Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
2 things:
1. Based purely upon play before stoppage, no way RBA sits Fleury. Eddy and TVR sit. But who knows, odd circumstances to be sure.
2. What type of advantage will the higher seeds be given? Normally the higher seed gets home ice, but there will be no home ice advantage. Possible that the higher seeds start with a 1-0 series advantage? Curious to know if anyone has seen this topic discussed yet.
Based purely on how RBA deploys players (i.e. TVR o 1st pairing with Slavin)...no way he plays Fleury over TVR/Edm even if he scores 10 goals and the other two shoot at our own net

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My guess is that Brindy will play these pairings:

Skjei-Hamilton
Slavin-Vatanen
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk
Fleury

I genuinely think that Slavin, Gardiner, and Skjei are our 3 best LH guys, though Fleury's played really well, and TVR's been no slouch from a possession perspective, particularly at the end of this season (Link: Trevor van Riemsdyk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com). If Vatanen and/or one of those above guys underperform in a loss, replace them with Fleury and Eddy the next game. Easy. What's been kind of amazing for the Canes is that there hasn't yet been a single player on our team who has been below 50% Corsi outside of Brian Gibbons, so there's no real "bad" choices to plug into our D-corps, just "less good" ones.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Personally, if Brindy's up to letting the first pairing be more offensively-oriented, I would love to see how Skjei plays with Hamilton. Because Dougie is such a possession monster, Skjei, in many ways, would be sheltered a little bit and would be allowed to open up his offensive game and focus on break-outs and setting up one-timers in Dougie's direction. To me, Slavin's defensive skills should be used to shelter Vatanen as he gets adjusted with a new team and a new system.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It took a solid 6 months for Slavin to adjust to Hamilton's more positionless style and solidify the 1st pair. Given that Skjei plays a similar game to Dougie I'm not sure I would want to see them trying to figure that out on the fly during elimination games.
Skjei-Vatanen seems like an easier stop-gap with more sheltered deployment.

I really hate the thought of going into a 5 game elimination series against NYR. I'd have preferred literally any other team except Boston. Shesterkin will be itching to make his mark and Zibanejad was on fire before the break.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It took a solid 6 months for Slavin to adjust to Hamilton's more positionless style and solidify the 1st pair. Given that Skjei plays a similar game to Dougie I'm not sure I would want to see them trying to figure that out on the fly during elimination games.

I really hate the thought of going into a 5 game elimination series against NYR. I'd have preferred literally any other team except Boston. Shesterkin will be itching to make his mark and Zibanejad was on fire before the break.

To me, playing the Rangers is no time to play it safe. Take some risks and see if changing the defensive pairings in a more offensively-minded way gives our team more of a shot against their goalies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Slavin - Hamilton
Fleury - Skjei
Edmundson - Vatanen

Gardiner, van Riemsdyk

I doubt that Brind'Amour will want to experiment with all 3 pairings; Hamilton probably goes right back with Slavin. Fleury's play before the break and skating ability should keep him in the lineup against the Rangers. Edmundson and Vatanen are a very logical stylistic fit and they could end up with 2nd pairing minutes. Gardiner and van Riemsdyk rotate in as necessary

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Haven’t been following that closely - is Shesterkin available after his car crash? Thought he broke some ribs.

Not that we do any better against Lundqvist.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Slavin - Hamilton
Fleury - Skjei
Edmundson - Vatanen

Gardiner, van Riemsdyk

I doubt that Brind'Amour will want to experiment with all 3 pairings; Hamilton probably goes right back with Slavin. Fleury's play before the break and skating ability should keep him in the lineup against the Rangers. Edmundson and Vatanen are a very logical stylistic fit and they could end up with 2nd pairing minutes. Gardiner and van Riemsdyk rotate in as necessary

I disagree with the bottom-pairing. Go Gardiner on the left side or go home, at least to me. Vatanen needs a partner whom can boost the possession metrics and shelter Vatanen's deficiencies. Gardiner does that, occasional gaffes notwithstanding. Skjei has the excellent skating chops necessary for solid play on his off-hand, so if Fleury plays his way into the lineup, he's probably going to be the one that moves to the right side. I just personally prefer an all-strong-side lineup, in which case, you should play Slavin/Skjei/Gardiner.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If it's Gardiner vs. Fleury give me the d-man who has the same amount ES points despite playing over 400 minutes less of ES time overall. Gardiner will probably play though because he's a veteran and we're going to try to salvage what we can out of his albatross of a contract until it's clear we can't.

Gardiner's possession metrics are off the charts good, particularly at 5-on-5. Let's stop pretending that Jake is chopped liver and is some sort of albatross. He's a very good player that got unlucky early in the year. His counting numbers began progressing to the mean before COVID cut the season short.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Gardiner's possession metrics are off the charts good, particularly at 5-on-5. Let's stop pretending that Jake is chopped liver and is some sort of albatross. He's a very good player that got unlucky early in the year. His counting numbers began progressing to the mean before COVID cut the season short.
Dude, just stop with the Gardiner crap. He was playing less terribly before the pause, but he was still pretty bad, just not as abysmally bad as early this season. Unless something significant has changed for him physically with the time off (and given his back and hips, that's not impossible), he's barely an NHLer right now.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Dude, just stop with the Gardiner crap. He was playing less terribly before the pause, but he was still pretty bad, just not as abysmally bad as early this season. Unless something significant has changed for him physically with the time off (and given his back and hips, that's not impossible), he's barely an NHLer right now.

"Barely an NHLer" is a major exaggeration. Gards had a very typical pattern from his normal career this year of great analytics and not-great counting stats, except with extreme outliers early in the season. You know that I'm a fan with strong convictions and a big stathead. When others zig, I happily zag, and I will keep zagging when it comes to Gardiner.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

He’s going a little overboard on the Gardiner love but it seems like it’s a bit to balance out the unjustified level of Gardiner hate that many are spewing.

The last 20 games or so he was playing up to his contract. What’s the point of re-hashing all of this? Let’s just see how things are when we get back to playing and see how Gards is looking. He was clearly playing through injuries early in the season. This time off might have done him some good along with understanding the system and meshing better with teammates

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
He’s going a little overboard on the Gardiner love but it seems like it’s a bit to balance out the unjustified level of Gardiner hate that many are spewing.

The last 20 games or so he was playing up to his contract. What’s the point of re-hashing all of this? Let’s just see how things are when we get back to playing and see how Gards is looking. He was clearly playing through injuries early in the season. This time off might have done him some good along with understanding the system and meshing better with teammates

I admit that my comments were reactionary. I'm not saying that Gards is the best defenseman on the team (that's clearly Dougie and it's not close); I'm just saying that you have to balance his great advanced metrics with his not-great counting stats, as well as his progression in the year 2020, to judge his overall game and to see how he's an, IMO, prime rebound candidate this post-season and not some contract albatross.

Reactions: DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
To us it seems clear that Fleury should be playing but I fully expect to see him sitting again because of Brindy.

Who f***ing knows who should be playing? We don’t have any idea what shape these guys are in or how rusty they might be. Other than Slavin and Hamilton i don’t think anyone should just be penciled in.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Lets not kid ourselves, there's going to be a lot of out of shape dudes when things get going again. I know these guys have home gyms and whatnot but some of these guys may not have had access to an ice rink during this break.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The way he was dealing before the break, there's no way Fleury won't be top 4 guy for Brindy.

Slavin, Hamilton, Fleury and Eddy (ouch). Then you have Gardy, Skjei, TVR and Vatanen. Maybe it's just me but Vatanen screams mediocrity.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Rod Brind'amour, not me. Just my prediction.

Ehhh... ok... that pairing just doesn't make much sense to me on our 2nd unit, but I see what you're saying about Rod being stuck in his ways. If anything I would think Skej + TVR or something like that makes more sense. This is probably what I would want to roll with.

Slavin - Hamilton
Fleury - Vatanen
Skej - TVR

Either Gardiner or Edmundson as the extra, probably Edmundson and then legit look at inserting Gardiner in as a roaming forward or something like that.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad