Around the Dome 2016-2017: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Euro leagues are not as physical, so hopefully he doesn't re-injure himself. When he decides to hang them up for good I'd be happy if the Flames brought him back in a management/player development/coaching capacity. Sounds like he was good with the youngsters in Stockton this year.

What was his role in Stockton?

Smid's a really likable guy, even if he had that greasy past. I hope he does well there. I always hoped he'd come back in some capacity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Probably the easiest decision the Flames have to make all summer. Would be shocked if they didn't at this point
You actually have that much faith in the Flames regarding uniforms? I don't, not even a little. I have a feeling we will see something similar to what we have now except maybe without the piping and a change in should patches.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
You actually have that much faith in the Flames regarding uniforms? I don't, not even a little. I have a feeling we will see something similar to what we have now except maybe without the piping and a change in should patches.

Call it blind optimism then. I'm spooked as well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yeah, I am fully expecting just an 'Adidas' version of what we currently have. Which means less striping and patches.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I hope our jerseys feature a handwritten "Cowtown" across the front, with a flaming horsehead on each shoulder.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/burke-not-worried-expansion-one-bit/

Here are some of the things I picked up from what Burkie said:
- Praises Johnson for his November run.
- Praises Elliott for his run towards the end of the season.
- Goaltending wasn't good enough in the playoffs but defends Elliott saying we wouldn't be in that position without him.
- Need to figure out the goaltenders for next season and defence.
- Says some goaltenders won't be in play until after the expansion draft, so they will watch what Vegas does.
- Says Treliving did a good job in signing McCollum and Bartkowski to meet the exposed requirements.
- Player they lose to expansion is a player they can afford to lose.
- The Expansion draft will open up more deals to be made.
- Says they're not worried about expansion at all.
- May lose a guy they don't want to lose but will have cap consequences that are favourable to us (losing Stajan, Brouwer or Bouma is what I think he means).
- Says they weren't worried about losing Treliving at all, they were always going to wait until the end of the season to negotiate a contract with him.
- The Flames do contracts for staff at the end of the season, media made it a big deal.
- Says Treliving has done an excellent job.
- Poor start due to a number of reasons (Mony & Johnny missing training camp, Completely new system, goaltending wasn't as good as it could have been).
- Says Gulutzan kept telling the players he believed in them during the tough start.
- Leadership group helped the transition.
- Says Gulutzan is very smart, a pleasure to work with and doesn't complain at all.
- Says Gulutzan does not ask for certain players, instead sees the roster he has and says he will work with that. Is really good with young players. Really impressed with him.
- Reason they only qualified 3-4/12 RFA's last year was for the cap space, said that we may see decisions like that this year.
- Still thinks we need to get bigger, issue with that is he thinks you need to draft those players (players with size and skill).
- Thinks if the pens advance they have what it takes to death Nashville, doesn't think the Sens do but then says the Sens continue to defy logic and that they have a good team.

EDIT: He discusses the size thing around the 16 minute mark, if you want more context on it.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah whatever they turn out to be will probably be hideous even though we have the best colour scheme in the league.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/burke-not-worried-expansion-one-bit/

Here are some of the things I picked up from what Burkie said:
Thanks
- Says some goaltenders won't be in play until after the expansion draft, so they will watch what Vegas does.
Raanta and/or Grubauer, come on down.
- May lose a guy they don't want to lose but will have cap consequences that are favourable to us (losing Stajan, Brouwer or Bouma is what I think he means).
So long Brouwer and thanks for all the fishthe one solid week you had

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
As long as we don't have a white C with a black outline on our homes, a la 90s, I'll be happy

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the not qualifying RFAs thing, makes me think Chiasson may not get qualified like Colborne

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pretty sure we tried to qualify Colborne. He just took the bett eroffer from the Avs

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pretty sure we tried to qualify Colborne. He just took the bett offer from the Avs
That's not how qualifying offers work, you don't try to qualify someone you either you do or don't.

A qualifying offer is essentially a 1 year contract offer that by simply offering it allows you to retain their rights if they are a pending RFA (the vast majority are rejected). If you do not give a qualifying offer they become a UFA (like Colborne) rather than a RFA. If you do not give a player a qualifying offer, you can still re-sign them but as of July 1st they can speak to other teams.

When giving a qualifying offer, the salary offered in it is based off a percentage of their annual salary (not their cap hit). A qualifying offer is 100% of their salary if they make $660,000 or less, 105% if they made more than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000 (however the QO maxes out at $1,000,000 so it could technically be less than 105%) and if they made $1,000,000 or more the qualifying offer is 100% of their previous years salary. I believe AHL salaries remain the same in qualifying offers but I am not 100% sure of that. In addition the offer must also be a one-way deal if the player have played 180 or more games in the last 3 years, played 60 in the most recent season or did not clear waivers during the previous year, however I do believe if they are just becoming waiver eligible during the off-season like Kulak and Hathaway will, it is a two-way offer.

You can sign a player for less than their qualifying offer if they reject it. I know that seems odd but for fringe NHLers they may take a lower NHL salary to get more in the AHL (Wotherspoon did this last summer)

To retain the rights to our RFAs they must be offered:

Name | 16-17 Salary | QO Rate | QO Required
Sam Bennett | $925,000 | 105% | $971,250 one-way
Curtis Lazar | $832,500 | 105% | $874,125 one-way
Micheal Ferland | $900,000 | 105% | $945,000 one-way
Alex Chiasson | $900,000 | 105% | $945,000 one-way
Garnet Hathaway | $722,500 | 105% | $758,625 two-way
Tyler Wotherspoon | $625,000 | 110% | $687,500 two-way
Brett Kulak | $680,000 | 105% | $714,000 two-way
Jon Gillies | $925,000 | 105% | $971,250 two-way
David Rittich | $925,000 | 105% | $971,250 two-way
Ryan Culkin | $680,000 | 105% | $714,000 two-way
Linden Vey | $700,000 | 105% | $735,000 two-way
Kenney Morrison | $925,000 | 105% | $971,250 two-way

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only guy that makes sense to not qualify due to "cap reasons" would be Chiasson, no?
Yeah and only then it would be if they are afraid he might get a good arbitration ruling should he file for arbitration. Frankly if they offer him a 1x1 deal I suspect he would take it.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Doubt the jerseys will be retro.

Right now the Flames get to sell us a Home, an Away and a very popular Retro and they will eventually get to sell you another alternate as well. You think they'll just get rid of a SKU cause they're nice people? This is a team that raised ticket prices by 5% after being swept in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad