Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Fighting is entertaining (setting aside BJ Crombeen "hold on for dear life" type of fighting).

The consequences of fighting are immense, however, and that's where the issue gets. I get hyped during a fight all the time because I'm a giant man-child. But I also think the league should ban it because CTE, concussions, and the lingering effects are inhumane.

Like I'm sure gladiatorial fights were a f***ing gas back in the day. Dude fighting a tiger? That's probably entertaining as hell at a base level. Doesn't mean we should bring it back.
I generally find fighting sort of boring overall. If there's some emotion to it, then I can find it engaging.

The point of why I posted it is because I'm seeing an increasing gap between social media and reality. I remember a few years ago the Solar Bears gained a sponsorship from a local dog track (this was before Floridians voted to ban dog racing). The fanbase absolutely hated the sponsorship, but all of these people came out of absolutely nowhere to astroturf the hell out of it, and how they were such big fans now (and then we never saw them again).

A Twitter mob says that fighting is done for, and some people in the media will actually believe them, but you look at how the people in the crowds respond, and it doesn't comport with reality. The structure of the pro game itself still demands it.

I don't like what Tom Wilson does, but I like the concept of Tom Wilson as a meta hockey player. Pushing boundaries to absurd levels where reality breaks.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

This is the dumbest f***ing league.

I mean the fine was going to happen - can't directly call for a guy's head like that in a press release. And honestly, it's probably somewhat misplaced w/r/t ire because DoPS probably has little independent authority within hockey ops - this is Campbell's baby (and by extension Bettman). I honestly thought after the Sundqvist hit Wilson would get the Torres treatment, and that would be the right call. But it's like they got gunshy after the arbitrator cut it from 20 to 14 and you're left with a DoPS that just isn't capable of punishing the dude.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
As Justin Bourne pointed out, how about somebody talks to a player that wasn't a tough guy.

Fighting is technically 'against the rules', but c'mon. Special teams are part of the game. It's not like they got the cops called on them.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
A good scrum, line brawl or a big hit get me way more excited than two guys dropping the gloves after puck drop at center ice.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
As Justin Bourne pointed out, how about somebody talks to a player that wasn't a tough guy.

Fighting is technically 'against the rules', but c'mon. Special teams are part of the game. It's not like they got the cops called on them.

I just don't buy that. Last night wasn't the Rangers "policing the game". It was pissed off players letting off some steam. Wilson isn't *not* going to be a piece of shit because Brandon Dillon (or whomever) got in a fight.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I just don't buy that. Last night wasn't the Rangers "policing the game". It was pissed off players letting off some steam. Wilson isn't *not* going to be a piece of shit because Brandon Dillon (or whomever) got in a fight.
It doesn't have to be good policing.

Finn is also a career minor league/Euro leaguer, so he's seen the refs fail pretty often. We know how NHL officiating is. Think of the guys who aren't as good as that. You have to be willing to bully the other team (at times) in order to do anything because the refs are being tough guys and literally won't call anything. There isn't game management. There's no management.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It doesn't have to be good policing.

Finn is also a career minor league/Euro leaguer, so he's seen the refs fail pretty often. We know how NHL officiating is. Think of the guys who aren't as good as that. You have to be willing to bully the other team (at times) in order to do anything because the refs are being tough guys and literally won't call anything. There isn't game management. There's no management.
I just don't think the Rangers are in a position to do that "policing". It's a small, young team, and the Caps are probably the biggest and toughest. The reason why self-policing doesn't work is what do you do when the bad guy is just bigger and stronger?

Big reason why the NHL failed big time on this at pretty much every conceivable level.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
"Terribly unfair to question George Parros" They're acting like he's this super qualified guy when he's just some former crappy player who's been out of the game for a few years.. :laugh:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
"Terribly unfair to question George Parros" They're acting like he's this super qualified guy when he's just some former crappy player who's been out of the game for a few years.. :laugh:
He's an expert on giving and taking punches.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Are players getting vaccinated or better question: are they fully vaccinated already?

I'm still seeing COVID cases in the ECHL too, so probably a lot of guys are between doses at this point.

It seems super easy to get an appointment in Florida though. The Biden administration directed pharmacies to allow walk-ins, so CVS, Walmart, etc. do so now. Publix will start on the 10th.

When I got my second shot a few days ago, it was basically me and one other person. I was out early.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

I'm still seeing COVID cases in the ECHL too, so probably a lot of guys are between doses at this point.

It seems super easy to get an appointment in Florida though. The Biden administration directed pharmacies to allow walk-ins, so CVS, Walmart, etc. do so now. Publix will start on the 10th.

When I got my second shot a few days ago, it was basically me and one other person. I was out early.

Heard that Tampa is one of the teams that has 85%+ of its travel crew vaccinated fully so they'll get the more lax COVID protocols that a ton of US teams are getting.

Reactions: Felonious Python
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->