Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In general stuff does usually average out over the season... but... who would have thunk that Neal would end the season with a 5% shooting percentage or that Jankowski wouldn't score his first goal until the season was more than half over. Sometimes stuff just doesn't average out. Sometimes you just end up with a long run of bad luck. Why are the Flames having such a poor season this year compared to last when the roster is virtually identical? Frankly I think the team is just experiencing a long run of bad luck and I don't have very high hopes that they will now experience a long run of good luck to average things out.
Did the Flames have a better than they should have regular season last year? Possibly. Are the Flames having a worse than they should have season this year? I think so. I think with the way the season is going so far, and the bad luck that the team has experienced, that the Flames are going to have to fight and scratch for every point they get from now until season end. The team is better than the points show but I don't expect a bunch of easy wins, in the next 30 games remaining, to make up for all the tough losses so far, to average out the record.

Or maybe its because we (once again) have reverted to a cycle style with awful transitional play? As we saw under Hartley and Peters (in year 1), this team's bread and butter is scoring off the rush. With a supposed "mobile" defense we have, its facepalm worthy the amount of times I see us do d to d passes in our own zone and let the other team clog the middle. Same shit happened under Gulutzan and our "luck" never reverted to the mean.

Seriously, there are entire games in which I can count on one hand the number of times we enter the offensive zone with the puck cleanly (even when they can, it always turns into a chip and chase play that usually sees us cough up possession), yet a lot of other teams don't have that same issue against us for some reason (cough cough our hilariously passive play in the neutral zone and giving every player space). Doesn't help that our forecheck is also hilariously passive (cough cough does this remind you of another recent coach), on many occassions only having a SINGLE player persue the puck. Yeah, I doubt our "luck" fixes itself until we get a new coach (and another top 6 rh fwd).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Jankowski and Stone in, Kylington and Rieder out

What it should be

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ryan (sliding Ryan to centre on his strong side)
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Jankowski - Robinson

Brodie-Hamonic will have about 2 shifts. Been there. Done that. Threw out the souvenir.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Jankowski and Stone in, Kylington and Rieder out

Oliver needs a game or two eating popcorn.
The defensive side of the game isn't something that comes naturally to him. He needs to simplify the way he plays, or he'll only ever be a tweener. That's coming from someone who still thinks there's a little offensive top4 in there somewhere.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
As long as we're hitching our wagon to Ward or whatever 2nd tier coach we employ next, we're pretty much rearranging deck chairs with these kinds of line changes. Still, for the umpteenth year in a row, we have enormous amounts of overpaid deadwood on this team that enjoy impunity

However at this point, Dube should be sent down for his own good for Czarnik who is well-deserving of a spot up here.

Buddy Robinson feels like a last-ditch effort to appease Gaudreau (See Familton)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As long as we're hitching our wagon to Ward or whatever 2nd tier coach we employ next, we're pretty much rearranging deck chairs with these kinds of line changes. Still, for the umpteenth year in a row, we have enormous amounts of overpaid deadwood on this team that enjoy impunity

However at this point, Dube should be sent down for his own good for Czarnik who is well-deserving of a spot up here.

Buddy Robinson feels like a last-ditch effort to appease Gaudreau (See Familton)

Frankly, I don't see why Lucic should stay in the lineup if he isn't going to bring the literal singular attribute he is presently getting ice time to supposedly perform. Jankowski doesn't bring anything either. No need to send down Dube, just give him a better role where he is currently at. Bring up Czarnik and Gawdin:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Robinson
Tkachuk - Monahan - Mangi
Dube - Ryan - Backlund
Bennett - Gawdin - Czarnik

*If Robinson fades, switch him with RW du jour.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Frankly, I don't see why Lucic should stay in the lineup if he isn't going to bring the literal singular attribute he is presently getting ice time to supposedly perform. Jankowski doesn't bring anything either. No need to send down Dube, just give him a better role where he is currently at. Bring up Czarnik and Gawdin:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Robinson
Tkachuk - Monahan - Mangi
Dube - Ryan - Backlund
Bennett - Gawdin - Czarnik

*If Robinson fades, switch him with RW du jour.
Robinson's certainly brought more to the BoA than Lucic has, both from a scoring and physical standpoint. Not a chance in hell he's The Answer to our goalscoring woes and the fact the he fell ass-backwards onto a line with Gaudreau is peak Calgary Flames nepotism

I'd still pressbox Moneybags Milan forever for Robinson, who moves deceptively well for a guy his size and is half-decent with the puck.

I'm not sure how Hamonic keeps surviving on our middle pairing

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So Ward finally changes up the defence only to haven Brodie on the wrong wise with Hamonic.

Hopeless. Just hopeless.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Ward is plugging holes with wet napkins yet Benny is back with Janks on the 4th line

What a circus.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Outside of Lucic's placement I'm fine with those lines. The lot of you are so caught up in trying to hate on the team and being depressed it's sad. Why come on here or even watch hockey if all that comes of it is complaining and crying?

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Those lines are gross...

And how Lucic and Hamonic survive their roles... dumbfounding.
You constantly want Hanifin and Hamonic separated, but now that they are you want to complain about how they were separated? How else would you want the d-pairings to go?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

Those are common sense pairings most seem to want. And they could probably trade Hamonic and replace him with Stone without much if any of a drop off.
Hamonic to Stone is a massive drop off. The exaggeration of how bad Hamonic has been is getting wilder every day. Should he be playing as much as he should be? No. But is he anywhere close to Stone quality wise? Hell no. The drop off felt from that move would be drastic and felt immediately. Stone is not capable of doing what Hamonic does.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Outside of Lucic's placement I'm fine with those lines. The lot of you are so caught up in trying to hate on the team and being depressed it's sad. Why come on here or even watch hockey if all that comes of it is complaining and crying?

Didn’t you know, being sad and negative is the new being happy and positive

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If they start him ahead of Kylington...

giphy.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hmm...might have to reconsider my opinion on Treliving. A Brodie trade coupled with a Hamonic extension would be incredibly idiotic. Yes, Brodie is likely worth considerably more in the trade market, but he's also considerably better than Hamonic. On top of that, the desperation to bury Kylington too. Are they really that obsessed with being so thoroughly mediocre? What is with this franchise. Will there ever truly be a day and age when the Flames don't need to be saved from themselves?

Regarding Bennett, for his own sake, he need to be traded. Can't imagine the frustration at seeing a guy like Robinson given every chance to succeed. Mangiapane, as good as his potential is, can go ages without any production on the top line and yet, no movement. Bennett on the other hand, maybe a couple of shifts in the top six every now and then, and if no immediate and sustained production, it's back to purgatory. He's wasting his career here.

Reactions: FlamerForLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad