GDT: 2024 Playoff Bandwagon Thread

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm rooting for the Rangers to at least make it to the Finals just for the spectacle of it all. New York City, humongous fanbase, shit load of media attention.

They're our bitch anyway, so its not like it's some equal rivalry or anything.

Rangers vs McDavid would be sick

Reactions: Stammertime91

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What is the logic for not suspending Marchand for shoving a ref? The rule says 10 games minimum.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hockey is so weird sometimes which makes it so fun. Everybody and their mom expected the well oiled and rested Panthers machine to steamroll the shaky and exhausted Bruins in game 1 at home. Bruins win 5-1.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into Game 1. They also did the same to us before losing 4 straight, lol.
Yep. Both in 2018 and 2020. 2020 looms large, as the Bruins got Game 2 to OT, before we took control and Palat got the OT winner. Imagine if the Bruins get the OT goal to make it 2-0 Bruins as opposed to 1-1 with the Lightning gaining confidence.

Bruins really want a Game 2 dub to put immense pressure on the Panthers going up to Boston.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not a yelly Dangle video.

The Leafs are a good example of why the tie goes to the baseman, IMO. Saying you're close is misleading. It's fantasy.

If the idea is that the players need to mature (if they've got the players). Then it's a mentality/leadership issue. You're admitting that. If the team ages, has a huge roster turnover, etc., but still falls short of expectations, it's still those issues.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not a yelly Dangle video.

The Leafs are a good example of why the tie goes to the baseman, IMO. Saying you're close is misleading. It's fantasy.

If the idea is that the players need to mature (if they've got the players). Then it's a mentality/leadership issue. You're admitting that. If the team ages, has a huge roster turnover, etc., but still falls short of expectations, it's still those issues.

As a massive Leafs hater who takes great joy in their pain, here are some observations I've made:

1. Most teams start to get large amounts of hype AFTER they go on a deep run to at least the Conference Final (2008 Penguins, 2009 Blackhawks, 2015 Lightning, 2017 Predators). The Leafs, in major part because of their market size, fanbase, media bias/convenience bias, got massive hype BEFORE they went on any run. Set expectations way too high, way too fast.

2. The Tavares signing in 2018 knocked the Shanaplan off its original axis from consistent progression steps every year to need to contend and win a Cup as soon as possible. It also made Nylander, Marner, & Matthews want more money as RFAs, which nuked their cap structure before they won anything of substance.

3. Forcing Lamoriello out in favor of Boy Wonder Dubas and giving their RFAs all the money & a ton of other future events wasn't smart in hindsight.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
As a massive Leafs hater who takes great joy in their pain, here are some observations I've made:

1. Most teams start to get large amounts of hype AFTER they go on a deep run to at least the Conference Final (2008 Penguins, 2009 Blackhawks, 2015 Lightning, 2017 Predators). The Leafs, in major part because of their market size, fanbase, media bias/convenience bias, got massive hype BEFORE they went on any run. Set expectations way too high, way too fast.

2. The Tavares signing in 2018 knocked the Shanaplan off its original axis from consistent progression steps every year to need to contend and win a Cup as soon as possible. It also made Nylander, Marner, & Matthews want more money as RFAs, which nuked their cap structure before they won anything of substance.

3. Forcing Lamoriello out in favor of Boy Wonder Dubas and giving their RFAs all the money & a ton of other future events wasn't smart in hindsight.
Signing half of the cap into four forwards was always controversial.

I didn't really understand the Shanaplan when the idea was that Lou/Babcock (on a long term deal) would lead into Dubas/Keefe.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Leafs just might keep running it back, but I don't see why Treliving would have an attachment to Sheldon Keefe.

Two of the three guys scheduled for Friday are relatively new to the organization.

Shanahan sort of doesn't matter right now. You fire him to what, get a guy who hires a new GM? They got a new GM last year.

Reactions: Renopucker

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Just checking on everyone. I figured the implosion from the Laffs nuking out again would have shattered the board and left fallout everywhere.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Self-indocued concussion protocol initiatied.

I was sad Dallas didn't pull it off in OT. I want to Avs knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad