Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Enjoying the stadium series game. The bonus with how much the Pens and the Flyers are hitting each other is that they are our next two opponents.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Had the stadium series game on but didn't watch all that closely until Philly scored to make it 3-2 with a few minutes left in regulation. Pretty entertaining from that point on ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1-1 going into the final minute, Duclair gets a breakaway and hits the post. Flames go back the other way and win the game. Not good luck for Duc but I think folks in Ottawa are getting excited for the possibilities with him.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hope it works out for Duke. I also think people are over exaggerating how much Torts didn’t like him. I actually think he cared a lot about him. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy. If I’m right, I hope Torts comes out and says as much tomorrow when he meets with the media.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hope it works out for Duke. I also think people are over exaggerating how much Torts didn’t like him. I actually think he cared a lot about him. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy. If I’m right, I hope Torts comes out and says as much tomorrow when he meets with the media.

Yeah Torts cared. He also shouldn't have said so much to the media last week, especially not to the Quebec media where Duclair's family has to hear it. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Reactions: CPTN71

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yeah Torts cared. He also shouldn't have said so much to the media last week, especially not to the Quebec media where Duclair's family has to hear it. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Agree completely. I posted in the Torts riot act thread last week that, truth and/or effectiveness of his comments aside, I didn’t like them because people would interpret them as meaning Duke was a locker room cancer or troublemaker which is not true and not fair to him. Torts didn’t mean it that way, but he has to have the common sense with his comments to realize people will take things a certain way and protect a person from unnecessary scrutiny (in fact, in the SAME media session, he put his foot in his mouth with the comments about Panarin’s illness).

They also certainly didn’t help Duclair’s trade value. Wonder if we could’ve gotten away with just a 2nd + Duclair for Dzingel rather than having to do 2nd + 2nd + Duclair for Dzingel + 7th if he didn’t make those comments.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree completely. I posted in the Torts riot act thread last week that, truth and/or effectiveness of his comments aside, I didn’t like them because people would interpret them as meaning Duke was a locker room cancer or troublemaker which is not true and not fair to him. Torts didn’t mean it that way, but he has to have the common sense with his comments to realize people will take things a certain way and protect a person from unnecessary scrutiny (in fact, in the SAME media session, he put his foot in his mouth with the comments about Panarin’s illness).

They also certainly didn’t help Duclair’s trade value. Wonder if we could’ve gotten away with just a 2nd + Duclair for Dzingel rather than having to do 2nd + 2nd + Duclair for Dzingel + 7th if he didn’t make those comments.

It might have had a very small effect on the trade value, doubtful that much. Last week's trashing was just a more colorful version of what Torts has been publicly saying for months.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018

"Jon Cooper! Tampa Bay Lightning. Coach and team! Probably in SM-liiga no team plays as "slow" as Tampa Bay. Trap and delayed zone beginnings, short passing game and long offensive zone defensive game. Hardly any tackles. NHL and it's top team show direction."

The Pondering One has revealed the evolution of ice hockey to us.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

"Jon Cooper! Tampa Bay Lightning. Coach and team! Probably in SM-liiga no team plays as "slow" as Tampa Bay. Trap and delayed zone beginnings, short passing game and long offensive zone defensive game. Hardly any tackles. NHL and it's top team show direction."

The Pondering One has revealed the evolution of ice hockey to us.

Is he trying to say that the Bolts just play boring keepaway hockey?

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I am saying that we should not take this matter upon the Pondering One. The play will reveal as always.

Of course it is an interesting topic since there is hardly any discussion of the play despite the spring.

"Ah, finally Terho Lehterä and SaiPa have given in. Had to wait till January 2019: the Lappeenrantaans tug quite pure Meidän peli! They have played it already for three games. Only Kalpa anymore persevere with heretic hockey, and good so."

Kalpa is of course Alexander Texier's team coached by Sami Kapanen of the Kapanen clan who own the team alongside Scott Hartnell in the hometown of Jarmo Kekäläinen, Kuopio, where he built his summer cottage few years ago.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Jyrki, who asked the rhetorical question, I assume is either West Finn or East Finn due to it being a Finnish name so he might be able interpret the written in Finnish also. Of course he could be a Canadian Jyrki Lumme fan also.

His question then has been answered already by the Pondering One. He truly was the Leading One.

"When Tampa Bay plays in the NHL, only rarely they skate hard but then in the meanwhile harder than hard - and with the whole quintet. Otherwise Tampa Bay's players skate almost with their backs straight and yawningly passing the puck from blade to blade. Tampa plays hockey's Tiki-taka."

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Sorry Ruudu, I'm more of a Jyrki Lumme fan than a connoisseur of Finnish language and humor...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Somewhere in my collection of memorabilia, tucked away with Crosby rookie cards, a Wayne Gretzky autograph on a minor league baseball program (cool story), and other goods... I have a 2006 Spokane Chiefs program signed by Carey Price.

I had the chance to talk briefly with Carey, back when he was the top goaltending prospect in the world. You would have never guessed. He was a humble, unassuming guy who was really soft spoken and very articulate. Not one ounce of attitude or cocky, a genuine nice guy who was happy to mingle with the fans after a game.

Great kid, had to really work hard and go through a lot to get where he is. This video, is what it's all about.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Price's humility is not as surprising once you see where he is from. Pretty good old article here. I knew the bit about his mother being chief of the tribe, but didn't know they had to buy a tiny plane just to get him to the nearest indoor rink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad