Around the League 19: And Down the Stretch They Come...OK, Who Hit the Pause Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Wow. I really thought that format would’ve opened things up a little more.

f*cking Metro...

Well... it would make it worse for Jackets because they have three more games, while we and both NY teams have 62 games.
But it gets us and Rangers closer to Flyers.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
So are the NYR still rolling after trading a guy who was playing on their first pair?
I was thinking about this earlier. Their left side has got to be one of the weakest in the league... while they may be able to upgrade from Sjeki in the off-season at the #1LD spot they won’t be able to this year and they will have a hell of a time doing it in the offseason for less than 5 million

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Was thinking the other day how it was interesting that we took our two major deadline acquisitions from teams right on our tail. NYR now down a top 4 D and Florida a 2C. Hopefully that slows them.
I would like to think so but both players werent matches for their role/system. Im not sure it will be a big impact.

it may be a Staal and Faulk situation. Aho was able to show his fit into every role when Staal went down. Faulk was played in the wrong role (PP mostly) and the PP has done better with him out of that role. Rangers/panthers may have better fits for those roles that will get a chance due to the trades.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Except that Skjei turned the puck over leading to a goal and Trocheck took a penalty that led to another. A few more games like that would be a big impact.
I was meaning for the teams they left. It’ll take them a couple of weeks to get fully integrated. We’ll see more positive play from them. We need those around them to bring it up until those two are back to producing like a 2C and a 3rd D.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ive decided I’m still pulling for the Leafs to melt down and give us a better draft pick while pulling for the Canes to make the playoffs and give the Rangers a worse pick.

this hedging you’re bets shit by pulling for the Leafs is for the birds.

I'm pulling for Florida. The Leafs are 7 points above the top-10 of the Draft with 18 games left to play. They would have to miraculously implode to fill that gap. And I don't see much use fretting over a 1-3% Draft lottery chance. If the Canes miss the Playoffs then that is on GMBC as a failed, calculated risk. Ideally they would learn from it and move on.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I'm pulling for Florida. The Leafs are 7 points above the top-10 of the Draft with 18 games left to play. They would have to miraculously implode to fill that gap. And I don't see much use fretting over a 1-3% Draft lottery chance. If the Canes miss the Playoffs then that is on GMBC as a failed, calculated risk. Ideally they would learn from it and move on.

EVEN IF IT MADE MORE SENSE TO PULL FOR LEAFS, I WOULD PULL FOR FLORIDA EVERY TIME UNLESS IT WOULD DIRECTLY INFLUENCE CANES BEING IN OR OUT OF PLAYOFF.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And I don't see much use fretting over a 1-3% Draft lottery chance. If the Canes miss the Playoffs then that is on GMBC as a failed, calculated risk. Ideally they would learn from it and move on.

I don't know if there would be need to learn anything... should it happen, it was a known low-odds risk that was consciously taken, and it realized. Low-odds risks do that sometime.

The whole insurance business is based on the fact that people are unwilling (=risk-aversive) to take the low-odds but devastating economic risk associated with their house burning down, and so they are willing to pay a hefty premium for the insurance company to take the risk for themselves to carry.

You pay extra if you want to play safe.

Reactions: zman77 and geehaad

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Except that Skjei turned the puck over leading to a goal and Trocheck took a penalty that led to another. A few more games like that would be a big impact.

Those aren't the events from the game I would be using to judge future performance for those two players.

On the whole I'm pretty encouraged with both of them, although more so with Trocheck.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
josh anderson and columbus are on the outs. i would love to see that guy here. i have been touting him for years. the skillset is kreideresque, which is probably the one forward at the deadline that i was invested in emotionally. he's been abysmal this year, but he could be an immediate boost. have him start on a line with foegele and just send them to the crease. he takes care of the puck as well and creates turnovers. 40 or more takeaways to 20 or less giveaways the past two seasons.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Toronto down 3-1 by the 2nd TV timeout in the first game of its Muzzin-less stretch.

Haula has an assist, I believe. Interestingly, Wallmark is playing on a line with one Aleksi Saarela.

Reactions: zman77

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is one to watch. Defense and goaltending optional. 6 scored so far. That period ended with some big hits and a fight.
So they are scoring on Sergei Bobrovsky, $10,000,000 AAV, then?

If they were playing in Toronto, both teams would be mauling their own goaltender probably.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad