Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They went and did it.
https://twitter.com/AHLIslanders

This is like the Bears redesign but with an extra step. Sound Tigers fans think that the Isles are going to move the team. Bridgeport isn't even on an island. Basically they "rebrand" in a way that guts you like a fish and demoralizes you first. I'm still down because of what OSB wears.

There's a lot of puppetry fans surrounding the minor leagues, so giving anything unique or distinctive over to a bigger business is something that will get at least a decent amount of support by casuals.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Are players getting vaccinated or better question: are they fully vaccinated already?
There have been a few players that stated they (and teammates) have been vaccinated. Hopefully it's been widely adopted - it's been pretty easy to get a shot here in the states for awhile now, and with J&J and Pfizer it doesn't take long to be fully vaccinated.

I'm still seeing COVID cases in the ECHL too, so probably a lot of guys are between doses at this point.

It seems super easy to get an appointment in Florida though. The Biden administration directed pharmacies to allow walk-ins, so CVS, Walmart, etc. do so now. Publix will start on the 10th.

When I got my second shot a few days ago, it was basically me and one other person. I was out early.

Isn't Canada mostly the AZ vaccine? I think the issue with that one is the lag time between doses is pretty long (much longer than the US vaccines).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There have been a few players that stated they (and teammates) have been vaccinated. Hopefully it's been widely adopted - it's been pretty easy to get a shot here in the states for awhile now, and with J&J and Pfizer it doesn't take long to be fully vaccinated.

Isn't Canada mostly the AZ vaccine? I think the issue with that one is the lag time between doses is pretty long (much longer than the US vaccines).
AZ was the big one in Europe, I know.

Something started by the Trump administration, and carried over by Biden was that you couldn't export any US-produced COVID vaccines, which is what's slowing Canada down so much.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Don't know how much of this is true or if Eichel's just trying to use anything to get out of Buffalo while not wanting to be seen as the "bad guy". There's so much image management hockey, wish people didn't give a f*** like basketball or football.

Like when Karlsson was literally faking tears saying he didn't want to leave Ottawa, gave them a ridiculous 10m ask to make it seem like they were too cheap, then they called his bluff and he still left. :laugh:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Don't know how much of this is true or if Eichel's just trying to use anything to get out of Buffalo while not wanting to be seen as the "bad guy". There's so much image management hockey, wish people didn't give a f*** like basketball or football.

Like when Karlsson was literally faking tears saying he didn't want to leave Ottawa, gave them a ridiculous 10m ask to make it seem like they were too cheap, then they called his bluff and he still left. :laugh:
With Karlsson, there's also the history with Alexei Yashin. HFB's emoticon for money in the eyes :yashin: is still called ya$hin.

They hated the guy. This was before social media as we know it, and it was largely because he didn't manage his image.
ESPN.com - NHL - Yashin rejoins Senators without remorse
Yashin's fall from grace

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I respect that Sound Tigers fans will not kneel. I think that the Bridgeport AHL social media is showing that they're feeling the pressure.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

I follow Buffalo close. The latest is about his neck injury. Its a disc problem Jack wants surgery to fix it and the team wants him to just rehab. This has put a divide even more with Eichel, he has not been happy with the way the team rebuild has been handled. He gave them a chance when he signed the contract but it has been the same old crap. Poor coaching, worse player signings to make the team better. The organization has been hell bent on icing young playerswho were not ready for the league like Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Risto and to some point Dahlin. All should have had time in the AHL it hurt the team not developing them and putting them on a roster that has been poorly coached. They beat the hell out of Skinner moving him to the 4th line but when coaching changed he was put back into the top 6 and started playing better. They have held on to Okposo who is just not very good at hockey the goaltending has been just put on the pads and go out there. Get a decent goalie and competent coaching and this team could be a .500 team there not as bad as people bash.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I follow Buffalo close. The latest is about his neck injury. Its a disc problem Jack wants surgery to fix it and the team wants him to just rehab. This has put a divide even more with Eichel, he has not been happy with the way the team rebuild has been handled. He gave them a chance when he signed the contract but it has been the same old crap. Poor coaching, worse player signings to make the team better. The organization has been hell bent on icing young playerswho were not ready for the league like Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Risto and to some point Dahlin. All should have had time in the AHL it hurt the team not developing them and putting them on a roster that has been poorly coached. They beat the hell out of Skinner moving him to the 4th line but when coaching changed he was put back into the top 6 and started playing better. They have held on to Okposo who is just not very good at hockey the goaltending has been just put on the pads and go out there. Get a decent goalie and competent coaching and this team could be a .500 team there not as bad as people bash.

Well see, this came out today:

Eichel neck injury rehab agreed upon by doctors, Sabres GM says

Independent doctors have agreed with the team that rehab is the best option, looks like Eichel's was pushing for a procedure that's never been performed on a NHL player before, that's a huge risk and considering it's on an asset like Eichel I gotta agree with Buffalo here. It's an unreasonable ask and seems like it's just part of pushing his agenda of wanting out by blowing things out of proportion.

Adams said team doctors diagnosed a herniated disk in Eichel's neck and discussed the next steps as conservative care and rehab treatment, hoping Eichel would return this season. Adams said Eichel sought a second opinion, and the Sabres supported that.

"Anytime a player in any medical situation wants to get another opinion, I think it's great," Adams said. "The more information, the better, and that's what he did."

Adams said team doctors and Eichel's doctors agreed on the conservative approach.

"Typically, in this situation and in their experience, there's a high probability that through a conservative rehab approach, you are able to avoid surgery and you are able to come back and perform at the top of your game," Adams said.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Independent doctors have agreed with the team that rehab is the best option, looks like Eichel's was pushing for a procedure that's never been performed on a NHL player before, that's a huge risk and considering it's on an asset like Eichel I gotta agree with Buffalo here. It's an unreasonable ask and seems like it's just part of pushing his agenda of wanting out by blowing things out of proportion.
Yeah from what I understand operating on discs or the spine in general is pretty risky as it tends to have a domino effect on the rest of the column, making things worse.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Well like anything there are two sides to the situation. In the end it is a individual choice Eichel will make. I am not one to rush into surgeries all of them I have had have had negative complications. I suffer from back issues and thats one area I will not allow to be cut on. With that said it is still Eichels choice. The team can have 100 doctors all with opinion and this could be the team covering there butts too against his contract. Surgery is IMO not the thing a young guy needs to do many times it is career ending in sports. In everyday life it is life altering. Causing one to change careers or in some cases forcing one to not be able to work again period. I think the team has the best interest of Eichel but Jack has the final say here. Yes there will be implications to his contract and what he does will be a personal choice. Only time will tell what happens but I expect his decision to be soon if he is going to have the surgery. If he does he will not play in Buffalo again but some team will give him a chance. Years ago Paul Karyia had a controversial knee surgery that many teams though he could never come back from. The Predators took a chance on him and he did have two great years before falling off. Then there is Nathan Horton who grappled with the surgery decision and ending his career. We do not know Jacks whole story, but someone has convinced him that surgery is the best option. So hes done in Buffalo but the question is is he done in the league with surgery or can he come back?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well like anything there are two sides to the situation. In the end it is a individual choice Eichel will make. I am not one to rush into surgeries all of them I have had have had negative complications. I suffer from back issues and thats one area I will not allow to be cut on. With that said it is still Eichels choice. The team can have 100 doctors all with opinion and this could be the team covering there butts too against his contract. Surgery is IMO not the thing a young guy needs to do many times it is career ending in sports. In everyday life it is life altering. Causing one to change careers or in some cases forcing one to not be able to work again period. I think the team has the best interest of Eichel but Jack has the final say here. Yes there will be implications to his contract and what he does will be a personal choice. Only time will tell what happens but I expect his decision to be soon if he is going to have the surgery. If he does he will not play in Buffalo again but some team will give him a chance. Years ago Paul Karyia had a controversial knee surgery that many teams though he could never come back from. The Predators took a chance on him and he did have two great years before falling off. Then there is Nathan Horton who grappled with the surgery decision and ending his career. We do not know Jacks whole story, but someone has convinced him that surgery is the best option. So hes done in Buffalo but the question is is he done in the league with surgery or can he come back?

It's actually not an individual choice and he cannot get any surgery he wants, he is under contract and the team has control over this kind of stuff hence why he's "upset". You'd be a moron to terminate the contract he has to get an uninsured surgery with your career on the line, he can cry and whine all he wants but if he believes it's the best option then he just has to walk away from the guaranteed 50m he has left on his contract.

I don't think any team in the league is going to approve that with 5x10m being on the line, even if it's insured, the assets used to acquire Eichel would be significant.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's actually not an individual choice and he cannot get any surgery he wants, he is under contract and the team has control over this kind of stuff hence why he's "upset". You'd be a moron to terminate the contract he has to get an uninsured surgery with your career on the line, he can cry and whine all he wants but if he believes it's the best option then he just has to walk away from the guaranteed 50m he has left on his contract.

I don't think any team in the league is going to approve that with 5x10m being on the line, even if it's insured, the assets used to acquire Eichel would be significant.
If he wants out badly enough, contract termination would do it.

The PA would probably support him, at least tacitly, which would save face. It'll be on the Sabres for not doing the thing and then punishing him.

I don't know if the CBA allows for the player to maybe sign some health waivers, then the Sabres got him.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bruins/Caps is the biggest matchup of the first round. Hopefully Boston takes it, we don't matchup well against Washington.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Bruins/Caps is the biggest matchup of the first round. Hopefully Boston takes it, we don't matchup well against Washington.

This is my conflict as well. Always inclined to root against Boston, whatever the sport is, but I know the Capitals are, at worst, our 2nd-worst matchup out there, with only Colorado comparable (mostly on the basis of their overall talent level). Really don't want them getting past this round, and we caught a huge break when the Islanders took them out last year when they would've been our second round opponent.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Hate Caps and Wilson, but like Oshie.
Hate Bruins and Marchand, but like Pasternak.

Don't care who wins, just want them to beat each other up and take the series to 7 games, all with OT.:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad