Flyers will spank us on Thursday. They are playing great, they will be at home and be able to feast on our weak pairings, and we usually look rusty after several days.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
I think part of it is that we were fairly heavy favorites coming in to the season. Not necessarily for the cup or even the division but almost everyone credible that wasn't buying in to the devils hype had us as all but a lock to get in again and a real threat to the repetitive Caps or Pens cycle at the top of the division. Last year a lot of people wrote the team off before a single game was played. These guys are professionals but they can still take in the press clippings, and there's just not that same "us vs the world" mentality there either this year.

probably a mix of “sophomore slump” and higher expectations — I agree. Maybe my bar is just too low but im relatively happy with this season. It will hurt like hell if they dont make it but with a young core, injuries and trades, and playing in the hellscape that is in the metro ... idk it’s not shocking to me weve struggled at times.

Im hoping for a insanely strong effort down the stretch. But if they continue to take first periods off they are doomed lol.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'd feel better if we were only off two days versus four days. This team always has played better when in a rhythm than with a longer layover. I fully expect that the Flyers will spank us on Thursday. They are playing great, they will be at home and be able to feast on our weak pairings, and we usually look rusty after several days.
Except recently we look rusty to start EVERY game, not just after several days break. Not being down 1-0 in the first 10 min would be incredibly refreshing

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
*daydreaming a penguins gauntlet*
latest

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Leon Draisaitl w/ 4 goals tonight.

The debate about his MVP candidacy led me down a bit of a rabbit hole to find out that in what may have been the greatest season a player ever had in the NHL, Bobby Orr came in 3rd in Hart voting despite scoring 46 goals and winning the Art Ross trophy as a defenseman. He was also a +80.

What I’m trying to say is that voters for awards have always been f***ing morons.

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The debate about his MVP candidacy led me down a bit of a rabbit hole to find out that in what may have been the greatest season a player ever had in the NHL, Bobby Orr came in 3rd in Hart voting despite scoring 46 goals and winning the Art Ross trophy as a defenseman. He was also a +80.

What I’m trying to say is that voters for awards have always been f***ing morons.
I'll drink to that..

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->