Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think that UFA and the draft are delayed until September. I know that the NHLPA agreed to slide their contracts until after the playoffs.
It's problematic if/when the other leagues (=prospective employers) have started playing at that time. The RFAs failing to agree on a SPC for 20/21 are in difficult spot to find employment overseas if it goes to that.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Has anyone heard how they are going to handle free agency this year? Contracts that expire on July 4th... they just extending them a month or two?
There's no fixed expiry date on a SPC, so there's that. The pending free agent players have contracted to play season 20/21, so if NHL and NHLPA agree that the season 20/21 will exceptionally end in September Xth then the players technically are signed until that and the free agency happens on September (X+1)th. I guess.

Interesting singular scenarios may happen if some pending FA signs himself for example to KHL for 20/21. We'll make up the rules as we go.

Reactions: DaveG and hurricure

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yep, I'm 1000% calling bullshit on this whole thing.

Not what she is breaking, I completely believe that.

No the bullshit is having f***ing Montreal, Chicago, the Rangers, and whatever other shitass large market teams possibly in the lottery after the playoffs were expanded to 24 to allow them a shot at making it. Either they should be in the playoffs and out of the lottery, or outright f***ing out of the playoffs. No ifs, ands, or f***ing buts about it. Should have just been kept at 16 teams, or at f***ing most, 7-10 and 8-9 3 game play-in series. No, this f***ing league kowtows to the big markets giving teams well on the outside (not so much the Rangers but 100% Chicago and Montreal) a shot at the playoffs, then says "oh no, they'll also have a shot at #1 if they're eliminated in the play-in round". Complete. f***ing. Bullshit.
To quote Martin Luther:

"Nailed it!"

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Screenshot_2020-05-27-21-28-38.png

Obviously a preseason jersey (he never played an NHL game) but that's lower than the cost of an alleged "authentic" blank from Fanatics (spoiler: the authentics on Fanatics are a work, the real authentics are made in Canada not Indonesia) and I've wanted a Canes jersey for awhile.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Soooo is this really going to be feasible to start next season in November? What would that be, like a month off for the teams that make it deep?
Yeah, but they've had several months off to heal up with the break now. And the teams that go deep will be starting the season practiced, while teams that were out of the playoffs won't have been in a game for what, 9 months? They'll be fresh, but incredibly rusty. A lot of those teams will look like what it looked like a few years ago when they had teams off bye weeks playing teams like the Bruins or Lightning in full midseason form. Or like us against the Bruins last year. I'd rather be practiced than rusty in that scenario. You can load manage throughout the season if you have to, and I'm sure the NHL will run the season long next year to allow for decent spacing between games.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Soooo is this really going to be feasible to start next season in November? What would that be, like a month off for the teams that make it deep?
July 31st start. 1.5 weeks for play in round
7-8 weeks for regular playoffs. End of September, beginning of October to complete this. I bet we look at week before thanksgiving start.

3 weeks off for draft, FA, and moving for players. 2 weeks for preseason.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
View attachment 347890

Obviously a preseason jersey (he never played an NHL game) but that's lower than the cost of an alleged "authentic" blank from Fanatics (spoiler: the authentics on Fanatics are a work, the real authentics are made in Canada not Indonesia) and I've wanted a Canes jersey for awhile.

JR realized he screwed up not drafting his brother Erik "The Better One" Karlsson in 2008. Unfortunately Erik didn't quite have Eriks skill set.

Reactions: sabremike

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There has been talk of starting as late as January next season. And that they would still try to get a full season in by cancelling bye weeks, the all star game, and ending the season fairly late again. I don't know how feasible that'd really be, but it's been out there.

I think what they'll most likely do is wait to see where things stand around September/October as the playoffs are winding down. If it seems hopeful that you can get crowds of some sort in games by late November, they may go that route. If they think that can't happen until December or January, they'll aim for that.

I remember them saying that rest wise and transactions needing to be completed in the off season wise, they would like a minimum of 45 days from end of season to training camps.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There has been talk of starting as late as January next season. And that they would still try to get a full season in by cancelling bye weeks, the all star game, and ending the season fairly late again. I don't know how feasible that'd really be, but it's been out there.

I think what they'll most likely do is wait to see where things stand around September/October as the playoffs are winding down. If it seems hopeful that you can get crowds of some sort in games by late November, they may go that route. If they think that can't happen until December or January, they'll aim for that.

I remember them saying that rest wise and transactions needing to be completed in the off season wise, they would like a minimum of 45 days from end of season to training camps.

I don’t pretend to know everything that’s happening in the US or with every state, I know it differs greatly but I can say with a good amount of certainty that there will be no concerts, events, etc happening in at least, most of Canada for the rest of 2020. Major symphonies up here have already pre-emptively cancelled their 2021 season and any type of major festival had basically been postponed until summer 2021. Ontario is not in good shape in general and Quebec is managing extremely poorly compared to the rest of the country. Some universities have already said that physical classes will not resume in September. 2021 is still a possibility. There is a strong sense that a second wave will hit in the summer or early fall so around some of the major centres we won’t see things going back to ‘normal’ for a while

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

If they're not re-starting until January, why not just do a shortened season like the lockout year? Maybe not 48 games but bump up to closer to 60?

Reactions: AD Skinner

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If they're not re-starting until January, why not just do a shortened season like the lockout year? Maybe not 48 games but bump up to closer to 60?
Money. Every lost home game is a lost million bucks or so. I think they're happy to live with a season that goes late in the summer in order to get as many games as possible, especially with how limited crowds will be at the beginning of the season. Vaccine development is happening at warp speed and Dr. Fauci is now saying we might even have one by November or December, so the NHL and NHLPA will be quite eager to pack as many vaccinated fans as are willing into buildings next spring to make up for lost money.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I expect a delayed season, NOT a shortened season. The difference between this and a lockout scenario is that everybody, including owners, fans, and players, are on the same page about wanting hockey played again. There's no incentive for any side to truly cut games back outside of the absolute peak of the pandemic last month.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I expect a delayed season, NOT a shortened season. The difference between this and a lockout scenario is that everybody, including owners, fans, and players, are on the same page about wanting hockey played again. There's no incentive for any side to truly cut games back outside of the absolute peak of the pandemic last month.

Fair point, I guess that wasn't really an option with the lockout-shortened season (ironic since it was mostly a fight over $$$). Of course, we're assuming they'll be allowed to sell out the arenas by start of the season, but there's still a lot of uncertainty about when we'll be able to do that (after a vaccine is created?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad