Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Well it is Matt Kassian.
I think there will be some scrums but the game itself may disapoint. Zack Kassian is kind of the wild card here though, dude can be crazy at times.

I’m sure he will lay some big hits but I think he will focus more on hockey. That’s really how you hurt the Flames big scoring on them. That’s the hurting part.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I’m sure he will lay some big hits but I think he will focus more on hockey. That’s really how you hurt the Flames big scoring on them. That’s the hurting part.
Calgary shrinks too when the game becomes too physical. They added two tough guys but did not adress that need really IMO. Colorado ran them out of the rink, Calgary needs someone big and tough in their top six but a guy that could play the game as well. Like a Wendal Clarke or a Jerome Iginla type, especially if you have a dirty player like Tkachuk in the top six because he will rile up the wrong team eventually.

On the other hand that top six you guys have is pretty decent skill wise so I don't know who you take out to put in a power forward.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Robinson likely won't even play. I've lost count of how many players the Flames have brought up from Stockton and they end up sitting in the press box for a couple of games and back down they go to Stockton.

Sounds like what we did with William Lagesson for a good while.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Buddy was pretty good in his first outing. He can skate and keep up with the play. He’s big and gritty. I like what he brings. It would be nice to see a 10 game stint and not just a game here and there.... to get a good feel of what he can do.
He is a little quicker then what I though he was. Still though 28 years old it is not like he is a prospect.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Buddy was pretty good in his first outing. He can skate and keep up with the play. He’s big and gritty. I like what he brings. It would be nice to see a 10 game stint and not just a game here and there.... to get a good feel of what he can do.

Imagine when he turns 29

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It changed? I thought that was always the case for the tie breaker rule? What was the tie breaker before that?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
All it takes is having one more point than the other team and RW means squat. I'll take a win any way we get it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
All it takes is having one more point than the other team and RW means squat. I'll take a win any way we get it.
It's less the standings that I think people are talking about; more that having less RW is a potential indicator of a team's inability to win in the playoffs, where it doesn't deviate from 5v5.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It's less the standings that I think people are talking about; more that having less RW is a potential indicator of a team's inability to win in the playoffs, where it doesn't deviate from 5v5.

Ahhhhh but having less RW with more points is also an indicator of a team’s inability to lose in the playoffs, where it doesn’t deviate from 5v5

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Maybe so but I also believe that the Flames RW record isn't as good as it should be because the Flames have had the misfortune to play a number of games where they played very well, and should have won in RW, but they were up against a really hot goalie that night that basically stood on his head.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
While I do agree with this, last season we had 45 regulation wins and we all know what followed in the playoffs but it'll definitely be encouraging if we can start to put teams away in 60 minutes.

Sidenote: The last time we won a game by more than 1 goal was December 27th in Edmonton, every single win in January was a 1 goal win. Pretty weird having a 7-2-1 month with only a +1 GD

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It would be ridiculous if there were that many ties that a team with the same points as other playoff teams can't even nab a wildcard spot.

I think we'd be fine though.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Ahhhhh but having less RW with more points is also an indicator of a team’s inability to lose in the playoffs, where it doesn’t deviate from 5v5
Sounds like the kinda material for an Optimism Thread (TM).

Maybe so but I also believe that the Flames RW record isn't as good as it should be because the Flames have had the misfortune to play a number of games where they played very well, and should have won in RW, but they were up against a really hot goalie that night that basically stood on his head.
Perhaps, but that kind of stuff averages out over the course of a season, IMO. And other teams go through the same thing, that's not something that's exclusive to just the Flames.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Perhaps, but that kind of stuff averages out over the course of a season, IMO. And other teams go through the same thing, that's not something that's exclusive to just the Flames.
In general stuff does usually average out over the season... but... who would have thunk that Neal would end the season with a 5% shooting percentage or that Jankowski wouldn't score his first goal until the season was more than half over. Sometimes stuff just doesn't average out. Sometimes you just end up with a long run of bad luck. Why are the Flames having such a poor season this year compared to last when the roster is virtually identical? Frankly I think the team is just experiencing a long run of bad luck and I don't have very high hopes that they will now experience a long run of good luck to average things out.
Did the Flames have a better than they should have regular season last year? Possibly. Are the Flames having a worse than they should have season this year? I think so. I think with the way the season is going so far, and the bad luck that the team has experienced, that the Flames are going to have to fight and scratch for every point they get from now until season end. The team is better than the points show but I don't expect a bunch of easy wins, in the next 30 games remaining, to make up for all the tough losses so far, to average out the record.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I expect huge cries of outrage from certain fans.
kid_crying.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->