Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Hall doesn’t have anyone like Doughty on his team, and neither does Mackinnon. I think that swayed a lot of votes.

Kopitar wipes the floor with these kids head to head, but it doesn’t really matter. People see Doughty and Quick, and don’t realize how critical Kopitar is, too.

Kopitar and Doughty really dragged the Kings kicking and screaming into the playoffs this year.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Nuclear hot take - Kopitar only won because he's on an offensive powerhouse team and the voters were distracted buy his 92 points however Bergeron only had 30 less points in 18 less games so its basically a wash so its real unfair because Bergeron's defensive game is head and shoulders above Kopitar. Bergeron could have easily scored more points but he was too busy being a stand up guy by stopping Marchand from licking the opponents left and right he should have won the Lady Bing also. This is not debatable. Cooter was robbed.

Reactions: KINGS17

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Hall doesn’t have anyone like Doughty on his team, and neither does Mackinnon. I think that swayed a lot of votes.

Kopitar wipes the floor with these kids head to head, but it doesn’t really matter. People see Doughty and Quick, and don’t realize how critical Kopitar is, too.

Kopitar and Doughty really dragged the Kings kicking and screaming into the playoffs this year.

I agree 100%, having the Jennings winner and a Norris finalist on his team was going to hurt Kopitar in the voting, Hell, there are plenty of fans here who would say Doughty is the Kings best player, that definitely was a factor in voting, right or wrong.

And your last sentence is really sad when you think about it, having literally the best two-way player in the league, one of the best defenseman and one of the best goaltenders and they all had amazing seasons and it resulted in barely sneaking in to the playoffs and getting swept. Just tells you how poorly this roster was constructed to have absolutely zero secondary scoring and depth.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Devils were the 3rd worst team in the league at this time last year, and that was with Hall. The Oilers were coming off a late 2nd round run with Larsson. Things change in a year. Without winning the lottery, NJ doesn't have Hischier. The Devils might still be nowhere without that luck. People love to crap on that trade, but the Oilers were trying to take as much advantage as they could from McDavid's ELC. It was working last year, and plenty of people were thinking it could work this year. Now they're stuck with 2 players taking up $21m in cap who haven't won anything.

And your last sentence is really sad when you think about it, having literally the best two-way player in the league, one of the best defenseman and one of the best goaltenders and they all had amazing seasons and it resulted in barely sneaking in to the playoffs and getting swept. Just tells you how poorly this roster was constructed to have absolutely zero secondary scoring and depth.

25, 22, 22, 21, 18, 10, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6

29, 27, 19, 15, 15, 12, 11, 11, 11, 10, 8

35, 28, 24, 16, 15, 14, 13, 10, 9, 9, 8

What's the difference between a Cup winner and not? How do you know? They also gave up the fewest goals in 13-14, and then opened the playoffs down 0-3 while giving up 17 goals.

For me, it's always tough to know what comes first. Is a roster constructed poorly, or does a roster just not produce? Are those one in the same? Does it not produce because of poor construction? Can a roster be constructed correctly, but not get results? Eller had 1g and 8pts in his previous 25 playoff games, which comes out to 26pts over 82 games. This year, 7g and 18pts in 24 games, which is 62pts over 82. What changed? When the Caps window shut after losing again last year, how did they correctly construct the roster? Is keeping and playing a 37 year old Brooks Orpik doing things right? They won, so the answer must be yes. Can you construct a roster poorly, but still get results? Is bringing in a relatively unproductive bought out player from the 3rd worst team in the league on a 1 year league minimum contract a positive thing for a roster?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Individual voting revealed: NHL awards ballots from PHWA members

One guy voted for Taylor Hall as first team center, even though he didn't play center outside of handling faceoff duties for awhile since Nico Hischier was struggling. A different writer voted for Kopitar at left wing.

One of the Athletic writers had these five for his Norris: Klingberg, Hedman, Giordano, Manson, Hamilton

Did enjoy this section as well:

Twelve voters submitted ineligible All-Star team votes, nullifying their All-Star selections: Kristen Anderson (Calgary Herald), Steve Dryden (TSN), Jesse Granger (Las Vegas Sun), Jeff Hamilton (Winnipeg Free Press), Mike Heika (Dallas Morning News), Pat Hickey (Montreal Gazette), Renaud Lavoie (TVA), Alison Lukan (The Athletic), Joe McDonald (The Athletic), Kevin McGran (Toronto Star), Charlie O’Connor (The Athletic), Adam Vingan (The Tennessean).

Four voters submitted ineligible All-Rookie team votes, nullifying their All-Rookie selections: John Dietz (Arlington Daily Herald), Alison Lukan (The Athletic), Mark Whicker (Orange County Register), Josh Yohe (The Athletic).

[/getyopitchforks]

Reactions: King Trouty

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I was inebriated last night, but after I reached that point where I start to post sloppy and derail our thread and act a stupid fool, I stopped posting and just started Liking. I held restraint even tho I was ping'ing.

Much thanks to @Kylo Ren, @kingsholygrail, @Raccoon Jesus, @Ziggy Stardust, @deaderhead28 @Sol and the rest for rep'ing us beautifully on the main board and saving me from more infractions (i love my current avatar, keep your filthy, dirty paws off it Mods :) ). There are fans in this forum that may not care about our presence on the main board, BUT I DO. It's so important to me; if you don't - move along, nothing to see here.

Kings fans and players and our Club, AND OUR SUB, were beautifully represented by the posters above, as well as several more I'm forgetting, on the main board

It's the offseason, tho it is gearing up, that's why I'm posting this. Fukk yeah I'm rah rah about our sub and posters.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_1955.GIF
We're Kings family,I may not agree with you guys 100% of the time, but I do give credit when I do and will come in to help a fellow Kings fan on the boards.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
NHL Public Relations‏Verified account @PR_NHL
The @NHLPA and the @NHL announced that the Team Payroll Range established for the 2018-19 League Year, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, provides for a Lower Limit of $58.8 million, an Adjusted Midpoint of $69.15 million and an Upper Limit of $79.5 million.
2:20 PM - 21 Jun 2018
--------------------
Gives the Kings around ~$10M with 18 players signed, i'm excluding Rempal and Budaj.

Los Angeles Kings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Just saw “That’s Hockey” on TSN and they did a segment from the draft with Dreger, PL and BobbyMac...

Pittsburgh and St. Louis intersted in Jeff Skinner, per LeBrun. Seems that Skinner would be LA’s fallback if they miss on Kovalchuk.

Bobby Mac mentioned LA and SJ are very interested in Kovalchuk. I believe LeBrun mentioned LA submitted an offer.

Lehner to not receive a QO from Buffalo, will be a UFA.

Something mentioned regarding Ryan O’Reilly and Montreal but I missed it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It will be hilarious if Montreal trades the #3 pick for Ryan O'Reilly.

Nothing against O'Reilly but he is not what Montreal needs at this point, if they were contenders who had a flukey bad year then thats a different story, but they really need to blow it up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Zucker is a Vegas native. I grew up playing inline with his older brother, Evan.

It would be pretty cool to see Zucker in Vegas. Engelland has the “home town boy” moniker, but he only lived here for a few years when he played in the ECHL. Zucker actually legitimately grew up here and played hockey here as a youth.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It will be hilarious if Montreal trades the #3 pick for Ryan O'Reilly.

Nothing against O'Reilly but he is not what Montreal needs at this point, if they were contenders who had a flukey bad year then thats a different story, but they really need to blow it up.

When I first heard it, I thought that was an outlandish ask for O'Reilly. But the more I thought about it, it wasn't as bad as I thought. O'Reilly for 3rd overall sounds horrible, but if you substitute in Brady Tkachuk or Jesperi Kotkaniemi, it doesn't sound quite as lopsided (allegedly they told Filip Zadina that they wouldn't be taking him). Five immediate prime years of O'Reilly versus seven years of Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi could be defensible. Especially if they're planning on reaching for Kotkaniemi and his best case scenario is that he becomes something similar to O'Reilly. Maybe not exactly the same scenario, but it'd be like swapping a young Olli Jokinen for a prime Ziggy Palffy. They could simultaneously trade Pacioretty for picks/prospects.

Montreal's in a tough spot with Price/Weber being the cornerstones.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zucker is a Vegas native. I grew up playing inline with his older brother, Evan.

It would be pretty cool to see Zucker in Vegas. Engelland has the “home town boy” moniker, but he only lived here for a few years when he played in the ECHL. Zucker actually legitimately grew up here and played hockey here as a youth.

There was a goalie there around the same time, maybe a bit older, who I was surprised didn't also make it. Best goalie I had ever played against, think he ended up in the AHL or something. I'll see if I can find the name.

Reactions: King Trouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Where did he play? I can't remember the youth teams out of there anymore, but I was coaching one of them for a year or two,

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When I first heard it, I thought that was an outlandish ask for O'Reilly. But the more I thought about it, it wasn't as bad as I thought. O'Reilly for 3rd overall sounds horrible, but if you substitute in Brady Tkachuk or Jesperi Kotkaniemi, it doesn't sound quite as lopsided (allegedly they told Filip Zadina that they wouldn't be taking him). Five immediate prime years of O'Reilly versus seven years of Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi could be defensible. Especially if they're planning on reaching for Kotkaniemi and his best case scenario is that he becomes something similar to O'Reilly. Maybe not exactly the same scenario, but it'd be like swapping a young Olli Jokinen for a prime Ziggy Palffy. They could simultaneously trade Pacioretty for picks/prospects.

Montreal's in a tough spot with Price/Weber being the cornerstones.
There was hardly a Montreal fan to be found who criticized the ridiculous contract Price received.

Reactions: KingTrouty

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sens continue to clean house, Anderson on his way...

Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli 1h1 hour ago
We can add another Senator to the list. #Sens are working with agent Justin Duberman to try and find a potential new home for G Craig Anderson. Nothing imminent. He has two years left at $4.75M and, oddly, has been statistically excellent every other season for last number of yrs
55 replies 198 retweets 314 likes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad