Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
15. Jets Laine was told to expect more minutes this year, which he is looking forward to. He got 44 goals last year averaging about 16 and half minutes per night. That kind of production is rare. He's gunning for 50 and should be fun to watch.

Only time will tell how much of a missed opportunity last year was for the Jets.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
It kind of feels similar to 2011 , we had picked up a guy we needed very badly in Richards , our biggest need then was learning how to win IMO , we had just had a a first round exit that left a bad taste in the team and one of our best players was coming off a severe leg injury and we did not know how he would look coming back.......fast forwards 8 lifetimes err seasons and our biggest need is scoring , kovy , if that loss didn't leave a bad taste in the teams mouth then they don't care and we are toast anyway, and carter's. news he has lingering work to do while scary the fact that it's carter who is the consummate pro moves the meter to the positive side. Words like rational irrational have no place in sports there more for politics where the rational half of the country thinks the other half is totally irrational ( insert party affiliation here ).....confidence it what you have in the players doing there best, the front office making the right decisions and getting what help we need and the hockey gods still feeling like they want to smile on us after decades of the crap we had to endure ,until reality sets in like a reverse game of horse until confidence is whittled down to con , like he will be back by Christmas, the other robattile is a first liner etc so I have CONFIDENCE we are headed to a great season and I didn't waste my ticket money etc etc etc

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Only time will tell how much of a missed opportunity last year was for the Jets.

I don't think it was a missed opportunity as much as a learning curve. They played a good series and got beaten by a hot goalie, it happens. From some of the quotes, esp from younger players, they didnt realize how hard the road was, how mentally tough you have to be. They gained a boatload of experience. IMO , still the best team in the West and with young guys only getting better.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't think it was a missed opportunity as much as a learning curve. They played a good series and got beaten by a hot goalie, it happens. From some of the quotes, esp from younger players, they didnt realize how hard the road was, how mentally tough you have to be. They gained a boatload of experience. IMO , still the best team in the West and with young guys only getting better.

I mean in terms of the contracts. They have some good ones, if not great ones, but they might be where Chicago was in September 2009 right now. They have a lot of contracts ending this season, and they'll have a 33 year old Wheeler getting a raise next year, and Byfuglien will be 34 making almost $8m, and they're already spending $6m on a goalie. The Hawks went 2 years after their purge in 2010 without winning again. Still good, but the depth was tested.

Not easy getting to the 3rd round, and in that hopeful "well there's always next year", as we constantly tell ourselves here, other teams around you get better. Maybe they lose that 7 game series in the 2nd round this time, and then they have to figure out what to do with Laine, Connor, Trouba, Myers, and whoever else they have to get rid of without a Cup in their back pocket.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I mean in terms of the contracts. They have some good ones, if not great ones, but they might be where Chicago was in September 2009 right now. They have a lot of contracts ending this season, and they'll have a 33 year old Wheeler getting a raise next year, and Byfuglien will be 34 making almost $8m, and they're already spending $6m on a goalie. The Hawks went 2 years after their purge in 2010 without winning again. Still good, but the depth was tested.

Not easy getting to the 3rd round, and in that hopeful "well there's always next year", as we constantly tell ourselves here, other teams around you get better. Maybe they lose that 7 game series in the 2nd round this time, and then they have to figure out what to do with Laine, Connor, Trouba, Myers, and whoever else they have to get rid of without a Cup in their back pocket.

Okay, gotcha . Yes, that is a pretty consistent juggling act for most GM's.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

That, I like.

Ex Leaf news, Joffrey Lupul a free agent since July 1

Shame his injuries hampered what could have been a great career. Loved him as a Flyer, talented wing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Just saw this. Funny. Also, unsurprising the biggest divers and whiners in the league show up so often, well done Preds.

Brownie giving them a mouthful over the Colin Miller dive :laugh: "his f***ing feet were over his head!"

Wish they got Quick's conversations in there too.

I know it comes up often but I'd watch the hell out of any one game a week fully mic'ced up and uncensored, so much of the game I love is lost behind a barrier.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Brownie giving them a mouthful over the Colin Miller dive :laugh:

Wish they got Quick's conversations in there too.

I know it comes up often but I'd watch the hell out of any one game a week fully mic'ced up and uncensored, so much of the game I love is lost behind a barrier.

There'd be a lot of fines and suspensions if they ever released that.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
my saving grace was expansion as Seattle was due to come into the league the same year as a potential stoppage. Now the league pushed that back a year so I feel like all hope is lost.

Still applies, Seattle enters in 20-21, the opt-out would impact that season.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Well one hand I am glad that this may mean no lockout. On the other I really think the Kovalchuk contract will mean we lose a good player to Seattle.

Their is a good chance that numerous players will be gone (a couple of Toffoli, Pearson, Martinez and Muzzin, Phaneuf will likely be bought out next summer or in 2020) and replaced with younger guys not needing protection, insert Clague, Vilardi, JAD, Eyssimont, Rempal etc. by the time the expansion rolls around.

Reactions: King Trouty

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Their is a good chance that numerous players will be gone (a couple of Toffoli, Pearson, Martinez and Muzzin, Phaneuf will likely be bought out next summer or in 2020) and replaced with younger guys not needing protection, insert Clague, Vilardi, JAD, Eyssimont, Rempal etc. by the time the expansion rolls around.
true but there ill be players like Kempe and Iiafalo that we may want to protect. All theory at this point but the moment I saw Kovalchuk got a NMC it flagged for me.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Pushing the expansion draft to 2021 also means not having to protect Phaneuf if he somehow plays out his contract on the kings. But that will mean using a protection slot on Vilardi and Brickley instead.

But lots of things can happen. Someone is gone due to cap reasons next summer.

Reactions: King Trouty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->