Around the Dome 2016-2017: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I actually like the flags and bought the jersey when I did because I heard the flags were only supposed to be there for the one season to celebrate the anniversary of something, but then they just kept them on.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The only thing I can think of is that since the lockout took place in 04-05, the flags might be there to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Alberta joining Confederation

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really? The alternate is the retro jersey, which should be our regular jersey, not an alternate. That's the best move Pittsburgh ever made, going back to the retro. Calgary should do the same.

I think he was referring to the wordmark jersey and forgot that they stopped it before this past season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was. Not a fan of that one.
There were elements I liked, others I didn't. I loved the shoulder patch, liked the striping. I didn't mind the shoulders, although I didn't like the cowboy style to them. Overall I think if you replaced the wordmark with the black logo and it's a decent looking jersey.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There were elements I liked, others I didn't. I loved the shoulder patch, liked the striping. I didn't mind the shoulders, although I didn't like the cowboy style to them. Overall I think if you replaced the wordmark with the black logo and it's a decent looking jersey.

I liked them enough to get a Monahan one. The wordmark is.. not great. Everything else about the sweater is really nice though. Wish they had used the shoulder patch as a crest though.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah as much as I crapped on that alternative jersey, the only thing that I really hated was the wordmark. Unfortunately I disliked it more than I liked all the other good parts of it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah as much as I crapped on that alternative jersey, the only thing that I really hated was the wordmark. Unfortunately I disliked it more than I liked all the other good parts of it.

I'd be pleased if that template with our black logo was the new home jersey, maybe without the black shoulder yokes

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brad Treliving in studio with Boomer and Pinder

• At 17, 18 Treliving was still figuring out how to walk and chew gum at the same time

• Thinks Vegas will have some higher salaries on the wings (hint hint hint)

• Doesn't think the Flames make the playoffs without the Stone deal
  • Still thinks Lazar is worth more than whoever the Flames would have taken in the second round this year
  • Not trading the first for only 82 games of help
  • Moving up is difficult; move down scenarios is something they're looking at; crystal ball is they're picking at 16
  • They're some high risk-rewards picks at 16 they're playing with

• Brad talks to everybody and has lots of friends

• Maybe better for Parsons to get starts at ECHL level than juniors; strongly suggests both Rittich and Gillies are better served by spending another year developing

• Been in touch with Versteeg's agent the other day; would like to have him back; priorities are goaltending and blue line

• Offersheets seldom work but does envision a day when they're a more popular practice; less players reaching UFA and a flat cap

• Thinks Jankowski should have been rookie of the year in the AHL; whether he makes the NHL depends on his summer/atittude; knocking on the door, challenging for a spot (basically makes it sound like it's his spot to lose)

• Ferland's a unique player; can be dominant at times; one of a few guys that combine size and skill
  • "What's underrated about Micheal is his skill; he's a skilled guy. He's got an excellent shot, skilled hands..."
  • Challenge for Ferland is consistency; they'll get a contract done, if nothing else arbitration will get it done
  • "I look at Micheal as a unique player who could have a real impact for us. I'm excited...I think he's scratching the surface of what he can attain. He's an important player for us." (yup, sounds like they're just itching to get rid of him)

• Retain the rights to Rafikov for perpetuity; defected player
  • Mattsson rights they hold for another year; they'd like him to continue his development in North America

Looks like Parsons is taking his talents to Kansas City next year

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He also said don't expect any movement before the expansion with the Flames. He basically confirmed what we figured out. If we aquire someone then someone else that he likes gets exposed.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@Calc, regarding Ferland. I assume you're talking about the post I put on the mainboard?

For those that didn't see it, there is a poster on this board and one of my really good friends that play ball hockey with Ferland. Ferland told both of them that he hasn't had any communication from the Flames and he is unsure if he'll be back in the fall. It's obvious the Flames like him, but odd that they have not expressed their desire to have him be a part of their plans moving forward. Like they literally have not talked to him at all.

I can guarantee this info, my friend literally told me the exact same words regarding Ferland as the poster on this board expressed. Based on those comments, I found out that they knew each other.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Nah. Didn't see that. More directed to the general underrating of Ferland, i.e, penciling him in on the 4th line and whatnot.

With regards to contract negotiations, Treliving seems to have an established pattern; it's college & European free agents, trades, the draft, UFA's and then last of all, RFA's. As Treliving said, arbitration will ensure it gets done one way or the other so it's on the backburner until other priorities get taken care of.

It's weird they haven't spoken at all but they were similar rumors around the Gaudreau negotiations so maybe that's just how this front office conducts its business with RFA's.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nah. Didn't see that. More directed to the general underrating of Ferland, i.e, penciling him in on the 4th line and whatnot.

With regards to contract negotiations, Treliving seems to have an established pattern; it's college & European free agents, trades, the draft, UFA's and then last of all, RFA's. As Treliving said, arbitration will ensure it gets done one way or the other so it's on the backburner until other priorities get taken care of.

It's weird they haven't spoken at all but they were similar rumors around the Gaudreau negotiations so maybe that's just how this front office conducts its business with RFA's.

It's not good business practice really. A simple call to the Agent to show intent would go a long way. The whole Gaudreau thing how they had no communication was an embarrassment really. I get why they do it that way, but I'm not a fan.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not good business practice really. A simple call to the Agent to show intent would go a long way. The whole Gaudreau thing how they had no communication was an embarrassment really. I get why they do it that way, but I'm not a fan.

Yeah, seems pretty dumb on the surface. Good way to alienate players for absolutely no reason; Gaudreau more or less hinted at that when he acknowledged and thanked everyone save the organization after he was re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad