Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tidbit I found just now that seemed appropriate, given the postponement of games earlier in the playoffs.
Stanley Cup Notebook | 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Playoff Postponements
The assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. forced the postponement of three series games during the quarterfinal rounds of the 1968 Stanley Cup playoffs. Match-ups between the New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues and Philadelphia Flyers, and Minnesota North Stars and Los Angeles Kings were delayed by a minimum of two days.

Keep in mind that MLK was not widely beloved at that time.

edit: The season that made "Mr. Hockey" - Macleans.ca
The league held its inaugural Miss NHL pageant, crowning the former Miss Minnesota North Stars, Lynn Marie Stewart (she’s one of three women to hold the title—the idea quickly fizzled).
yo, why tho?

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Possibly, but I'd say he dodged a bullet on both of those jobs. Hope he gets something better soon!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Possibly, but I'd say he dodged a bullet on both of those jobs. Hope he gets something better soon!
My issue with Weekes is that he's a media guy trying to go directly to GM. He can say the right things, but what does he have to show? Bills Zito and Armstrong check the boxes.

Craig Patrick actually hired Ed Olczyk as Pens head coach (now granted Mario Lemieux was owner/player at this point), but what track record did Olczyk have? Just TV I'm pretty sure. I remember at the time the criticism that he was just a figurehead and completely unqualified for such a job.

and the less said of Melrose, the better.

Weekes needs something. AHL or Major Junior GM, coaching, scouting, AGM'ing or some other hockey management experience.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Check all the NHL Awards voters speaking their own personal truths with their full ballots.

Wayne Redshaw (whoever that is) gave Alex Killorn a first place vote for the Masterton.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
New MLB/Turner deal

No mention of a combined Turner sports network. A "TSN" if you will. The NHL still has another year though.

I'm eyeing AT&T/Turner more than most on a new NHL deal to take over the TBS schedule when the MLB season is out. It'd be the secondary deal, with the league staying with NBC/SN as their big network partner.

Fox doesn't quite make sense to me, or at least I don't know if it does. They've sold so much of their sports division, would they really be all that interested? Why sell the regional Fox Sports channels just to pick up a sport that would benefit from that infrastructure?

CBS is for old people. ABC/ESPN would seem to be hurting for money at the moment, although they've still got some walking around money.

A built from the ground up AT&T/Turner sports network for the current landscape with the NBA, MLB, and NHL contracts could really put the screws to ESPN and NBCSN.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
May be something, may be nothing (I think the latter) but a Blast-from-the-Past is in the news

From the BOH Board (credit dalewood12)

Maple Leafs winger Darcy Tucker fed the puck to Shayne Corson, who snuck a shot past the goalie to help seal a 6-3 win over the Phoenix Coyotes.

The men were more than just teammates; they were brothers-in-law and confidants who formed a pair that fellow Leafs called Brother Love, and their connection ran deep. A day before that Dec. 11, 2001 game, Tucker wired $32,000 to an account with a U.K. brokerage and joined Corson in investing in the risky world of foreign currency trading.

Their gambit scuffled in the early years, with Tucker and Corson each declaring millions of dollars in business losses.

But that was part of the plan, according to the Canada Revenue Agency.

The high-profile players’ investments were actually a tax sham designed to minimize the CRA’s cut of the millions they made from their NHL salaries, the tax agency alleges.

In court filings, Tucker and Corson deny the CRA’s allegations, saying the trades were real and were legitimately done with the intention to make money through currency speculation. Both men say their currency trading yielded a profit in subsequent years, and the income was reported and taxed.

They made millions playing for the Maple Leafs. The CRA alleges they participated in a ‘sham’ to skirt paying their fair share of taxes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
May be something, may be nothing (I think the latter) but a Blast-from-the-Past is in the news

From the BOH Board (credit dalewood12)

They made millions playing for the Maple Leafs. The CRA alleges they participated in a ‘sham’ to skirt paying their fair share of taxes
The article is behind a paywall.

They're Canadian, but since US day trading at least, became more restricted in Aug 2001, they may have seen Forex as a way around pattern day trading rules.

They were active NHL players, so I'd think that they'd have bots doing the trading, but in 2001, I also think they wouldn't be all that advanced yet, which would probably make them (tax) inefficient.

This was also shortly after 9/11, which is now the textbook black swan stock market event. Hard to predict what's going to happen after something like that.

I find it very believable that they could have lost money even if that wasn't their intent.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Now reported Hornqvist learned of the trade from media reports before he was asked to waive his no-trade clause and his Penguins teammates were angry about the trade.

On Friday, Hornqvist told the Florida media, including our sister site Florida Hockey Now, that he decided to accept the trade when he learned “Pittsburgh didn’t want me…”

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
ESPN Wants Back in on NHL TV Rights After Hockey Hiatus
Sports media observers believe NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman wants to split the league’s TV and digital rights among multiple media partners — like the NFL, NBA, and MLB do — to maximize rights fees.
It's good for viewers too. They'll be forced to listen to viewers if another channel is doing it better.

Amazon got mentioned as a possibility. That's somewhat intriguing. Amazon Prime Video's interface needs a rework, but they've got a good catalog no one talks about. The site has gotten so large, with so many components now, it's become unwieldy.

Buying a can of tuna is a mess. You can order it regularly. You can order it regularly with Amazon Prime shipping. You can order it through Amazon Pantry ($30 minimum order required). You can order it through Whole Foods (a different $30 minimum order required). The pantry price and the regular Amazon Prime purchase cost different amounts for the same item. If you put 'smile.' before the address, Amazon will make a donation to the charity of your choice.

I just want lunch.

Last edited:

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Hopefully they kill it on the next TV deal so the cap doesn't stay stagnant for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->