Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's a lot of "could" for everyone. The difference is the negativity here towards the Kings vs. people putting together best case scenarios for everyone else.

I thought Edmonton would be a contender last year....but look what happened. I thought it would also be the year that Calgary took a step forward...womp womp. Sometimes, the shiny new toys are what they are, sometimes they're worse. Sometimes what you think is potential is overperformance. Sometimes a team or a player looks unstoppable once their team is out, like Arizona being unbeatable at the end of the previous season only to end up back in the lottery, or McDavid (I DO think he's the best player in the league) putting up a ****load of points in garbage time when selling out for offense every shift and his teammates literally saying they're going to pad his stats.

People act like misfortune only befalls the Kings and it's getting really ****ing old. Not so much at you, just a general observation.

The Kings have a razor-thin margin for error and misfortune, but so does literally everyone else in the division to various degrees.

Hell, I guess it's unpopular to mention around here now, but what if Karlsson comes in and replicates a couple of his off seasons in Ottawa--going near PPG but being awful defensively even relative to his teammates? That's possible. What if Vlasic--who had a little bit of a step back year--continues to decline instead of bouncing back? What if Burns, instead of being hte Norris-winning net impact player reverts to the sloppy turnover machine who just gets to the wrong part of the ice faster? All of these things are just as possible. We can argue over degrees of likelihood all day but I'm pretty sick of people throwing dirt on the Kings' casket like this is the year all the over 30s die at once while repeatedly praising the Sharks whose core is several years older.

Sort of like the whole instagram thing. Everyone puts up their great pictures, where it's all fun, smiles, looking good. You get jealous. Why is my life not that? Then there's an actual messy reality somewhere behind those pictures where everything probably isn't perfect. Of course as Kings fans, we know all of our warts, inside and out. If they don't win, the bad is the only thing we talk about. 2012 and 2014 were not perfect teams. They were on the razor's edge many times, in the regular season or the playoffs. We're in a bit of a Kings bubble here though, so, we might exaggerate the negative, since the Kings are what we know best. At this time last year, if someone said Carter would miss 55 games, it is season over, get ready for the draft. Yes, long term, that would've been better than getting swept in round 1. However, coaches and players believe in themselves despite adversity, and they were a couple points from 2nd in the division. Yes, Kopitar played a ton, took more faceoffs than everyone else on the team combined, and put up numbers he won't do again, but that's because Carter was out, there was no 3rd line center, and Kopitar was it. If Carter is good to go, and Kempe can get better, hopefully Kopitar's numbers all go down. If Kopitar is at his normal 70-75 points, and Carter is around 65, that's probably a good thing.

Since everyone seems to be on the Calgary bandwagon, it will probably come down to either Calgary or LA for a playoff spot. Since 03-04, if the Flames get in, the Kings have been out, and vice versa. Especially the last couple times, like 14-15 when the Flames literally eliminated the Kings and got a spot in the same game. Last time the Kings and Flames made it in the same year was 92-93.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I wouldn't be surprised if EK plays out the year for the Sharks and ends up leaving as a free agent going to the Rangers, Tampa or even the Islanders.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't be surprised if EK plays out the year for the Sharks and ends up leaving as a free agent going to the Rangers, Tampa or even the Islanders.

Here are top 2 outcomes for this year IMO.
Best case scenario for LA: Kings win cup
2nd best case scenario for LA: San Jose makes finals but lose meaning they have to give an extra pick to Ottawa, Karlsson leaves as a UFA

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
San Jose looks like the team to beat this year. But they have to win something soon, else their window will be narrower than the Kings.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
San Jose looks like the team to beat this year. But they have to win something soon, else their window will be narrower than the Kings.

I think this year is it, actually. If they resign EK, they’ll probably have to get rid of Pavelski and Thornton for cap reasons as they are a wash. Those two guys are older, but still very effective on the power play. The PP is what stirs that teams drink, it’s their main weapon. Either way the roster is going to have a lot of turnover.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I was watching a replay of NHL Tonight this morning, and they updated that Tavares, Morgan Reilly and Marleau will wear A's this year, but no letter for Matthews. I'm not sure that's a good idea, he will be their captain one day and seems to be respected ,esp by the younger guys. I get that Babs likes veterans, and wasn't happy with Matthews complaining about ice time during the playoffs. But I think it's a mistake not to give him a letter and the trust that goes along with it.
Esp with it being a contract year. Matthews is saying all the right things, but you wonder if he is going to continue to be unhappy , like he was in the playoffs.
Not good to piss off your stay when he needs a new deal.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Wonder if this starts a trend.

Hope so..

and another RH D on the loose, TB's new GM cleaning up a 'dirty' part of the house

1)To the injury report, don't think they are the only team doing this. LA just listed Forbort as a back injury instead of upper body, but I agree.
2) to the terminated contract. Wonder if there will be any push back ala Richards.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
There's a lot of "could" for everyone. The difference is the negativity here towards the Kings vs. people putting together best case scenarios for everyone else.

I thought Edmonton would be a contender last year....but look what happened. I thought it would also be the year that Calgary took a step forward...womp womp. Sometimes, the shiny new toys are what they are, sometimes they're worse. Sometimes what you think is potential is overperformance. Sometimes a team or a player looks unstoppable once their team is out, like Arizona being unbeatable at the end of the previous season only to end up back in the lottery, or McDavid (I DO think he's the best player in the league) putting up a ****load of points in garbage time when selling out for offense every shift and his teammates literally saying they're going to pad his stats.

People act like misfortune only befalls the Kings and it's getting really ****ing old. Not so much at you, just a general observation.

The Kings have a razor-thin margin for error and misfortune, but so does literally everyone else in the division to various degrees.

Hell, I guess it's unpopular to mention around here now, but what if Karlsson comes in and replicates a couple of his off seasons in Ottawa--going near PPG but being awful defensively even relative to his teammates? That's possible. What if Vlasic--who had a little bit of a step back year--continues to decline instead of bouncing back? What if Burns, instead of being hte Norris-winning net impact player reverts to the sloppy turnover machine who just gets to the wrong part of the ice faster? All of these things are just as possible. We can argue over degrees of likelihood all day but I'm pretty sick of people throwing dirt on the Kings' casket like this is the year all the over 30s die at once while repeatedly praising the Sharks whose core is several years older.

Come on, you know expecting the worst case scenario is true Kings fandom.

Say what you want about the Sharks core, but they’ve made multiple runs the past few years, including a finals appearance, and we’ve won 1 playoff game since 2014.

The dirt on the casket is already there. We’re just pointing it out. Blame Lombardi or Blake or whomever, but it’s there. If we’re battling into the second round or so the past several years, it’s a completely different story.

You really can’t fault the negative nancies around here. There’s just not a lot of objective support for this team post-2014.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
For all of us longtime Kings fans, there have been so many more bad years than good: it makes sense to not expect good things. The last four seasons have produced one playoff win and we are on the heels of scoring three goals in four playoff games.

There is reason for optimism, sure, but a lot of it hinges on hope, i.e. Kovalchuk's performance, rookie/youth contributions, no injuries to 11/8/32, repeat performance from 23 and--to a lesser extent--11.

I'm not ignoring that everything could go right as far as injuries go, Kovalchuk and some secondary scoring. Even with that, I think this team is still going to be in a dogfight to make the playoffs. Anything can happen once they get in and, if they do, hopefully they aren't dealing with significant injuries.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For all of us longtime _____ fans, there have been so many more bad years than good: it makes sense to not expect good things. The last ____ seasons have produced_____ and we are on the heels of _____.

There is reason for optimism, sure, but a lot of it hinges on hope, i.e. _____'s performance, rookie/youth contributions, no injuries to __/__/__, repeat performance from __ and--to a lesser extent--__.

I'm not ignoring that everything could go right as far as injuries go, ______ and some secondary scoring. Even with that, I think this team is still going to be in a dogfight to make the playoffs. Anything can happen once they get in and, if they do, hopefully they aren't dealing with significant injuries.

Look what happens when you take out the specifics. Any fan of any team could fill those lines in with the specifics of their own team.

Which team's season doesn't hinge on hope? There isn't one guarantee in this league. SJ has all the momentum right now, but who do they have up front? Thornton can't be hurt, or get really old. Pavelski is already 34, and his goal totals have gone down for the last 3 years. Then there's Couture and Kane. Outside of that, there's a lot of hoping there. There even has to be hope that Kane isn't an underwhelming mental case, especially after signing his big free agent contract.

I don't even know how any fan could have any confidence beyond hope. At some point, hope must play a part. Fans control nothing. Maybe you expect your team to make the playoffs, but then you're at least hoping injuries don't ravage the roster.

Hope is the whole thing behind being a fan. If we knew what would happen in advance, we wouldn't waste time watching strangers get paid millions to skate around and hit a puck.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Look what happens when you take out the specifics. Any fan of any team could fill those lines in with the specifics of their own team.

Which team's season doesn't hinge on hope? There isn't one guarantee in this league. SJ has all the momentum right now, but who do they have up front? Thornton can't be hurt, or get really old. Pavelski is already 34, and his goal totals have gone down for the last 3 years. Then there's Couture and Kane. Outside of that, there's a lot of hoping there. There even has to be hope that Kane isn't an underwhelming mental case, especially after signing his big free agent contract.

I don't even know how any fan could have any confidence beyond hope. At some point, hope must play a part. Fans control nothing. Maybe you expect your team to make the playoffs, but then you're at least hoping injuries don't ravage the roster.

Hope is the whole thing behind being a fan. If we knew what would happen in advance, we wouldn't waste time watching strangers get paid millions to skate around and hit a puck.

Which is why we still watch, debate and plunk down our cash on this team. Doesn't mean we can't do so while having doubts.

I had confidence heading in to 2012 through 2016. 2012 was a mix of confidence and hope. One of those years resulted in a baffling non-playoff team but the rest featured 2 Cups, a WCF appearance and a 100 point season.

All I've had is hope every other year of my fandom and we all know the results. Of course we all have hope, but it is possible to have both hope and rational confidence. The latter doesn't equal a 100 point season and Cup, but it is a much nicer position to be in.

If you actually believe this team, as constructed, is a legit Cup contender then more power to you. That is total irrational confidence but that is probably a more enjoyable head space than the one I occupy. I can guarantee I have just as much hope as any other Kings fan but you can't kick me in the nuts for pretty much 21 of 30 years and expect me to not be confident in the fact that I'm looking down the barrel of another nut punch.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Which is why we still watch, debate and plunk down our cash on this team. Doesn't mean we can't do so while having doubts.

I had confidence heading in to 2012 through 2016. 2012 was a mix of confidence and hope. One of those years resulted in a baffling non-playoff team but the rest featured 2 Cups, a WCF appearance and a 100 point season.

All I've had is hope every other year of my fandom and we all know the results. Of course we all have hope, but it is possible to have both hope and rational confidence. The latter doesn't equal a 100 point season and Cup, but it is a much nicer position to be in.

If you actually believe this team, as constructed, is a legit Cup contender then more power to you. That is total irrational confidence but that is probably a more enjoyable head space than the one I occupy. I can guarantee I have just as much hope as any other Kings fan but you can't kick me in the nuts for pretty much 21 of 30 years and expect me to not be confident in the fact that I'm looking down the barrel of another nut punch.

Heading into 2012 meaning in September of 2011? You had confidence in Penner after not scoring post deadline in 10-11? Confidence in Gagne after 2 consecutive injured seasons? They weren't a legit contender, as constructed, in September 2011, or September 2013. Whether it was coaching changes, call-ups, or trades, there was a lot of evolving those teams did, and had to do. Both teams put themselves in far too close a position to either miss the playoffs, or go out quietly in the 1st round.

I'm not saying don't have doubts. Hope is doubt. All I'm saying is take what you said, mad lib it with other teams and players, and it fits just as well. Those questions and fears don't apply only to the Kings. Every team needs young guys to produce. Every team needs big contract guys to produce. Every team needs older guys to produce. Every team needs health. For most teams in most seasons, one or all of those things will eventually take them down. The Caps own GM thought their window probably closed after the 16-17 season. That team lost Justin Williams, and then won. They lost Johansson for nothing, and then won. Before last year, Kuznetsov had 19 points in 39 career playoff games. They needed Smith-Pelly(bought out by the 3rd worst offensive team in the league), Eller(6 goals in 50 career playoff games before last year), and Brett "the bust" Connolly, to score for them in the playoffs. That's hope. That's throwing something against the wall, and seeing if it works.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The one thing I have learned in the salary cap era is that there are no guarantees and there is no way to predict how a season will play out. Sometimes you have super teams constructed, and they don't win the cup. Other times, you have a team like Vegas gelling together and going on a monster tear for the entire season and playoffs. I think its rationale to hope or believe that the Kings can be contenders this year. It will require a lot of things falling in place, such as, no serious injuries, Tanner/Toffoli playing to potential, and Iafallo/Kempe either playing at or above what they did last year.

Vilardi, in my opinion, is the wildcard. If he recovers from his injury, and at a minimum, plays like Kempe did his first full year, the Kings have a solid third line. But even without Vilardi, having a third line of Iafallo, Kempe and Lewis has a lot of potential.

My personal opinion is that we will fight till the end to make the playoffs, and maybe win a round depending on our match up. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Kings come roaring out the gate, and have a great season and/or playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Heading into 2012 meaning in September of 2011? You had confidence in Penner after not scoring post deadline in 10-11? Confidence in Gagne after 2 consecutive injured seasons? They weren't a legit contender, as constructed, in September 2011, or September 2013. Whether it was coaching changes, call-ups, or trades, there was a lot of evolving those teams did, and had to do. Both teams put themselves in far too close a position to either miss the playoffs, or go out quietly in the 1st round.

I'm not saying don't have doubts. Hope is doubt. All I'm saying is take what you said, mad lib it with other teams and players, and it fits just as well. Those questions and fears don't apply only to the Kings. Every team needs young guys to produce. Every team needs big contract guys to produce. Every team needs older guys to produce. Every team needs health. For most teams in most seasons, one or all of those things will eventually take them down. The Caps own GM thought their window probably closed after the 16-17 season. That team lost Justin Williams, and then won. They lost Johansson for nothing, and then won. Before last year, Kuznetsov had 19 points in 39 career playoff games. They needed Smith-Pelly(bought out by the 3rd worst offensive team in the league), Eller(6 goals in 50 career playoff games before last year), and Brett "the bust" Connolly, to score for them in the playoffs. That's hope. That's throwing something against the wall, and seeing if it works.

I think we found our new pride=passion=power!

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
I think this year is it, actually. If they resign EK, they’ll probably have to get rid of Pavelski and Thornton for cap reasons as they are a wash. Those two guys are older, but still very effective on the power play. The PP is what stirs that teams drink, it’s their main weapon. Either way the roster is going to have a lot of turnover.

If they resign EK, I actually think the opposite is possible...

SJ would have Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier and Jones all under a decent to long term contract. SJ would be smart to move on from Pavs and JT (barring the both don't take huge discounts... at that point I would keep one or both). They could use that extra space to shore up their forwards and be even more dangerous. They are in a great spot right now.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I had some irrational confidence to go with the hope due to the Richards acquisition and the belief in these guys being ready to make some noise. I am now older, wiser and have the experience of actually witnessing championship-winning teams.

I've said anything can happen. I'm not discounting the fact that an 8 seed can go 16-4 and win a Cup. "That's why they play the games"...I get it. At the same time, it isn't even odds for every NHL team to win the Cup at the start of the season and there is a reason for that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I had some irrational confidence to go with the hope due to the Richards acquisition and the belief in these guys being ready to make some noise. I am now older, wiser and have the experience of actually witnessing championship-winning teams.

I've said anything can happen. I'm not discounting the fact that an 8 seed can go 16-4 and win a Cup. "That's why they play the games"...I get it. At the same time, it isn't even odds for every NHL team to win the Cup at the start of the season and there is a reason for that.

Ok, so irrational confidence in 2011. That makes more sense, since the franchise had never done anything without the greatest player of all time, and then only 5 years after getting him. No reason to have actual confidence at the time. Richards was great, but he's no Gretzky. Plus, had anyone said, in September, that King would end up being an important scorer in the conference final that year, that would've been irrational as well. Was anyone even thinking of King 7 years ago today?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If they resign EK, I actually think the opposite is possible...

SJ would have Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier and Jones all under a decent to long term contract. SJ would be smart to move on from Pavs and JT (barring the both don't take huge discounts... at that point I would keep one or both). They could use that extra space to shore up their forwards and be even more dangerous. They are in a great spot right now.

They won't have any extra space, JT and Pavs make 11M, that's what Karlsson will get and what Karlsson gets paid now will go towards RFA's. Right now they have less than $2M in cap space, with 4 ELC's and 8 guys making under $1M per year. Meier scored 21 goals last year making 900K, and he is not under a long term contract, he is RFA next year. Labanc put up 40 points making $700K, he is RFA as well. Those guys are going to get paid.

They are in a great spot for this year, but certainly not for next. The defense and goalkeeping would cost over $41M with Karlsson, and with Kane, Couture, and Hertl making 20.5, that leaves a little over 20M for the other 9 forwards, with a couple RFA's due substantial raises.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Thoughts on some of the points

Point 6- He speaks to the gap between the Leafs and Nylander (rumored to be asking in the 8.5 range)
With Matthews and Marner coming up, can't see Nylander staying. With the forward group they have that money would be better spent on an upgrade on defense.
His agent isn't afraid to let the client 'sit' ,aka Johnny G. Asking high is normal but Nylander doesn't want a bridge deal, so I can't see him settling for 6M.

11. on Bob and the Jackets and his contract, sounds like bad blood. I like Bob, and no doubt, for the RS he is the main reason they win g ames. however, he has not been consistent enough in the playoffs for me and him asking 8-10M per yr is insane. Panarin wants as much too and I think both will be wearing new uniforms next year. Should be interesting to see how they handle Bob and what kind of return they'd get.

15. Jets Laine was told to expect more minutes this year, which he is looking forward to. He got 44 goals last year averaging about 16 and half minutes per night. That kind of production is rare. He's gunning for 50 and should be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad